snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 20 August 2010, 05:13 PM

Default Burned Iraqi soldier in first Gulf War (disturbing image warning)

This was previously discussed several years ago, but the links there are now broken and the image is circulating again.

Comment: I was told this photo was taken during the first Gulf War. Real or fake? I have attached the photo to the e-mail, and also included it below.

Old 20 August 2010, 05:21 PM

Having served in Desert Storm, I do remember that this picture was taken on the "highway of death", which was highway 80 that lead from Kuwait to Iraq. Many Iraqi soldiers were driving on that highway when coalition forces caught up with them and destroyed the convoy with ground and air power.

you can read more on it here http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0303/S00038.htm. The picture you posted is also there and you can check Wikipedia under Highway of death to view other pictures, not as gruesome.

and if you read here, concerning the photographer that signed the picture, you see a little more info concerning that picture http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Jarecke
Old 25 August 2010, 09:42 PM
Malamuddy

Re: The caption at the bottom of the photo (not the handwriting). It seems to imply that U.S. media outlets did not publish the photo because it was a "retreating" group of Iraqi soldiers that was attacked. Equally possible is the fact that most U.S. media outlets do not publish gory photographs no matter the circumstance. Just a thought.
Old 26 August 2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPV View Post
Having served in Desert Storm, I do remember that this picture was taken on the "highway of death", which was highway 80 that lead from Kuwait to Iraq. Many Iraqi soldiers were driving on that highway when coalition forces caught up with them and destroyed the convoy with ground and air power.
My thought as well. There were a lot of civilians there as well, and I think that, if the US had lost, it would have been called a war crime.
Old 27 August 2010, 01:59 AM

I don't know about this particular photo, but my husband (who served in Desert Storm) has some equally gory photos that he took on the highway of death.
Old 27 August 2010, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malamuddy View Post
Re: The caption at the bottom of the photo (not the handwriting). It seems to imply that U.S. media outlets did not publish the photo because it was a "retreating" group of Iraqi soldiers that was attacked.
In my video tape collection is a pair of CNN specials that review Desert Storm. These were store-bought videos, produced by CNN - not recorded off the air, and may never have been shown on the air. Tape two has about five or six minutes of footage taken in the aftermath of the "highway of death". One of the burnt bodies featured in the video may well be the same one shown above.

~Psihala
Old 27 August 2010, 04:40 AM

So is that a real photo? The face doesn't seem quite shriveled up enough for the amount of burns it's supposed to have.
Old 27 August 2010, 05:00 AM

Borg

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
So is that a real photo? The face doesn't seem quite shriveled up enough for the amount of burns it's supposed to have.
Looks real to me. Like others have said, it's pretty typical of the "Highway of Death" and I'm not seeing anything unusual for a burned body. There isn't much soft tissue on the face to "shrivel up." Note that the rest of the body is still body-shaped and that the muscles and soft tissue shapes are still defined. That's consistent with the head, where you can see the hair and scalp in disarray on top and the lips and eyelids basically gone.
Old 27 August 2010, 05:21 AM

Is that person burned, is that what that is? I thought like, covered in sand or something. Not to be flip--I honestly don't understand what I'm seeing.
Old 27 August 2010, 05:27 AM

Borg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Is that person burned, is that what that is? I thought like, covered in sand or something. Not to be flip--I honestly don't understand what I'm seeing.
APPETITE WARNING

Think about meat on a grill. What happens when you let it sit too long and it blackens? What happens if you let it catch fire and burn? What you are looking at is the result of that effect on a human body.
Old 27 August 2010, 07:52 AM

I found a video containing those images on the following site, after googling "highway of death"

http://leftwing-christian.net/2010/0...th-part-1.aspx

video is towards the bottom of the page.
Old 27 August 2010, 07:59 AM

The photo is genuine. This photo, and others like it, were printed in British newspapers at the time, and some were reprinted in articles about the role of photographers in wartime (along with the famous napalmed running girl photo). I first saw it in either the Guardian or the Observer.

As well as scorched flesh you'll get molten stuff (clothing, vehicle interior) fused with the flesh.
Old 27 August 2010, 10:41 AM

Creepy. Was he already dead when he started to get this charred?
Old 27 August 2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Probably not. Highway of death was like a several kilometers long traffic jam on a six lane highway, which was systematically bombed for 10 hours using every munition available, including incendiaries.

The targets where mostly civilians, with some Iraqi troops returning home among them. This, in addition to the disproportionate amount of violence and the use of incendiaries, has caused heavy international criticism against the attack.

Google it, there's lots of information on it.
Old 27 August 2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
One can sincerely hope so.
Old 27 August 2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
The targets where mostly civilians
Troberg, I am really going to need a cite for this. Please tell me, other than the handfull of Kuwaiti hostages (tragic but few) and pro-Iraqi Palestinian militia (hardly civilians at all), exactly what civilians were fleeing northward on Highway 80, and why.

Last edited by DesertRat; 27 August 2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 27 August 2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
Probably not. Highway of death was like a several kilometers long traffic jam on a six lane highway, which was systematically bombed for 10 hours using every munition available, including incendiaries.

The targets where mostly civilians, with some Iraqi troops returning home among them. This, in addition to the disproportionate amount of violence and the use of incendiaries, has caused heavy international criticism against the attack.

Google it, there's lots of information on it.
Bullshit. I call bullshit.
Old 27 August 2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Bullshit. I call bullshit.
And you'd be right. While estimates of the death toll vary widely by the source, most scholarly estimates put the death toll for Highway 80 at under 1,000. Add in Highway 8, where the Republican Guard was making a last stand, and you get another 500 or 600. (I only mention Hwy 8 because many of the most gory, "incriminating" photos inaccurately attributed to the "Highway of Death" [ie: Hwy 80, retreating troops] are actually of the remains of Republican Guard soldiers killed in place while fighting on Hwy 8, thus muddying the issue.)

Most of the destroyed vehicles were empty, their occupants having fled when the bombing started. While most of the vehicles were civilian in nature, their occupants were Iraqi soldiers, with a very small number of captured Kuwaiti civilian hostages and also several pro-Iraq Palestinian militia members who had volunteered to fight the Americans.

So, grisly images aside, the death toll for the supposed "Highway of Death" was surprisingly low, and only a very small fraction of those were civilians.