snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Critter Country

Old 04 April 2007, 06:15 AM

Dog Bloodthirsty dogs

Comment: Could you find out if it is true or not that once a dog gets the
taste of blood (either by biting someone or from eating raw meat) they
will be more likely to bite, or even crave the taste of blood.
I have heard before that once a dog gets the taste of blood it will crave
it.
Old 04 April 2007, 06:17 AM

Yes, dogs are actually a subspecies of vampire.
Old 04 April 2007, 07:14 AM

Our two pups go absolutely bananas if we give them some meat in their food bowl. Not because they "crave" it but because it's a treat and they love treats.

Bella also loves chew ropes too... in fact I think if I put a chew rope on one side of her and meat on the other she'd probably spontaneously combust from the internal friction of not knowing which way to go first.
Old 04 April 2007, 07:26 AM

I've heard this before from my dad - once a dog gets the taste of human blood he'll want to bite more humans. I'd be interested to know if there is any veracity in it. Either way it was the excuse used to put the dog down er I mean send it off to live on a farm when it bit the neighbour kid I was forced to play with. Frankly the neighbour kid was so annoying that if the the dog hadn't done it, I probably would have - and probably made a more thorough job of it than the dog.
Old 13 April 2007, 06:38 PM
nolly

I've heard this many times and I say no.
I've had 2 dogs that have bit/drawn blood each only once.(both times were when they were being provoked or I was threatened)
Interstingly enough, the first dog, Buddy (an Amstaff/Pointer X) turned his nose up at blood that had dripped from a foot wound of mine. This was a dog that would instantly eat anything edible within reach (broken eggs, dripped meat 'juice', even celery!)
If he had 'craved' human blood, why did he not clean up the blood from my wound? (I used this point to drive home to my mother that this 'craving' is indeed a myth)
Old 13 April 2007, 06:49 PM

I've known several dogs who loved the scent and taste of human menstrual blood. My current dog will drag used pads out of the wastebasket and lick all the blood off them. (And then he'll often walk around the apartment with the pad stuck to his face or paws. It's gross but funny.)

Never had a dog bite me on purpose, though.
Old 13 April 2007, 07:30 PM

Wasn't there a long thread about this on the old board?
Old 13 April 2007, 07:37 PM
Dog Friendly

I'm gonna say "No way" to the general statement "Once a dog..."

It's entirely possible that some dog, somewhere, may have developed such a craving. But all dogs? Nope.

Think about it. Virtually every dog in the world has injured him- or herself sometime in their life. What's the first thing all dogs do when they're injured? Lick the wound! If this turned every dog into a murderous killer, we and they would never have made it out of the Stone Age together.

Dog Friendly
Old 13 April 2007, 09:15 PM

Also, what about police dogs that break skin?

Any guard dog that breaks skin? Hunting dogs? Retrievers?

Morrigan
Old 13 April 2007, 09:44 PM
Ratdawg

I've never had one develop a taste for blood. But my friend's dog can't resist jumping up and punching me in the nads every time I walk in the door. He has a mean right cross too.
Old 13 April 2007, 11:02 PM

My own dog has been on a raw meat diet since he was 16 weeks old. He is 4 years old now, and his basic Collie temperment has never changed: which means he still herds squirrels and mothers the cat. You should see him take down a piece of brisket, though!

Darby has run across dead animals in our hikes, and he does not have a clue that this is something he could eat.
Old 14 April 2007, 10:38 AM

I'd heard that with Huskies, Malamutes and similar dogs, if one dog bites and/or kills a human, not only does the offending dog have to die, but all the other dogs in the team too, otherwise they'll also start attacking humans...
Old 20 April 2007, 12:37 AM

I don't think it is so much the act of drawing blood, but the owners response to it. If my dog bit someone, and I let the attack go without doing anything, the dog has learned that biting is an appropriate way of dealing with the situation. So he is more likely to bite the next time. If I respond to the attack with intensive training, he is much less likely to bite again.
If my dog chased and killed at cat or other animal, I would expect him to do it again, simply because he has learned that it is acceptable and probably fun for him to do so.
However, I don't think feeding your dog raw meat will do anything to it. Except make a begger, like my dogs.
Old 07 May 2007, 12:34 AM
KittyBass

I've heard this before too, and I'm not really sure..

When I was a kid, my parents got my brother and I puppy.I was about 6 years old.. He was a terrier/shepherd mix. One day, we were playing with him out in my front yard and I saw him eating something. The something was a litter of stillborn puppies. As an adult dog he nearly killed a neighbor's Sheltie (tried to rip the dog's head off) and attacked my friend's dog which was much bigger than him. He was vicious to animals but not to humans. My brother used to take him for a walk on a thick chain, but eventually that had to stop because he was always wanting to kill everything in his path. My parents kept him outside during the warm months in our fenced-in yard. I would only throw him dog biscuits from a distance because I was scared. My parents eventually had to give him to the humane society because they were worried that humans were next on his menu. I think we had him for about 4 years. I was still heartbroken when they gave him away. They always said it was the taste of blood he got when he was a puppy, but I am not sure. Perhaps he was just misunderstood.
Old 07 May 2007, 04:38 AM

If I was the Sheltie's owner, I would have killed the dog myself.

Dogs with attitudes like that should either be put down or never allowed around other animals-period.

Morrigan
Old 09 June 2007, 03:54 PM
Muchita

Dog

I know lots of people who feed their dogs the "BARF" diet which consists of raw meat, fish, and poultry. None of their dogs are blood thirsty or aggressive.

Some animals (like people) have behavioural problems, like aggression, but it would not be cause by tasting blood.
Old 13 June 2007, 12:52 AM
joshxrt22

Default replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by landmammal View Post
Yes, dogs are actually a subspecies of vampire.
HAHAHA!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratdawg View Post
I've never had one develop a taste for blood. But my friend's dog can't resist jumping up and punching me in the nads every time I walk in the door. He has a mean right cross too.
My younger dog racks me all the time. I thought I'd lost a testicle the other night.....
Old 13 June 2007, 08:49 AM

I've been bitten enough to draw a fair amount of blood. It was when I played tug of war with a toy with my parents' dog, and my fingers accidentally got in the way. I was just surprised, it didn't hurt much, but the dog was so embarassed that I almost thought he'd disappear.

Never made him thirst for blood or try to attack anything larger than a butterfly. In fact, once a bluetit managed to get into the house, and it scared him...
Old 13 June 2007, 03:49 PM

My best guess would be that the old axiom "once they get a taste of blood" should really be...."once they start killing chickens and cattle"

Thats a habit thats almost impossible to break.
Old 19 June 2007, 01:37 PM
TheTurtleMoves

I always associated the "human blood taste" notion with tigers, lions and other big felines. In fact I gather from reading Jules Verne's Captain Grant's Children and other works from that period that this excuse was often used to rationalize hunting the said animals, often to extinction.