snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Fun House

Old 23 April 2011, 07:58 PM

Personally, I think Calvin and Hobbes should have switched roles here. It's not like Hobbes had any objections to joining Susie's dolls for tea. He kinda liked it in fact.

Old 25 April 2011, 02:11 AM

Somepony actually worked out the math on Rainbow Dash's amazing save of Rarity and the Wonderbolts at the end of Sonic Rainboom...

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3/7349t.jpg

Old 26 April 2011, 01:51 PM

More overthinking...
Quote:
This show, aimed specifically at 5-10 year old girls, has garnered an impressive following amongst males and females commonly aged between 18 and 30 years old. They follow the episodes, create fanart and fanfiction, design their own characters, and relish the chance to talk pony with like minded individuals. This meme hasnít just spawned a sub-GENRE; itís spawned an entire sub-CULTURE! Complete with all its own in-jokes and spinoffs.

http://cosmicspacefrog.tumblr.com/po...overly-complex

And in-depth character analysis of Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie. Presumably, the other characters will get the same treatment:

http://cosmicspacefrog.tumblr.com/po...s-the-first-of

http://cosmicspacefrog.tumblr.com/po...ere-its-pinkie
Old 28 April 2011, 03:47 PM

Pony Friends!

Old 05 May 2011, 07:06 PM

Cheer

No pony material for a week? Unacceptable.

Finally Alan Mare's work has been faithfully adapted to the big screen:

Pinkie Pie always has been a bit of an anarchist.

And the latest from the director of 'Trot Fuzz'.

Fluttershy really makes a great Lucas Lee.

- Il-Mari
Old 05 May 2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il-Mari View Post
No pony material for a week? Unacceptable.
Someone on another 'board accused me of being obsessed. I've scaled back posting memes and videos so I won't annoy anyone else with my squeeific fangirlishness.
Old 06 May 2011, 12:25 AM

Cheer

I'm trying to decide which of these I like better:

Maps of Equestria
http://matims.deviantart.com/art/Map...tria-198136482

http://yoorporick.deviantart.com/art...tria-198573958

I like the art style of the black and white map, but the color version is done more in the style of an RPG setting map. It's also more spread out, which makes it easier to fit in homebrew stuff.

Yes, as a gamer I've given thought to playing an MLP campaign.

Pathfinder
http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards...cornsAndPegasi

Savage Worlds (by me! )
http://www.cosmiccastle.net/phpBB3/v...php?f=19&t=283

Maybe I am obsessed?
Old 06 May 2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
Someone on another 'board accused me of being obsessed. I've scaled back posting memes and videos so I won't annoy anyone else with my squeeific fangirlishness.
Yeah, it's probably best not to just have the two of us posting pony stuff one after the other.

Quote:
I like the art style of the black and white map, but the color version is done more in the style of an RPG setting map. It's also more spread out, which makes it easier to fit in homebrew stuff.
If I were doing that I'd frankly make my own, potentially using those two as basic guides. I've never used them myself, but I believe there are several programs that allow DMs to make campaign setting maps with pre-existing clip art for the terrain - and other than Cloudsdale there's nothing that's too hard to make look good enough for an overall map of the setting (Ponyville is basically your typical village from high up, Canterlot is a castle/fortress on a mountain, etc).

I do agree that the the first is probably better artistically, but it would be hard to use in practice. What I like is that it brings to mind the Lord of the Rings-type fantasy that was the basis for a lot of the concept sketches for the setting in the show:

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/0...endship-magic/

- Il-Mari
Old 06 May 2011, 04:54 PM

That concept art for Canterlot is gorgeous! I mean, I like the more whimiscal art style of the show itself, but the original version is just awesome.

And speaking of roleplaying...

There's a new fansite up and running, fillydelphia.com. They have in-character roleplay chat rooms, in-character forums, and out-of-character forums.

I'm registered there as Skyblaze, a daydreaming, somewhat clumsy pegasus pony.

Old 06 May 2011, 05:12 PM

Hello Kitty

Did you draw that yourself or is there a character generator somewhere?
Old 06 May 2011, 06:08 PM

There's a generator at derpyhooves.com. You have to add your own cutie-mark, though.

http://www.derpyhooves.com/games/custompony.html
Old 08 May 2011, 02:33 PM

As reported on Equestria Daily, and by Ms. Faust herself on her Deviant Art page, Lauren Faust is no longer directly involved in MLP:FiM.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/0...orking-on.html

http://fyre-flye.deviantart.com/journal/40428056/

Now, I'm not the type to engage in gloom and doom prophesy, but I must admit that I'm now anticipating the new season this fall with some worry. I don't want to think that the show will falter without her, but I can't help but feel a little twinge of worry when I think about it.

Everyone else associated with the show -- all the actors, artists, writers, and musicians -- is still working on it, so hopefully the high quality of animation, humor, and character development won't be changing. That's the saving grace to me. Lauren may be gone, but the people with the most direct involvement in making the show episode-to-episode are still working on it.
Old 09 May 2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
Now, I'm not the type to engage in gloom and doom prophesy, but I must admit that I'm now anticipating the new season this fall with some worry. I don't want to think that the show will falter without her, but I can't help but feel a little twinge of worry when I think about it.

Everyone else associated with the show -- all the actors, artists, writers, and musicians -- is still working on it, so hopefully the high quality of animation, humor, and character development won't be changing. That's the saving grace to me. Lauren may be gone, but the people with the most direct involvement in making the show episode-to-episode are still working on it.
I'm not worried about the second season since Faust was still involved with that and the team is pretty much completely the same. If anything, I have confidence that they'll have learned from the first season and made the show even better.

It's really the hypothetical seasons 3+ that might be problematic if they start to run out of ideas or Hasbro begins meddling to push their toys. The latter possibility is perhaps most disturbing, since I'm not sure how well the toys have been selling - and honestly, a lot of them don't seem that good or even related to the show, like Applejack's pink truck:

After all, the 'real' purpose of the IP is to sell toys, but I'm not sure how well the show's doing that. Ironically by making a better show, I think they may well have reduced to merchandising potential for the main products.

The best thing for fans to do in practice is probably to buy the DVDs/Blu-Rays relatively soon after they come out. Strong DVD sales have previously got the studios' attention when it comes to retaining or even resurrecting cartoons.

- Il-Mari
Old 10 May 2011, 02:11 AM

As much as a truck of any color would come in handy at an orchard as large as Sweet Apple Acres is supposed to be, it would be rather jarring for it to suddenly appear in a world where most other technology appears to be almost 19th-century in design and function. (The DJ Pony's high-tech turntable setup notwithstanding... )

I feel your trepidation as well. One can't really blame Hasbro for wanting to insert more marketing into a property that originally started as marketing anyway. It's sort of a Catch-22 for them: if they don't put at least some of the toys (other than the ponies themselves) into the show, it undercuts most of their profit from it, but if they DO glut the show with representations of the toys, they risk losing the non-target demographic who'd actually be the ones spending money on it in the first place.

And don't worry... I snatch up a copy of the season 1 DVD set as soon as it's available! They have my money!

Edit: Even more fussing... it looks like they *still* haven't given AJ her cowgirl hat. I see what looks like a ridiculous pink visor or maybe a neckerchief in the packaging, but no hat.
Old 14 May 2011, 12:41 AM

Devil

I'm a fan of Underling comic, but I was a little surprised to find that the creator was a fan of MLP. So I thought TGG would like to see the Lilitu Pony that he drew for this week's vote incentive. http://topwebcomics.com/vote/10078/d....aspx?id=10078

Of course, his pretty pony will suck your immortal soul out of your body and eat it.
Old 14 May 2011, 08:18 AM

Neener, Neener

Those pony generators are too generic. Time to get my photoshop on.

Bam.

Wow those posted large. Sorry, no idea how to shrink them.
Old 14 May 2011, 02:03 PM

Those are awesome, Venus! Fantastic work!
Old 15 May 2011, 01:27 AM

Interesting mashup: My Little Pony/Obama's speech announcing the death of Osama Bin Laden/America, F**K Yeah! (from Team America: World Police).

NFBSK because of the lyrics of the latter:

I love that lyrics with a dirty meaning can be portrayed with otherwise innocuous clips from the show, a reason I also greatly enjoyed 'Spike Nukem Forever' (Right in the jewels!):

- Il-Mari
Old 23 May 2011, 02:58 AM

Sergio Cavalleone directs a new kind of Western!!

Old 24 May 2011, 09:11 PM

Mal Little Pony