Big, wherein he his sitting in class as a kid again and Susan walks in as
a young girl transfer student who has clearly used the Zoltan machine to
make herself young.

Apparently home releases of the movie in New Zealand included this ending
and people living in the UK and Canada claim to have seen it. Others,
including the film's director, claim this to be false. People swear by it
though.
Old 30 November 2010, 11:55 PM

I've definitely heard of that ending but I also remember getting suckered by the "hoverboards are real" UL that came out about the time of Back to the Future Part II so I am probably not the best person to ask.

According to this post, this ending was a "test screening" ending but didn't make it into the deleted scenes of the DVD; the author of this site sounds like they are not sure the scene actually exists either:

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/big.html

IMDB is pretty much a cesspool of ULs and badness but it does reference the rumor as well:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094737/alternateversions

I guess my biggest issue is that I'm just not seeing how you'd portray this in a movie. Kids, let's face it, don't look a lot like adults. Even if an adult shows you pictures of himself as a child, you're not necessarily going to instantly recognize the person you're talking to if, say, they're showing you a class picture. How are you going to portray a Zoltanned girl like this without actually showing her going up to Zoltan, etc.? It seems like something that would be very hard to pull off in a medium like this.
Old 01 December 2010, 12:06 AM

Shifty Eyes

If it hasn't turned up on YouTube by now, it almost certainly never existed as actual footage.
Old 01 December 2010, 12:06 AM

Well, you could show her as an adult walking toward the Zoltan machine and then cut to the classroom...
Old 01 December 2010, 12:11 AM

In my opinion, that would make the film super creepy. It already has a creepy vibe and the ending is sad for reasons beyond lost love, even though it is sort of sweet-creepy-sad. If she came back into his life as a child, it would be super-creepy-awful. It would destroy the film's message about him needing to live his life out as a kid and actually get to grow up and have all the normal experiences or whatever, wouldn't it? Ultimately, the two are incompatible because of their different maturities, right?
Old 01 December 2010, 12:36 AM

Icon97

And I think it would be a rather terrible experience to possess the psyche of a mature adult but be trapped in the body of a child.
Old 01 December 2010, 12:50 AM

It also raises the questions of where child-Susan would live, how does she provide for herself, how does she enroll in school without parents/guardians, what about her personal life, her family and friends, etc.

As it stands, Big already leaves the audience with a lot of questions, but an ending like that would just add more complications.
Old 01 December 2010, 01:58 AM

Snopes, I wouldn't re-live female puberty for anything.
Old 01 December 2010, 02:02 AM

I've always thought those days wouldn't be so bad if I'd been a bit more mature. But then, having lived as an adult would make you more than a bit more mature.
Old 01 December 2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
As it stands, Big already leaves the audience with a lot of questions, but an ending like that would just add more complications.
I thought of that too, but given that the movie isnít all that realistic anyway, I doubt that the audience would think of those complications. I mean she could always reverse the effects if she could find the Zoltan Machine if it became a problem.

I doubt that it ever made it past the first draft if it existed at all simply because it is a terrible ending.
Old 01 December 2010, 02:51 AM

Wow, I'm getting the pseudomemory of having seen it. I know that I didn't, since it doesn't exist, but I can picture it in my head perfectly.
Old 01 December 2010, 05:00 AM

I would relive male puberty if I knew that I had my one true love with me. It'll be less drama and more sex.
Old 01 December 2010, 05:00 AM
Fatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mela681 View Post
Wow, I'm getting the pseudomemory of having seen it. I know that I didn't, since it doesn't exist, but I can picture it in my head perfectly.
I was having the same phenomon. I guess that is why so many people claim to have seen, things like the Groucho UL, or Arnold Palmer, or Zsa Zsa on the Carson shows UL.
Old 01 December 2010, 06:25 AM

Slight nitpick - It's a Zoltar, not Zoltan.

Yes, I've seen the movie once or twice.
Old 01 December 2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
Slight nitpick - It's a Zoltar, not Zoltan.

Yes, I've seen the movie once or twice.
Nobody messes with the Zoltan!

ETA: The rumors about the alternate ending all seem to come from a special New Zealand and/or Australian release of the movie. You being closer to there, perhaps you have heard these rumors a bit more than we have. You have anything else we might not know about? Please answer in a way that does not mess with the Zoltan.
Old 01 December 2010, 09:28 AM

Australia

I have never heard of the alternate ending. My daughter has my copy, so I can't readily confirm or deny the myth, but this review seem to clarify the matter:

Quote:
The movie's ending remains untouched; the final 15 minutes or so are identical to the theatrical cut, surely to the dismay of those who (perhaps incorrectly) remember an alternate ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Slick
Please answer in a way that does not mess with the Zoltan.
If you move she could slip and slice your jugular vein, on accident. There is no way to stitch the jugular. All of your blood will be on the floor in four minutes. I have seen this. I have done this. You don't want this.

The weather in Australia is much cooler after we got rid of the apartheid.
Old 01 December 2010, 10:27 AM

In this alternative ending, how come when Josh wishes to be 'big' at the sinister machine it does so (in typical 'corrupted wish' fashion) by mind-swapping him with his father, but when Susan wishes to be little it just makes her younger?
Old 01 December 2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStar View Post
In this alternative ending, how come when Josh wishes to be 'big' at the sinister machine it does so (in typical 'corrupted wish' fashion) by mind-swapping him with his father, but when Susan wishes to be little it just makes her younger?
What movie were you watching? Are you thinking of "Vice Versa", starring Judge Reinhold and Fred Savage? It was also released in 1988. Or was it "Young Again" with Charlie Schlatter and George Burns. It came out about the same time. Or "Like Father, Like Son" with Kirk Cameron and Dudley Moore, release a year earlier? They are all loosely based on the "Freaky Friday" movies, where the child and adult change bodies. However, in "Big", no such switch takes place.
Old 01 December 2010, 10:57 AM

You're right, all those films have meldd into one in my mind!
Old 01 December 2010, 12:16 PM

Tantrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
Snopes, I wouldn't re-live female puberty for anything.
Amen!

I always thought Big was kinda creepy anyway. I know he's in an adult body, but having a sexual relationship with a woman, then she finds out you're a kid . . . I would feel sooooooo dirty if I were her.