snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Automobiles

Old 31 March 2007, 03:22 PM

Icon05 Tying stuffed animals to trucks

Something I've always wondered about, why do people tie stuffed animals to the radiator grills of trucks?

I keep seeing this on council trucks when they go past, the one exception was one which had a tellytubbies head on a stake tied to the equipment rack!
Old 31 March 2007, 03:40 PM

I think it might be a reference to tying hunted animals to the radiator to get them home. Just to be silly: "look, I 'hunted' a stuffed bear!"
Old 31 March 2007, 04:46 PM

Hello Kitty

I rarely see that "up here."
Old 31 March 2007, 04:48 PM

I see them on garbage trucks around here. My favorite is the truck sporting Animal (from The Muppet Show) on the grill. I'd like to think the truth is it's hard for the big, tough garbage guys to actually throw a cute, fuzzy thing into the crusher.
Old 31 March 2007, 05:18 PM
JD65

Many times it will be a stuffed bunny for Easter, a Santa Claus or reindeer for Christmas, a witch at Halloween, etc. Just decorating the truck for the holiday, whatever it is. I used to like the teeth on the outside edge of a fly screen on the front of the radiator, until something like 84 million trucks had them on the front, too.
Old 06 April 2007, 07:10 PM
ValiumTen

I once saw a 5 foot tall stuffed Wile E. Coyote doll complete with his head turned around backwards fastened to the front of a big rig. I thought that was great.
Old 11 June 2009, 05:38 PM

Bear What's with stuffed toys on trash trucks?

Quote:
A man from Australia posted the question, "Why do people tie stuffed animals to the radiator grills of trucks?" on a forum on snopes.com, a Web site devoted to urban legends.

People from West Virginia to California weighed in on the topic, with one opining, "I think it might be a reference to tying hunted animals to the radiator to get them home. Just to be silly: Look I 'hunted' a stuffed bear!"
http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/238706
Old 11 June 2009, 05:41 PM

Roll eyes

Quote:
A man from Australia posted the question, "Why do people tie stuffed animals to the radiator grills of trucks?" on a forum on snopes.com, a Web site devoted to urban legends.
Now this thread is officially eligible to be cited as a Wikipedia source.
Old 11 June 2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Now this thread is officially eligible to be cited as a Wikipedia source.
Now there's something to brag about
Old 31 July 2009, 04:22 PM

Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
I think it might be a reference to tying hunted animals to the radiator to get them home. Just to be silly: "look, I 'hunted' a stuffed bear!"

Wouldn't that be 'kilt him a bar'?

I'm starting to see the golf/base/soccerball halfway through the window decoration on area vehicles.
Old 31 July 2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Wouldn't that be 'kilt him a bar'?

I'm starting to see the golf/base/soccerball halfway through the window decoration on area vehicles.
Oooo I want a bowling ball like that.

P&LL, Syl
Old 31 July 2009, 10:42 PM

Cheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettie Page Turner View Post
I see them on garbage trucks around here. My favorite is the truck sporting Animal (from The Muppet Show) on the grill. I'd like to think the truth is it's hard for the big, tough garbage guys to actually throw a cute, fuzzy thing into the crusher.
from the article:
Quote:
"I think the guys (are) so surprised that people throw these giant animals away, and they're really in good shape," Horn says.

The drivers just don't have the heart to toss the animals in the back of their trucks to be mashed and disposed, she says.
Yes! Validation!
Old 22 September 2009, 10:23 AM
Roadhog

Its a symbol of humourous intent if nothing else... Right up there with Garfield cat tails, or fake human limbs sticking out of a closed trunk. (or for that matter, bumper stickers declaring "Ex wife/husband in boot/trunk)
Old 22 September 2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
I'm waiting for a foam concrete block halfway into the windshield or back glass. I'd spring for one.
Old 23 September 2009, 06:40 AM

I understood them to be vehicle mascots and there for amusement. Foam Michelin men used to be common on radiator grilles here. Mini teddy bears are common too. Brits don't have a tradition of tying hunted animals onto our cars so it's not a reference to that.
Old 23 September 2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiumTen View Post
I once saw a 5 foot tall stuffed Wile E. Coyote doll complete with his head turned around backwards fastened to the front of a big rig. I thought that was great.
Five foot tall? OMG, hubby would knock down old ladies and small children for a 5' tall Wile E.

(Well... not really... but he would get more excited than a 3-year-old being told they could eat nothing but candy all day long.)
Old 23 September 2009, 02:21 PM

When my husband hauls equipment to a job site, he straps down a little Tonka dozer on the empty flatbed on the way back to the yard.
Old 23 September 2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
When my husband hauls equipment to a job site, he straps down a little Tonka dozer on the empty flatbed on the way back to the yard.
Brits have a tradition of tying a clown-style Red Nose to the front grille to support Comic Relief (a fundraising telethon). Each year there's a different type of red nose (one year it was a squashed tomato style) on sale in various shops on the run up to Comic Relief Day. They cost a small amount each and the proceeds went to th Comic Relief fundraising drive. In the past, you just bought a red nose to wear, but this is now extended to red noses for vehicles since many people consider vehicles and extension of themselves.

I've never felt the urge to tie anything to the front of my car or have soft toys on the parcel shelf (it used to be nodding dogs, now I see parcel shelves with multiple soft toys, beanie toys etc on them; some close to illegal as they obscure rear visibility in cars with rear windows).
Old 24 September 2009, 02:33 AM

I've seen this done on cars after a death of a small child on the way to the burial site, sometimes the cars antennas as well.

I say on the way to the burial site, as most of the time I only saw the cars as they left, and they may very well have kept them on there long after.

E*E
Old 24 September 2009, 03:58 AM

Icon18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
Probably not this one.

-Tabby
the princess with claws