snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 04 January 2011, 09:43 PM

Icon97 Baby yoga

Comment: This is the video of the woman slinging a "baby" around, calling it
baby yoga. This just cannot be real, but I cannot find anything to prove the
people that it's not. I think that there is a real baby in parts of the video, but
not the whole thing. I've scrutinized it, but maybe y'all can help.

Old 04 January 2011, 11:37 PM

Holy crap. That was seriously alarming; I really was waiting for her to drop the poor baby! I can't understand how this is good for the baby in any way. Does anyone know what language the writing is at the beginning and end?
Old 04 January 2011, 11:40 PM

That's no form of yoga I've ever seen!

I "think" the language is Russian, but I'm not 100% on that.
Old 04 January 2011, 11:56 PM

I can't tell you how many times I gasped and covered my mouth in horror (like when she swung the poor guy above her head by the arms!!). Maybe calling it "yoga" is supposed to make it seem credible? Or something?

ETA: Durrr....I just saw that it indicates "Russian" right there on the embedded video.
Old 05 January 2011, 01:51 AM

It looks very much like a very realistic doll, to me.

Besides, wouldn't a real baby be screaming its head off?
Old 05 January 2011, 02:56 AM

I'd bet money that that's an articulated doll with weighted feet.
Old 05 January 2011, 04:18 AM

That is crazy. Iif you look at 5 minutes and then again at 5:11 you'll see that the baby obviously moves on it's own. I think there were a few other parts where it moved too. I wonder if the poor baby is drugged
Old 05 January 2011, 04:37 AM

Wait-- isn't that essentially the same video we had on a thread, a while ago, where it was supposed to be a circus family, and the guy was teaching the baby the family trade, acrobatics? That one was Romanian, or something. That kid was a little older.

Those are Cyrillic letters, and the first part says "bebe-ehoga," sort of, which would be baby yoga.

Now, acrobatics is popular in Eastern Europe, and apparently so are videos of doing it with a baby, or toddler, but whether people are really doing this with babies, or faking it, but people think it's real, or everyone knows it's fake, it's just funny, I couldn't tell you.

Man. This is the kind of thing my father would know. I miss him a lot, just for himself, and it makes me sad, but every now and them, I get a question I really want to ask him, and I can't, and it's so frustrating.
Old 05 January 2011, 04:57 AM

I'm very suprised to see the baby never pull its limbs in, go into fetal position. It also never seems to startle, which most babies would do in a sudden change in altitude.

My DD's phys therapist does do a form of baby yoga with her, and sometimes it does look alarming. modified headstands (basically hanging her by her ankles on her head) and modified cobra pose. (Lying on belly as PT stretches her back up.)
Old 05 January 2011, 05:00 AM

If the woman did a few of those things, then sped them up and looped the video, you could produce something that looked alarming, and it wouldn't be "fake" in the sense that it would be a real baby actually doing those things, but it still wouldn't be an honest representation of what happened.
Old 05 January 2011, 05:05 AM

BTW: I think it is Russian-- sounds like in the song, the chorus keeps repeating the word "padruga," which is the Russian word for "friend."

I was trying to watch the trees to see if it looked looped, but then I realized it could be green-screened, so that was pointless.
Old 05 January 2011, 10:33 AM

Don't you think that the Russian URL at the bottom of the screen indicates something?
Old 05 January 2011, 11:38 AM

I thought "Baby Yoga" was a Russian witch.
Old 05 January 2011, 01:14 PM

I will bet any amount of money that there is no baby involved in the production of this video. It seems super obvious that that is a digitally inserted image. The dancing baby meme from the dawn of the internet was more realistic looking.

Or am I missing a joke and people are feigning surprise at how well the baby seemed to handle it?
Old 05 January 2011, 02:14 PM

I'm another who thinks that the baby looks like it was digitally added in, I'm guessing the woman was filmed doing this with a doll and a CGI baby was substituted in in post production. I could be wrong of course, but that's what I would guess is going on here, it didn't look 100% real to me. I don't think there's anyway that many of those moves could have been done without seriously hurting an infant, plus I couldn't imagine what the benefit would be to the baby so it seems likely that this is just a hoax.
Old 05 January 2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
Don't you think that the Russian URL at the bottom of the screen indicates something?
I can't make heads or tails of the website, besides that it has links to a guestbook, a weather forecast site, and profiles for two different men, one of whom is wearing those silly glasses with a plastic nose attached.

ETA: According to Babblefish, this is what the main text of the page says:
Quote:
Gorun Alexander (GARYUCHKA)

Hello, GOST, PEACE AND SMILE ON YOU smile, set goals and achieve them, be an optimist and good luck to you, ...!!! ... In the world there is a right of everyone to seek the truth in its own way ... on this site you can get to know me and my friends.

...feel as you may change yourself...

weather forecast in my town, if you're going into our region, will help you choose the form of clothing ......
This is where to forecast is set to: Ukraine / Poltava / Khorolsky district / Khorol

Last edited by Starla; 05 January 2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05 January 2011, 06:26 PM

Icon97

Children dynamic gymnastics (baby yoga) (through Google Translate)

Quote:
Another architectural training from the Lena Fokin - dynamic gymnastics for children aged 0 to 2 years. The method consists in overcoming the force of gravity through regular dynamic exercise and as a consequence - prepare the children of the skill of observation and monitoring of physical sensations.
Ms. Fokina is seen in photos on this blog, holding infants in similar positions.

And dunking one in a pool, in this video.

Another dunking video.

Last edited by Tootsie Plunkette; 05 January 2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05 January 2011, 08:01 PM

Neither of those "dunking" videos seemed to be faked. The one in the pool seemed innocent enough, but the one in the ocean looked a bit worrisome to me. I had to watch it with the sound off so I couldn't tell if the baby was crying in it or not.

I still have my doubts as-to the authenticity of the video in the OP.

ETA: Ok I found some more video of the same woman and now I'm starting to think my initial assumption may have been wrong because this video shows her doing similar things to what looks like the same baby, and then continuing to do things to the baby when it is a bit older and these videos show (what looks to me like) an obviously real baby. There is some nudity in the video so it's NSFW, again I wasn't able to watch it with any sound on, so I'm not sure what the audio might tell us: http://www.spi0n.com/wtf/baby-yoga-facon-hippie-russe/

I also see that the video in the OP has been removed by YouTube, I'm not sure if it is still available elsewhere.

Last edited by Syllavus; 05 January 2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05 January 2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
The method consists in overcoming the force of gravity through regular dynamic exercise and as a consequence...
Seems that overcoming the force of gravity can be accomplished with one of those bouncy seats that attach to a door frame, yes? Also seems like a better way to avoid having your limbs pulled out of their sockets.
Old 05 January 2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
I thought "Baby Yoga" was a Russian witch.
That's Baba Yaga.

"Lena Fokina" was what the video, the one that was removed, had said under "Bebe-ehoga[yoga]." "Ehoga" is the best I can do to back-transliterate the really odd way the person who captioned the video chose to spell "yoga." There's no straight-up "Y" consonant, but there are several letters that are sort of Y+vowel.