Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Automobiles

Old 06 April 2007, 06:46 PM

Police Right turns only for UPS drivers

Comment: I have heard that UPS drivers are instructed to only make right
turns. Suposedly this is safer and saves UPS millions of dollars each
year.
Old 06 April 2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Christmas is just four days away, so in order to deliver holiday gifts and goodies faster, United Parcel Service is using a special delivery formula.

The company said that its delivery drivers have a no-left-turn rule.

It's just one of a number of techniques that UPS uses to speed up delivery times
http://www.kcci.com/entertainment/10586523/detail.html
Old 06 April 2007, 07:24 PM

Or perhaps in compliance with company procedure, he has to drive past the entrance to your parking lot, turn the van around, approach it from the opposite direction and turn right into it. That'd save him time (not).
Old 06 April 2007, 09:05 PM
OptimusShr

UPS guys have to make a left turn to get onto my street. They also have to make a left when leaving since I live on the corner of two one-ways.
Old 06 April 2007, 09:46 PM

It would be impossible to make only right turns. Our UPS drivers would never get home if they had to follow that rule. However, UPS procedures minimize the number of left turns that a driver has to make in his daily route. Minimizing is a great deal different from eliminating. (Sorry if my previous link was ambiguous about that.)

How Technology Delivers For UPS

Quote:
Not so long ago, UPS drivers worked off maps, 3-x-5 note cards, and their own memory to figure out the best way to run their routes. That changed in 2005 when UPS began to implement a $600 million route optimization system--think MapQuest on steroids--that each evening maps out the next day's schedule for the majority of its 56,000 drivers. So sophisticated is the software that it designs each route to minimize the number of left turns, thus reducing the time and gas that drivers waste idling at stoplights.
(Emphasis mine)
Old 06 April 2007, 11:23 PM

Spit Take

UPS just stopped by our house to make a delivery, so I walked over to the truck and asked the driver, "So, is it true you guys aren't allowed to make left turns?"

He laughed and replied, "You know, they never told us anything about it. I thought it was a joke, but I keep hearing about it more and more."

I think "UPS drivers aren't allowed to make left turns" is a simplification and exaggeration of the company's efforts to make deliveries more efficient in some heavily traffic-congested areas by planning routes for their drivers that avoid or eliminate left turns.

- snopes
Old 07 April 2007, 12:27 AM

The funny thing here in New Jersey is that, for the most part, they CAN"T make left turns.

Instead of waiting at an intersection for oncoming traffic (like a normal person), they now must wait at the same intersection so that they can then proceed 20 meters to a right turn, follow the jug handle, wait to merge, proceed to another intersection, make another right turn, hit red light, proceed on green.

Much, much more simple and safer than turning left.
Old 07 April 2007, 08:49 PM
bjohn13

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
UPS just stopped by our house to make a delivery, so I walked over to the truck and asked the driver, "So, is it true you guys aren't allowed to make left turns?"

He laughed and replied, "You know, they never told us anything about that. I thought it was a joke, but I keep hearing it more and more."

I think "UPS drivers aren't allowed to make left turns" is a simplification and exaggeration of the company's efforts to make deliveries more efficient in some heavily traffic-congested areas by planning routes for their drivers that avoid or eliminate left turns.

- snopes

Drat, snopes totally pwned me on this one.

One of my best friends is a UPS driver, and I asked him the same question. He laughed, of course, while going on to say something along the lines of "We don't make many left turns, but it is impossible to eliminate them completely."

Of course, there was the typical "I get asked that alot" remark thrown in.
Old 09 April 2007, 06:30 AM

I saw my brother, the UPS driver, yesterday, and asked him "How many left turns did you make last week?" I got the big from him. He said there's nothing new except the new software that plans out their routes in advance, and he wishes people wouldn't make such a big deal out of it.

Apparently, the questions from customers about left turns are making his stops too long.
Old 09 April 2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf333 View Post
The funny thing here in New Jersey is that, for the most part, they CAN"T make left turns.

Instead of waiting at an intersection for oncoming traffic (like a normal person), they now must wait at the same intersection so that they can then proceed 20 meters to a right turn, follow the jug handle, wait to merge, proceed to another intersection, make another right turn, hit red light, proceed on green.

Much, much more simple and safer than turning left.
When I moved to NJ in 1999, this was the first thing that drove me crazy about the state - "jughandle" intersections. Most are pretty normal, but every so often you find one that seems to divert you by a 1/2 mile or so.
Old 09 April 2007, 05:19 PM

With the impending work on a major highway intersection one of the suggestions from the highway department for dealing with the ensuing traffic jams was for everyone to make right turns during rush hour.
Old 09 April 2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMacD View Post
When I moved to NJ in 1999, this was the first thing that drove me crazy about the state - "jughandle" intersections. Most are pretty normal, but every so often you find one that seems to divert you by a 1/2 mile or so.
What ticks me off about NJ is that the merge signs are placed right after the merge point.

Mad "Hey looks like I should be mergi.... HOLY CRAP!!!" Jay
Old 10 April 2007, 01:29 PM

Wow .. somethng i am an expert on, since i was the person who physially INSTALLED the "new route planning software" at the head office.

The software is a simple routeplanning guide that takes into account traffic patterns, volume and flow, as well as pick up and drop offs of packages.

Because of the traffic logic included in the package, what may seem like an "out of the way" route may actually save time (even if it does incur further milage). and in the delivery business time is weghted 1.5 times milage.

The rest is trade secret and i can't really tell you anymore about it.

(note the software is used globally.. and as a funny aside, while i was there, i needed a supplemental disk to be sent to me.. my company sent it FEDEX... how embarrasing..)
Old 10 April 2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Done_Living View Post
(note the software is used globally.. and as a funny aside, while i was there, i needed a supplemental disk to be sent to me.. my company sent it FEDEX... how embarrasing..)
I used to work for a consulting firm that did some projects for UPS. We once sent them a project report via FEDEX. They were not pleased.
Old 10 April 2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I used to work for a consulting firm that did some projects for UPS. We once sent them a project report via FEDEX. They were not pleased.
I was in the FedEx office to send a package during a UPS strike. The FedEx employees were laughing over an overnight package they'd just received from UPS's corporate office to the local UPS management. FedEx is not unionized, but they refused to cross picket lines. They called the sender, and told them they would have to tell the recipient to drive over and pick it up themselves.
Old 20 April 2007, 12:13 AM
upsman39

D'oh! NOT TRUE

IM A UPS DRIVER IN NEW YORK CITY FOR THE PAST 23 YEARS AND I HAVE NEVER EVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING. I MAKE RIGHT TURNS, LEFT TURNS, I BACK UP , I DOUBLE PARK AND EVEN HAVE PARKED BY FIRE HYDRANTS AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. I ALSO HAVE RECEIVED 23 SAFE DRIVING AWARDS FOR ALL OF MY YEARS IN NYC STREETS WITHOUT AN ACCIDENT. I ALSO DRIVE A MUCH BIGGER TRUCK THAN THE USUAL ONE THAT MOST OF US SEE ( THE PACKAGE CAR ) MINE IS CALLED A VAN THATS ALMOST 30 FT LONG AND 13 FT HIGH AND I MAKE PLENTY OF RIGHTS AND LEFTS.
Old 20 April 2007, 01:29 AM

Icon07

Working for BellSouth (now becoming at&t), we have a policy of make a right turn if at all posible for the simple reason that you aren't crossing traffic. Some of the guys told me a story of a time that they did declare no left turns (you know, do it and be fired type story), and one work center had a bit of fun. They pulled out of their yard and turned left, got to the T intersection at the end of the street and turned left... This street dead ended just past the back gate of the work center, so they turned left again though the gate... repeated (with 20+ trucks) until the managers came out and yelled for their amusement...
Old 20 April 2007, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsman39 View Post
IM A UPS DRIVER IN NEW YORK CITY FOR THE PAST 23 YEARS AND I HAVE NEVER EVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING. I MAKE RIGHT TURNS, LEFT TURNS, I BACK UP , I DOUBLE PARK AND EVEN HAVE PARKED BY FIRE HYDRANTS AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. I ALSO HAVE RECEIVED 23 SAFE DRIVING AWARDS FOR ALL OF MY YEARS IN NYC STREETS WITHOUT AN ACCIDENT. I ALSO DRIVE A MUCH BIGGER TRUCK THAN THE USUAL ONE THAT MOST OF US SEE ( THE PACKAGE CAR ) MINE IS CALLED A VAN THATS ALMOST 30 FT LONG AND 13 FT HIGH AND I MAKE PLENTY OF RIGHTS AND LEFTS.
Welcome, upsman39! By the way, typing in all caps is considered shouting, and it's hard on the eyes.
Old 20 April 2007, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsman39 View Post

Then you don't deserve any of those awards. I also drove a much bigger truck-called a tractor trailer. 48 foot reefer in NYC. Double parking? Parking by fire hydrants? Real smart and real safe.

Morrigan
Old 16 May 2008, 12:48 PM

This scheme has now reached Swedish media and according to a spokesperson the company saved 48 million kilometers (ca 30 million miles), 11,4 million litres (3 million gallons) of fuel and 32 000 metric tons carbon dioxide emission in 2007 by eliminating left turns as much as possible.