snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Horrors

Old 20 July 2010, 08:47 PM

Icon605 Black Friday bladder explosion

Comment: My daughter heard at school:

A woman's bladder exploded. The woman did not go to the bathroom when she
needed to. She was in line for a very long time in order to get a
fantastic deal on "Black Friday" after Thanksgiving.
Old 20 July 2010, 09:04 PM

I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on tv, but I would think that one would simply pee their pants if their bladder had reached capacity and couldn't hold anymore. I don't even know if bladders are capable of bursting simply from the pressure of built up urine, but I would think some sort of blockage would need to be involved for it to even be plausible.
Old 20 July 2010, 09:11 PM

I'm pretty sure one would pass out from the pain and then involuntarily urinate once passed out.
Old 20 July 2010, 09:14 PM

I have a vague memory of hearing that Tycho Brahe, Syphillitic Astronomer died from an exploding bladder. In the interests of folklore, I shall repeat my vague recollection here before trying to look it up.

No matter how he died, his silver nose must have been pretty cool. Or it might have been if it hadn't been covering a festering sore where his real nose should have been, I suppose.

(I didn't make it up, but these days he's thought to have died from mercury poisoning it seems. Either way, his urinary tract was apparently blocked for over a week before his death. If he had that problem and syphillis, and yet still managed to die from a completely unrelated and equally unpleasant cause, then I can't say I envy him. Except for the silver nose - perhaps I should get one anyway. You surely don't need to have syphillis to wear one.)
Old 20 July 2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syllavus View Post
I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on tv, but I would think that one would simply pee their pants if their bladder had reached capacity and couldn't hold anymore. I don't even know if bladders are capable of bursting simply from the pressure of built up urine, but I would think some sort of blockage would need to be involved for it to even be plausible.
I envision the bladder to operate much like the stomach in that the body has ways of releasing unpleasant things (the stomach can vomit fluids and solids and can burp gasses). The bladder doesn't just hold things in perpetuity until it busts, it would have relief mechanisms that prevent fluid buildup like (in this case - wetting yourself.

Wiki states that the bladder typically holds about 300 ML of urine. THey also say this:

Quote:
The desire to urinate usually starts when the bladder reaches around 125% of its working volume. At this stage it is easy for the subject, if desired, to resist the urge to urinate. As the bladder continues to fill, the desire to urinate becomes stronger and harder to ignore. Eventually, the bladder will fill to the point where the urge to urinate becomes overwhelming, and the subject will no longer be able to ignore it.
They do not say mow much fluid that it takes to cause the organ to burst since that number varies from person to person, but much like the stomach, it can store alot more than is typical. Longer in my book than one typically can wait for black Friday deals. The wikipedia article seems to imply that the result will be involuntary subornation. There would have to be significant blockage - a larger problem.
Old 02 September 2010, 03:01 PM

Blow Your Top

Granted, we're talking about when we were little (under 10 years old) kids, but my brother said the same thing about stomachs. You eat to much, and your stomach would explode!
Old 02 September 2010, 03:38 PM
redspider

Google gave me this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...alcohol.health

Quote:
When doctors warn of the dangers of binge drinking, exploding bladders may not immediately spring to mind. However, last week a report in the British Medical Journal (BMJ) made alarming reading. In the report, the medics discuss the unprecedented appearance in emergency wards of women who have suffered alcohol-induced "bladder rupture": their bladders have quite literally torn apart under pressure of a big night out.

There are over 28,000 hospital admissions as a result of alcohol misuse each year, and 22,000 premature deaths because of it. But even so, it must surely be hard to drink so much that your bladder bursts?
Yikes!
Old 03 September 2010, 04:59 PM

It's just some guy from Harvard, but I found this:

Quote:
By Robert Shmerling, Harvard Health Publications

...The idea that your bladder can burst by waiting too long to urinate is largely myth. ...

There are also rare reports of bladder rupture among heavy alcohol users. Itís thought that alcohol allows the bladder to fill beyond its usual limit and depresses the urge to void. But if the link between bladder rupture and alcohol use were strong, Iíd expect this problem to be common among the worldís party animals. Itís not. My guess is that some of the people who suffered bladder rupture after heavy alcohol use not only had a full bladder, but also experienced a trauma related to their inebriation. In general, a full bladder is more easily injured than an empty one.

The bladder is a mighty strong muscle and is unlikely to rupture just because you declined the opportunity to urinate. Itís much more likely that well before the bladder burst, the urge to void would simply take over, and you would urinate whether you wanted to or not. However, the bladder can rupture under certain circumstances, such as:

* Major trauma, for example a pelvic fracture
* Surgical complication
* A bladder tumor that weakens a portion of the muscular bladder wall
* Damage to the bladder from radiation

While itís highly unlikely youíll burst your bladder just by holding it, there are potential health consequences of making it a habit. [etc.]

The whole article
Old 26 September 2010, 01:45 AM
Cyborger

I'd rather pee on myself than have my bladder explode. It's not like I'd see those people again anyway.
Old 29 September 2010, 05:42 AM
Kneon_Knight

Default Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syllavus View Post
Happened to me in kindergarten. I was unaware that public schools had restrooms, and tried to "hold it". Epic failure. All of the other kids in my class lived in town, so I assumed they were simply being excused to run home when nature called.

Needless to say, the rest of that day and semester were the longest of my life. Thankfully, young minds have short attention spans and forgiving natures.

But I still wonder if that incident contributed to my attitude of "quietly plotting my revenge."
Old 25 January 2011, 06:08 PM
Longcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: My daughter heard at school:

A woman's bladder exploded. The woman did not go to the bathroom when she
needed to. She was in line for a very long time in order to get a
fantastic deal on "Black Friday" after Thanksgiving.
The bladder is elasticated, ergo, stretching of it would cause it to ping back, causing involuntary urination. Such over-stretching causing the bladder to burst immediately would be physiologically impossible; a good thing too, given that the bladder spontaneously fills and re-fills when many people cannot go to the bathroom (ie. at night!)