snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 13 August 2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
I don't see a request for color in any portion of the exchange, much less immediately before the last panel.
It's in the third message below the first poster image.

Quote:
Can you make the photo bigger please and fix the text and do it in colour please.
I didn't really see it as a reference to that request either since the request was so early on. I guess it resembles a pimp hat, but I really just thought he had to do something so that the poster was still not what she wanted.
Old 13 August 2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Ng View Post
This one I referenced earlier, and this one. That said, read enough of his material and you get the impression this guy is the type of guy who finds himself more amusing than anyone else finds him and it gets old fast.
Having read those two examples, and the cat poster one, I can say it has gotten old. Fast. And he's actually making some money at this?

-RB
Old 13 August 2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsterboy View Post
Having read those two examples, and the cat poster one, I can say it has gotten old. Fast. And he's actually making some money at this?

-RB
Money, I don't know. Notoriety, yes. Cruel and funny can co-exist for some people. Otherwise, many comedians would be out of a job. It's not everyone's cup of tea. But clearly, it's a lot of people's cup of tea.
Old 14 August 2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
I am surprised you
managed to attend work at all what with thinking about Missy out there cold,
frightened and alone... possibly lying on the side of the road, her back legs
squashed by a vehicle, calling out "Shannon, where are you?"
What part of this is in any way funny?

I just have to think of my Merlin, who went missing in a friend's care several years ago and has never been found despite being microchipped, or my friend's cat, who got out onto the road, was run over in front of her eyes, and died in her arms on the way to the vet, and I tear up.

What kind of a person laughs to think of such things?
Old 14 August 2010, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilBunny View Post
What part of this is in any way funny?

I just have to think of my Merlin, who went missing in a friend's care several years ago and has never been found despite being microchipped, or my friend's cat, who got out onto the road, was run over in front of her eyes, and died in her arms on the way to the vet, and I tear up.

What kind of a person laughs to think of such things?
What kind of person would laugh at somebody suffering severe injury? And yet there is plenty of that sort of thing in comedy (three stooges come to mind, but there are certainly countless other examples), is a young child being brutally killed/murdered funny? No? Well South Park did that pretty regularly with one of their characters. Then you have your darker stuff (with the dark-est perhaps being the infamous 'dead baby jokes').

People joke about things that, if real, would be horrible all the time, if you have personal history that affects how you see it that is fine, but that is your situation, much like I imagine if somebody had a baby that died they may not find 'dead baby' jokes amusing.

I find it very unlikely that this is real, and if it is the guy is a jerk yes, without question. If its not (and technically if it is too I guess..) then its pretty darn hilarious, mostly because its so over the top.

-MB
Old 14 August 2010, 12:53 AM

The difference, for me, is that those are blatant fiction, presented unrealistically.

This is presented 'as true'; it's over the top, but not actually beyond the bounds of the possible.

Also, while I see that he's trying to satire people who ask ridiculous favours of their co-workers, this presumes that the favour asked is ridiculous. I couldn't read past the first few exchanges, but I didn't actually find the original request ridiculous. A bit entitled, yes, but I tend to make allowances for someone who is facing the loss of a beloved pet.

In short, the humour of this piece relies on you entirely empathising with the writer, and yet there's at least a 50:50 chance that you'll find the other person in the exchange the more sympathetic character. That the person who penned this apparently didn't realise this makes me strongly suspect that he's just as thoughtlessly cruel as the image he's trying to project.
Old 14 August 2010, 01:36 AM

I fully understand that dark humor is an acquired taste, and I have laughed at things that would probably horrify others. Thus, I'm certainly not judging others for finding this funny; to each their own.

But as for me... no. No, no, no. Even though it's obvious parody, I find nothing to laugh about in mocking someone who has lost their beloved pet.
Old 14 August 2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Duck View Post
Cruel and funny can co-exist for some people. Otherwise, many comedians would be out of a job. It's not everyone's cup of tea. But clearly, it's a lot of people's cup of tea.
I've read a few more, and don't really see any of them as cruel, though. Just not especially funny. For me, it's the sheer repetition-every single one of these "exchanges" is exactly the same, same premise (guy sends crazy emails in response to innocuous ones), same set up (guy responds in a crazy way to innocuous emails/favors asked of him), same denouement (exasperated straight man tells him to F-off), and it gets old for me very quickly. It'd help if the jokes were actually funny, but they're not very clever, either. In fact, the lost cat one is probably the funniest one-the interpretation of the cat posters are pretty funny, if easy to predict (I knew, as soon as he started responding in a very wordy sarcastic manner, that he'd do a "Lost" parody).

I mean, it was cute once, but a whole website's worth? Not so much, for me.

-RB
Old 14 August 2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsterboy View Post

I mean, it was cute once, but a whole website's worth? Not so much, for me.

-RB
Indeed. As a graphic designer I've been occasionally asked to design some ridiculous stuff, so I found the exchange about the missing cat hilarious. However, by the time I'd read some more exchanges on his website, I was bored silly and clicked off.
Old 14 August 2010, 10:03 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I guess it resembles a pimp hat, but I really just thought he had to do something so that the poster was still not what she wanted.
I think it kind of odd (even in the context of the joke) that the designer would deliberately insert some random, meaningless element just to ensure that the poster was still not what the requester wanted. I saw the hat as a commentary by the designer that he was being "pimped out" to do a poster for an non-paying "client" who was unsatisfiable and unappreciative.
Old 25 August 2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
I don't come downstairs and tell you how
to send text messages, log onto Facebook and look out of the window.
That comment killed whatever tiny kernel of humor I was getting from this piece.

The rest ~ and his blog, which I did read some of ~ is just nasty, holier-than-thou jerkiness.