snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 11 November 2010, 04:13 PM
mtngun

Default Did Maxine really dis "towel heads"?

A friend recently received one of those "pass it on" emails about the cartoon character Maxine, and Maxine's creator, John Wagner. It was mostly factual, but one of the cartoons included in the email seems awful suspicious.

Cartoon attached, and needless to say, the words and sentiments do not reflect my own opinions.

This is suspicious for two reasons. One, the text is obviously computer generated, whereas authentic Maxine cartoons normally have hand written text, or at least something that looks like it could have been written by hand.

Second, a lot of people would find the message offensive, and I doubt that John Wagner's employer, Hallmark, would want to be associated with such an offensive message. Obviously (to anyone with half a brain), not everyone who wears a turban is Muslim, nor are all Muslims terrorists, as this cartoon suggests.

I'd be glad to forward the entire email to anyone who is interested.
Old 11 November 2010, 05:07 PM

I just assumed it was a hoax. I got the e-mail, and because I have bunches of friends who just adore Maxine (I do too!), I just deleted the objectionable material and forwarded it to those I knew would appreciate the cartoons.

If it turns out I was wrong, I may have to re-think my Maxine adoration.

I do this a lot with things that I know some of my friends will appreciate, deleting things like forward to everyone, anything that promises bad luck for not forwarding and that type of drivel.
Old 11 November 2010, 05:13 PM

I'm pretty sure most people who wear turbans aren't Muslims.

I'm also sure this is a hoax, and that Wagner and/or Hallmark would be taking action against its creator if it were remotely feasible to do so. If that were my cartoon, I'd be furious.
Old 11 November 2010, 05:21 PM

The font used there is not only not the font usually associated with Maxine, and I can tell from the pixels and seeing a few shops in my time.
Old 11 November 2010, 05:46 PM

It's also not Maxine's "voice". And I've seen exactly those words before without her attached to it.

I think it's very clear that it's NOT a legitimate Maxine statement.

It's so easy to place a jpg next to a block of text, it's not even in the "is this photoshopped" field - it's so far below photoshopping as a skill to achieve this effect.
Old 11 November 2010, 05:48 PM

Yeah, I know that's not photoshopping, I was just referencing this meme.
Old 12 November 2010, 03:38 PM
mtngun

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it is an obvious fake.
Old 14 November 2010, 05:45 PM

Heheh, Ana yeah I got your meme, I meant in general. On this forum we discuss whether something could be 'shopped, and that's just so far below 'shopping it's ridiculous. Wasn't referencing your actual post at all.