snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 02 April 2007, 07:42 AM

Yow! Big sturgeon

Comment: Received this photo supposedly of a sturgeon caught in the Willamette River in Oregon near Oregon city. Said to weigh 1,000 lbs & 11'1" and girth of 56 inches.

Old 02 April 2007, 07:58 AM

Supposedly real photo, false description...

http://www.nwfish.com/Sturgeon/sturgeon_fisheries.htm

Quote:
News flash: giant sturgeon caught on the Willamette River - the photo going around on the internet is real but that fish wasn't caught on the Willamette. It was caught on the Frazer River in British Columbia.
A 1000 pound sturgeon is not all that rare here - we catch several each year that size or bigger on the Columbia and Willamette rivers. Last years big fish was over 13 feet estimated at 1200 pounds or more. Our average oversized sturgeon weighs 300 - 500 lbs and we catch 3-5 a day on average.
Mind you, they don't really do much in the way of cites or verifiable claims to indicate that they're being any more truthful...
Old 10 February 2008, 04:13 PM
nwfish

United States they do exist

Hello,
1st time posting here. Saw lots of folks looking at my site thought I would chime in. The pic of the fish supposedly coming from the Willamette is very real but the fact that the fisherman are in the water holding it means it isnt in Oregon where that is illeagal to do. In Oregon we are not allowed to lift any part out of the water on the oversized fish. (giant sturgeon). Posing for photos in the water with the fish is the standard proceedure on the Frazer river in BC, which is where this fish was caught a few years ago. The Columbia and Willamette rivers in Oregon have huge numbers of very large sturgeon and yes we do catch these big fish often several in a day when targeting them with catches for the season each year totaling 100 or more of these big sturgeon, which are all released unharmed to make more baby sturgeon. We just cant pull them out of the water for photos, unless they are less than the 60 inch maximum for the keeper sized slot limit. These big sturgeon range from Baja CA to SE Alaska with the bigger ones living in the ocean until they return to the rivers to spawn. Major spawning rivers are the Columbia and Willamette as well as the Frazer and Sacramento river. All larger rivers on the pacific coast at some time during the year have sturgeon present in them.
Old 11 February 2008, 01:59 AM

Wasn't that a Madonna song some years ago?
Old 11 February 2008, 05:26 AM

"Caught for the very first time..."

Definitely believable. One that large is unusual but not unheard of, and sturgeon are nasty fish with big pointy teeth. Not long ago my father broke his hand when a sturgeon he was hauling from the water flipped hard and twisted his hand over.
Old 11 February 2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamamander View Post
"Caught for the very first time..."

Definitely believable. One that large is unusual but not unheard of, and sturgeon are nasty fish with big pointy teeth. Not long ago my father broke his hand when a sturgeon he was hauling from the water flipped hard and twisted his hand over.
Really? I had thought sturgeon were 'sucker fish', sorta like catfish.

Oh well, I'm no expert.

-MB
Old 11 February 2008, 09:19 AM
charlie23

Quote:
Definitely believable. One that large is unusual but not unheard of, and sturgeon are nasty fish with big pointy teeth.
Mickey Blue is right, they're bottom feeders and don't have teeth as such. you're thinking of Pike maybe ?
Old 11 February 2008, 09:35 AM

Ponder

Pft! That sturgeon is just a tiddler

Old 11 February 2008, 12:07 PM

Mmmmm... toast points and sour cream, please!
Old 11 February 2008, 06:33 PM

There is a huge Sturgeon about that size at the Bonniville Dam hatchery just outside Portland. So they do get that big.
Old 11 February 2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Tea View Post
Pft! That sturgeon is just a tiddler

But it's much easier to tell the scale in the OP picture - this one has false perspective... I like the OP picture; it's almost refreshing to see an "impressively large creature" that's actually large enough to be impressive without camera trickery.

Welcome nwfish - thanks for the information!

I hadn't realised that sturgeon lived in the USA and Canada too; I always associate them with the Caspian Sea and Russian rivers. I guess you can't, or aren't allowed to, get caviar from the North American ones?
Old 12 February 2008, 04:28 PM
nwfish

Default many different species of sturgeon

Lots of different species of sturgeon around the world dont quote me but I think the number 27 comes to mind. Two of the more well known living in Europe are the Caspian and Beluga (famous for caviar). The Sturgeon in this pic native to the west Coast of North America is a White Sturgeon. Also many others in the US. Palid, Shovelnose, Atlantic, Gulf, Lake and green sturgeon. The white sturgeon is the largest of those. White sturgeon can grow to over 20ft in length and over 2000 lbs. They are very migratory spending much of there lives in the Saltwater returning to rivers for food sources and to spawn. Trust me 11 ft white sturgeon are on the top end of what is considered an average oversized sturgeon, they arent considered exceptional until they get over 12 or 13 feet in length and do often get bigger than that. It is however pretty tough to land them once they get to the 15 ft class. One other thing about the pic above and the battle landing it taking 6 hours. It is considered unethical here in Oregon or Washington to fight a fish for excessive lengths of time before releasing. An average 11ft fish will take 1hour or slightly more to land if using appropriate gear and techniques - a 6 hour battle would not be good for the fish.
Old 13 February 2008, 03:25 AM

Actually you're right on the teeth -laughs- dad fishes for several different species and I mixed up the mouth parts. It was a sturgeon that broke his hand, I believe it was our side of the McNary dam on the Columbia. (Don't quote me on that; he has a lot of favored spots!) I was thinking of teeth because of the beast hanging on the living room wall, a walleye that would be the state record if he'd gotten it weighed/ measured the day it was caught. As it was, it was on a holiday and he ended up having to freeze it, so the measurements were not eligible for the records.

I think this guy may have his beat though: New Washington record walleye, Feb 07, 2007
Old 13 February 2008, 09:28 AM

Ponder

Quote:
But it's much easier to tell the scale in the OP picture - this one has false perspective
Perhaps, but I still think it's easy enough to tell from the tog of the rope, the hydraulic gear in the background and the structure of the fish itself that it's up towards the high end of sturgeon size/weight.

Poor buggers
Old 13 February 2008, 05:29 PM

Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I hadn't realised that sturgeon lived in the USA and Canada too; I always associate them with the Caspian Sea and Russian rivers. I guess you can't, or aren't allowed to, get caviar from the North American ones?
Yes, you can get caviar from American sturgeon as well. Google "American caviar" (37,500 hits) for a listing of places that sell it. The sturgeon are farm-raised and it is cheaper than the Russian varieties.

Of course, there are also caviar made from other fish in America as well.
Old 11 March 2008, 09:54 AM
keepyourkiltdown

Fright

I have see, (and it's fairly common) for certain types of catfish to get rather large. I don't think I've ever seen one that huge though.

Either way, that is exactly the reason you won't see me in any body of water that isn't a swimming pool!