snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 07 February 2011, 06:34 PM

Default Egyptian Christians protecting Muslim worshippers

Comments: This pictures is supposed to be from the protests in Egypt.
Egyptian Christians protecting their fellow protesting Muslims while they
are in their prayers. Is that what it really is?

Old 07 February 2011, 07:00 PM

It would be nice if it was, especially after the display from a month or so ago of local Muslims joining to protect Christians from Muslim extremists. But is there anything about this picture to suggest the hand-holders are Christians, other than that they do not seem to feel the need to joinin that group prayer? Actually I would be interested to know what is really going on with the Copts right now - I had read when the protests started that they were having a lot of angst because while Mubarak has not done all that much to protect the Copts, he also has not persecuted them, as factions of the opposition have indicated they intend.
Old 07 February 2011, 07:35 PM

The photograph apparently originates from Nevine Zaki's twitter feed. The Daily Mail's story has another of her pictures:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-protests.html
Old 07 February 2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
IBut is there anything about this picture to suggest the hand-holders are Christians, other than that they do not seem to feel the need to joinin that group prayer?
Don't observant Muslims pray at set times of the day? They might not be observant, of course.
Old 08 February 2011, 07:01 AM

While not conclusive evidence, one thing that I've noted among Christians in Egypt is that they are very proud of it, and often display crosses in some form, such as necklaces, tattoos (usually on the wrist), jewelery or on the clothes. Now, we don't have enough people to draw any conclusions, but it's at least some indication that these guys don't have any visible insignias.

That said, there is a fairly peaceful coexistence between Christians and Muslims in Egypt. Sure, occasional conflicts do happen, but, all in all, they treat each other as two variations of the same religion. As this is a political conflict, not a religious, I don't see why the description of the photo should be wrong. It may very well be as it is described, in which case I applaud the initiative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Don't observant Muslims pray at set times of the day? They might not be observant, of course.
They can make exceptions, such as in times of conflict. This leads me to believe that there was no immediate danger, as that would have allowed them to postpone the prayer until a later time.
Old 08 February 2011, 07:45 AM

So Muslims and Christians are the sole occupants of this planet? If you're not (observant) Muslim then obviously you must be a Christian?
Old 08 February 2011, 12:35 PM

Or they might have decided that protecting their fellow muslims was more important at that moment then praying themselves.

Of course you can't have that - muslims deciding on their own in religious matters. (Not directed at you, Lainie, but at the OP poster who assumed that everybody not praying must be christian.)

Don Enrico
Old 08 February 2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Well, yes - five times a day, if fully observant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Or they might have decided that protecting their fellow muslims was more important at that moment then praying themselves.

Of course you can't have that - muslims deciding on their own in religious matters. (Not directed at you, Lainie, but at the OP poster who assumed that everybody not praying must be christian.)

Don Enrico
From StoneAge's link, though, it seems clear that the OP comment was based on the story that accompanied the picture originally. The reporter might be wrong, of course, but it seems unfair to describe the OP poster as making assumptions.
Old 08 February 2011, 02:13 PM

And if they did make an assumption, I don't think the assumption made was insulting to Muslims, or suggestive that Muslims aren't capable of making their own religious decisions.
Old 09 February 2011, 05:27 AM

I didn't read the link and maybe jumped to conclusions about the OP poster myself. I retract that statement.

Don Enrico
Old 09 February 2011, 08:29 AM

The other day on EuroNews, I saw Coptic Christians celebrating a mass on Tahrir Square, protected by the Muslim crowd, after which they shielded the Muslims while they were praying.

I wonder if this photo was taken at this moment, because the article speaks of people protecting each other's places of worship.

Anyway, the population is thus giving a strong symbol that the most important thing in their eyes is to be Egyptian, no matter what religion (or lack thereof).

The fanatics on all sides must enrage.