snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Inboxer Rebellion

Old 09 September 2010, 08:11 PM

Roll eyes Is the United States a Christian Nation?

Here's a fun little item coursing through the interwebs:

Quote:
Over at Reddit, a parent shares a handout given to his daughter's high school history class that is basically a copy of one of those ridiculous emails circulated among wingnuts about America being a Christian nation. The class was apparently given an assignment of writing an essay around these "facts":
Is the United States a Christian Nation?

On July 4,1776,55 men signed the declaration of Independence. Of the 55,52 were deeply committed Christians; the other three believed the Bible to be Divine Truth, they believed in the God of the Bible and His personal intervention for the sake of mankind.

Immediately after the Declaration of Independence was adopted, the Continental Congress approved the purchasing of 20,000 Bibles for the American citizenry.

Patrick Henry: It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often, that this great Nation was founded not by Religionists, but by Christians; not on religion, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ."

Modem historians claim Thomas Jefferson was not a Christian. He wrote these words inside the cover of his well-worn Bible: "I am a real Christian, a disciple of Jesus. I have little doubt that our whole country will soon be rallied to the principles of Christianity."

President John Adams, on July 4,1821, said, The highest glory of the American Revolution was this: It connected, in one indissoluble bound, the principle of civil government with the principles of Christianity."

In 1782, Congress voted this resolution: "The Congress of the United States recommends and approves the Holy Bible for use in all schools."

Of the first 108 universities founded in America, 106 were Christian, including the very first university in the US -Harvard. In Harvard's handbook were these words: let every student be pressed to know God and Jesus Christ, which is eternal life, and, therefore, to lay Jesus Christ as the only foundation for our children to follow the moral principles of the Ten Commandments."

President Reagan said, "If we can get the federal government out of the classroom, maybe we'll get God back in."

The idea of separation of church and state does not exist in written form in our Constitution. What our founding fathers intended was this: there should be no national Church controlled by the government, such as exists in European countries.

Benjamin Rush, signer of the Declaration said, "Without the foundation of Christianity in a government or society, there can be no virtue, and without virtue, there is no liberty, and liberty is the object and life of all republican governments.

James Madison said, "Christianity is the basis and foundation of our government."

George Washington said, "National Morality cannot be obtained in the absence of Christian principles. The smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right, which Heaven itself has ordained."

In 1831, a visitor to the United States observed, "I looked for America's greatness; and I discovered the secret of her genius and power. America is great because she is good. If America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great."

The average age of the world's great civilizations has been about 200 years. During those years, these civilizations went through the following sequence: "From bondage to Spiritual Faith; from Faith to great courage; from courage to liberty; from liberty to abundance; from abundance to complacency; from complacency to apathy; from apathy to dependence; and from dependence back into bondage."
Photo "Would not be my kid's teacher for long" Bob
Old 09 September 2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Bob View Post
The average age of the world's great civilizations has been about 200 years.
Only if you exclude Rome, China, Greece, and most of Europe from "great civilizations".
Old 09 September 2010, 08:39 PM

Jaded

Quote:
Patrick Henry: "It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often, that this great Nation was founded not by Religionists, but by Christians; not on religion, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ."
Not Patrick Henry: http://fakehistory.wordpress.com/200...-religionists/
Old 09 September 2010, 08:41 PM

United States

"...not on facts, but on made-up, misattributed, or out-of-context quotes."
Old 09 September 2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Only if you exclude Rome, China, and the British from "great empires".
Well, sure if you want to get picky. Although I think they might be saying, "after 200 years they were no longer great".

I just want to know what happened to the other guy that signed the Declaration of Independence. Are they trying to say one of them was actually a woman? Or maybe they are just excluding the one Satanis because it weakens their argument?

Photo "Yeah, that's what is really wrong with that e-mail" Bob

Last edited by Photo Bob; 09 September 2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: To add quote
Old 09 September 2010, 08:46 PM

Read This!

Quote:
On July 4,1776, 55 men signed the declaration of Independence.
No, on 4 July 1776 two men (John Hancock and Charles Thomson) signed the Declaration of Independence.
Old 09 September 2010, 08:47 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Christian-nation-a-chow
Old 09 September 2010, 09:02 PM

Ouch. I guess Barbara's not the only Killjoy around here.

Of course that was before I was Snopesed.

Carry on. Nothing to see here.
Old 09 September 2010, 09:04 PM

HAHA! That's MY old post... I love it. I'm glad I did not respond to the OP because I was about to ... I would have chowed myself (well, been chowed by my former self)..

haha..thanks for that blast from the past.
Old 09 September 2010, 11:55 PM

"If they want to claim that we're a Christian nation because most people in the US are Christian, then by the same logic we're also a female nation and a white nation. I dare them to say that on TV! We're a white, female, Christian nation." Matt Dillahunty, the Atheist Experience.
Old 10 September 2010, 01:36 AM

I am reminded somewhat of a great quote:

Quote:
Experience has repeatedly confirmed that well-known maxim of Bacon's that "a little philosophy inclineth a man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion." At the same time, when Bacon penned that sage epigram... he forgot to add that the God to whom depth in philosophy brings back men's minds is far from being the same from whom a little philosophy estranges them.
~George Santayana
Many of the founding fathers may have had deeply held beliefs which could be considered Christian - in the sense that their personal belief system was influenced and appreciative of things in the Bible.

I doubt many, if any at all, were anywhere near the mindset of the sort of fundamentalism which tends to spread this revisionist viewpoint. Theologically they tended to be Deists, and heavily influenced by the philosophers of the enlightenment.

Many of them considered faith to be a personal matter, and a mixing of church and state to be a recipe for corruption. Everyone here probably knows where Jefferson stood on this, so I'll quote Thomas Paine instead (or at least copy Wikipeda's quote from him):

Quote:
Soon after I had published the pamphlet "Common Sense," in America, I saw the exceeding probability that a revolution in the system of government would be followed by a revolution in the system of religion. The adulterous connection of Church and State, wherever it has taken place . . . has so effectually prohibited by pains and penalties every discussion upon established creeds, and upon first principles of religion, that until the system of government should be changed, those subjects could not be brought fairly and openly before the world; but that whenever this should be done, a revolution in the system of religion would follow. Human inventions and priestcraft would be detected; and man would return to the pure, unmixed and unadulterated belief of one God, and no more.