snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Inboxer Rebellion

Old 12 November 2010, 02:44 PM

Icon106 No Christmas music in Walmart?

I found this rant by one of my facebook friends this morning, and I was wondering if there was any truth to it:

Quote:
Wal Mart has decided that playing Christmas music is offensive to some so they wont be playing it this year,how have we gotten here ? I think this is wrong and I'm tired of NON CHRISTIANS getting their way, this music offends me , I dont think we should say the pledge of allegince, no Christmas plays in school etc AND WE WONDER WHY OUR WORLD IS IN THE SHAPE IT, ah I offend u ? I dont care , delete me ...
Basically, he's got the idea that Walmart has refused to play Christmas music in their stores, because it would be considered offensive. I know there was some outrage over employees being told to say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" some years ago, but I haven't heard anything about the Christmas music ban. Any truth to it?

The other thing is, I don't really remember ANY music being played at Walmart, Christmas season or not, and I've been to several in various cities (but I could be wrong.) Walmart always seemed to be one of the few stores that doesn't play music over the intercom.
Old 12 November 2010, 02:50 PM
Larue

Hmm that's a good point about whether Walmart ever plays music or not. Now that I think about it I haven't noticed any music being played in the times I've been in Walmart. I'm guessing it's because, at least in the Walmart near me, it's pretty damn big. Piped in music would probably not be heard very well.
Old 12 November 2010, 02:51 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiTheInvader View Post
The other thing is, I don't really remember ANY music being played at Walmart, Christmas season or not, and I've been to several in various cities (but I could be wrong.) Walmart always seemed to be one of the few stores that doesn't play music over the intercom.
The Wally Worlds that I have been to all seem to play music and I wish they didn't. With intercom pages every thirty seconds, all it does is aggitate me.

"Hey, where did we go?
Days when the rain CSM TO CASH FIVE FOR ROBBLEROBBLE HOBBERNOBITZ. CSM TO CASH FIVE FOR MUMBLE MUMBLE FRITZ..
In the mist morning rain with
our hearts a pumELECTRONICS FOR PRICE CHECK"
Old 12 November 2010, 03:00 PM

AND THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS BEGINS!

It seems a little late this year, doesn't it?
Old 12 November 2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
AND WE WONDER WHY OUR WORLD IS IN THE SHAPE IT, ah I offend u ? I dont care , delete me ...
I think this meaningless gibberish is a reflection of one of the real reasons "why our world is in the shape it" is in - or rather, particularly, the problems the USA is facing: an undereducated populace.
Old 12 November 2010, 04:28 PM

Wal-Mart has what is essentially its own internal radio station, with the same music being played on a loop in Wal-Marts across North America. What's played is not nearly as offensive to anyone as it is to the staff, who have to listen to the same songs over and over. My now-ex would get incredibly upset with me whenever I played Christmas music at home because he was so sick of hearing it incessantly at work for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week from November 1 to December 31.

All that said, it's been about four years since anyone I know has worked there, so things might have changed.
Old 12 November 2010, 04:46 PM

Am I the only one who would actually kind of like this to be true? I like some Christmas music-in small doses. I do not want to hear it constantly from the beginning of November to New Year's Day.
Old 12 November 2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
All that said, it's been about four years since anyone I know has worked there, so things might have changed.
If you are talking about the 25/7 same station thing, I would imagine that it hasn't. Having a unified station that all stores play reduces licensing costs and reduces the risks of suing by recording studios for re-broadcasting some random station times a thousand.

It's annoying (Target doesn't do that last I checked) but it is safe.
Old 12 November 2010, 04:57 PM

The two Wal*Marts close to me are both new stores in the last 5 years. Neither of them plays music at all. They have a few big screen mounted high up that air a few commercials, but no music. Personally, I like it better that way as most of the music played in store is either just bad or bad versions of good music, or played so often you don't care if you ever hear it again.

I dread the coming of Xmas music in my store (the one I work at not Wal*Mart.) I like Christmas music as in traditional carols etc. the crap they play at our store, and other stores around here is awful. Horrid "jazzy" remakes of "Walkin in a Winter Wonderland" where they "grooouoove" by the fire instead of dream (4 different versions of this in our loop last year) awful original things from the forties "Everybody's Waitin' for the Man With the Bag" Ugh! Just awful. No traditional carols though.

P&LL, Syl
Old 12 November 2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanz View Post
The two Wal*Marts close to me are both new stores in the last 5 years. Neither of them plays music at all. They have a few big screen mounted high up that air a few commercials, but no music.
This is what the Walmarts near me have, mostly just screens everywhere that play random commercials depending on what section you are in.

I did just run up to the one closest to me, though, and noticed that they already have their giant Christmas tree all decorated in the entrance already. (Or is it a "holiday tree"? )
Old 12 November 2010, 05:04 PM

I've only heard half of "The Christmas Shoes" once in The Nostalgia Chick's review, and it was enough to make me wanna puke. If I have to hear more in real life, I might hang myself rather than listen to it.
Old 12 November 2010, 05:07 PM

I don't remember ever hearing music in Walmart, but any store that does NOT play Christmas music is one that will get my money this season. I won't yet start my annual rant about how much I hate Christmas music, but I went into Michaels the other night and they were already playing it. Christmas has taken over one of my favorite stores, and I loathe going there right now.
Old 12 November 2010, 05:16 PM

Hello Kitty

Nothing will make you hate Christmas music as much as having to hear it every day for a month and a half each year. Especially Frank Sinatra versions, which is what they played at Trader Joe's when I worked there. I loathe Sinatra to this day. (And Christmas music, too. But mostly Sinatra.)
Old 12 November 2010, 05:32 PM
Larue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I won't yet start my annual rant about how much I hate Christmas music, but I went into Michaels the other night and they were already playing it. Christmas has taken over one of my favorite stores, and I loathe going there right now.
A store like Michaels would be shooting themselves in the corporate foot not to make a big deal about Christmas and as early as possible. Anyone Christmas crafty or wanting to be Christmas crafty isn't going to wait until December 24th to get into the Christmas mood and buy the stuff they need to make their own decorations etc.
Old 12 November 2010, 05:38 PM

I think it was really the Christmas music that put it over the top for me. But honestly, most of the Christmas stuff at Michaels isn't for making crafts -- it's animatronics, trees, and pre-made decorations, the same stuff you can buy at any Wal-Mart or Target. Perhaps it's different in other stores.
Old 12 November 2010, 05:46 PM

The Walmart I work at has nothing on overhead- there are some small screens situated here and there in the grocery area playing ads, but no overhead music, and pages are limited. I find it rather nice not to be subjected to music all the time, especially when the xmas season rolls around. Part of the reason is that the store I am at is striving to be one of the more 'upscale' Walmarts (oxymoron much?) so the focus is on wide aisles, clean displays, and less clutter in general.

Across town at the older store is another story. They have the overhead TVs blaring commercials, and loud obnoxious ads for merchandise and the McDonalds in the store, in English and Spanish. If I remember correctly, they would have xmas music playing between the commercials this time of the year. I would always come out of that store with a headache.
Old 12 November 2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Madeline View Post
AND THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS BEGINS!

It seems a little late this year, doesn't it?
It seams to come later and later each year, and I don't like it. Proof that "they" are trying to stop our righteous indignation, and I'll have none of that. THERE'S A WAR ON OUR WAR ON CHRISTMAS, PEOPLE! WAKE UP AMERICA!!!
Old 12 November 2010, 10:08 PM

I must be the luckiest person in the world in that I have never heard Christmas Shoes, and I'm not about to do a Google search for it!

Dawn--my MP3 player is a Feliz Navidad Free Zone--Storm
Old 12 November 2010, 11:09 PM

Wasn't Wal-Mart making a big deal a few years ago about how they were saying "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays"? Somehow I doubt they'd follow that up with a complete 180.
Old 13 November 2010, 01:27 AM

Roll eyes

It could be that they finally listened to people complaining about playing Christmas music too early and don't want to start until December, or at least Black Friday. If so, all the better for them, I say.
The Wal Mart that I used to go to used to play music, but the current one I go to does not or at least it doesn't right now. But then again I don't go to Wal Mart anymore enough to notice. It's further from my apartment. I live closer to a grocery store and a Dollar Tree so I do my grocery shopping there and I shop at a nearby Value World for my clothes shopping. I only go to Wal Mart for perscritions re-fills and the occasional thing that I can't get anywhere else.