Old 28 May 2010, 06:36 PM

Icon02 Prisoners don't like pedophiles

Comment: "In most maximum security prisons, the prison population is
visciously intolerant of pedophiles, and will always assualt them given
the chance."

I see this on crime shows all the time, and it seems most people beleive
it.

I am skeptical. Many people in prison have done terrible things, and seem
to tolerate all types of deviant behavior.
Old 28 May 2010, 07:25 PM

Yeah, I sure don't know, but from the bits I can glean, it is a really harsh environment for most prisoners, no matter what they have done, depending on the facility (maximum security being very rough, minimum being relatively mellow, and geriatric/medical needs facilities also being pretty easy, at least in terms of treatment amongst inmates).

On a related note, I have heard that prison lawyers are usually treated decently, as they can help preparing appeals and petitions, etc. Anyone know how true that one is?
Old 28 May 2010, 07:49 PM

The more reasonable sounding reason that I've heard is that pedophiles and rapists are seen as being weaker or easier targets than someone who's violent act was against another adult male.
Old 29 May 2010, 03:43 AM

Kelly Michaels Romano, who was wrongly convicted of raping children at the daycare center where she worked, has said she was singled out for abuse because of her "crime".
Old 29 May 2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Many people in prison have done terrible things, and seem to tolerate all types of deviant behavior.
Even people who have done terrible things enjoy feeling morally superior from time to time.
Old 29 May 2010, 07:40 AM

I was watching one the the prison show on the history or similar channel on day. As prisoners were brought in they had to determine what cell block they went into. One of them was for those that needed protection for some reason. I remember ex-law enforcement was one and I thing they also mentioned pedophiles or similar type crimes.
Old 29 May 2010, 12:26 PM

I was always lead to believe the reason was some of the prisoners had been beaten and/or molested/raped as children (which is why they all grew up to be criminals*) and if they see a pedophile, they want to beat the ever lovin' nfbsk out of them because of their own past.

*Not everyone who was ever beaten and/or molested/raped as children become criminals. I sure didn't.
Old 29 May 2010, 02:14 PM
redspider

Seems relevant:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=90004

Quote:
Prison Is 'Living Hell' for Pedophiles

n prison, fellow inmates derisively call pedophiles "chesters," "tree jumpers" and "short eyes."

Prison can be a menacing place for child molesters like the former Roman Catholic priest John Geoghan, who was killed in his cell Saturday — or for other alleged pedophile priests working their way through the criminal justice system.
Old 29 May 2010, 03:05 PM

It's easy to find examples of this or that pedophile who was murdered in prison, but that really doesn't show any stronger statistical tendency for them compared to, say, muggers.
Old 29 May 2010, 03:39 PM

Icon402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joostik View Post
Even people who have done terrible things enjoy feeling morally superior from time to time.
Basically, this. If you've been shunned by society and locked up for a violent crime it's a good ego booster to hate paedophiles - you might be a robber, but you're not a nonce. Those guys are the real scum. It's also a way of getting instant respect amongst otehr prisoners, to mete out 'justice' to child abusers. Someone who threw boiling water and sugar at a man convicted in the infamous Baby P case in the UK was being lauded even outside prison on Facebook groups as some kind of hero, even though in order to be in the same block as the offender he would almost certainly be a murderer or a violent sex offender himself.
Old 29 May 2010, 11:03 PM

I find it a little irritating how often in cop shows (I have no idea how much this might occur in real life) a detective interrogating a suspected abuser/molester will trot out the "You know what they do to child molesters in prison, don't you?" bit, almost as though this is just part of the punishment, as opposed to a major failure of the justice system to prevent vigilantism (even if it is occurring on the other side of the bars). The amount of prisoner-on-prisoner violence we have in our system should be a mark of shame for our penal system (even if it were a small amount), instead of being practically endorsed as one of the reasons people should be afraid of going to prison.

ETA: This is even doubly true of the way Rikers is often used as an interrogation strategy on Law and Order, where they have sometimes basically threatened suspects who haven't actually been convicted with the risk of rape or assault while being kept overnight or while awaiting trial in the jail.
Old 30 May 2010, 01:15 AM

Those who commit meditated assaults (without direct provocation) target whoever they think they can get away with.

Vigilantilism, revenge are not motivations, they target child molesters in prison because they can get away with it. IF the child molesters were housed separately then the next most hated group would be targetted more.
Old 30 May 2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGuyWitBluGlasses View Post
Those who commit meditated assaults (without direct provocation) target whoever they think they can get away with.

Vigilantilism, revenge are not motivations, they target child molesters in prison because they can get away with it. IF the child molesters were housed separately then the next most hated group would be targetted more.
What do you mean by "get away with it"? Do you mean because the guards will look the other way? Or, going with the last thing you said, do you really mean it's not a matter of getting away with it, it's that they're compelled to beat up somebody, so they might as well pick the most reviled group to beat up? Because those are two very different things.

And I'm not entirely convinced that violence in prison is primarily due to people with bad impulse control. I'm suspect a lot of it has to do with asserting dominance. Killing an ex-priest pedophile isn't going to score you "dominance" points in the same way that killing a rival gang member will. But it might earn you some credibility in terms of a kind of showing a kind of "enforcer" status, that I do think would hinge on some core notions of "prison justice" which would be at least akin to vigilantism.
Old 30 May 2010, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logoboros View Post
What do you mean by "get away with it"? Do you mean because the guards will look the other way?
More or less=, also:
Guards will ignore the victim's complaints, prisoners would look the otherway, victim has no friends... etc.

Quote:
Or, going with the last thing you said, do you really mean it's not a matter of getting away with it, it's that they're compelled to beat up somebody, so they might as well pick the most reviled group to beat up? Because those are two very different things.

And I'm not entirely convinced that violence in prison is primarily due to people with bad impulse control.
They're not compelled to be violent.
They choose to be violent, and so they choose their victims by completely rational means.

Quote:
I'm suspect a lot of it has to do with asserting dominance. Killing an ex-priest pedophile isn't going to score you "dominance" points in the same way that killing a rival gang member will.
There is gaining dominance, and then there is exploiting dominance. I think violence is more about the latter.

Also killing a rival gangmember has the potential to back-fire, it is not a rational victim choice.
Old 30 May 2010, 04:17 AM

Question: how do they know what you are in for? I mean, couldn't you just lie and say, "Oh I was in for something way less terrible than raping--I just killed a busload of nuns!"
Old 30 May 2010, 07:02 AM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Question: how do they know what you are in for? I mean, couldn't you just lie and say, "Oh I was in for something way less terrible than raping--I just killed a busload of nuns!"
Most inmates have some kind of access to TV or newspapers... plus I'm sure the guards would know and at least some of them might be the sort to let other inmates know.
Old 30 May 2010, 10:53 AM
redspider

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
It's easy to find examples of this or that pedophile who was murdered in prison, but that really doesn't show any stronger statistical tendency for them compared to, say, muggers.
This is true. But the article I cited went into further detail rather than just talking about one case.

Most prisons in the UK have a "Vulnerable Prisoners Unit" used to house sex offenders and other people vulnerable to attack from inmates.

This is governed under "Prison Services Rule 45", and prisoners segregated under this term are referred to by this shorthand.
Old 30 May 2010, 11:56 AM

The way I've heard it from people who have done serious time is that there's a hierarchy in terms of acceptable targets. It's been a while, but as far as I recall it went something like murder, assault, drug dealing, etc. on down the line, with "wife beaters" (domestic violence) and "kid touchers" (pedophilia) being at the bottom of the list (and therefore the most common targets). The explanations given at the the time seemed to support the "moral superiority" idea - along the lines of "see how you do against someone who can fight back."
Old 30 May 2010, 12:44 PM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
The way I've heard it from people who have done serious time is that there's a hierarchy in terms of acceptable targets. It's been a while, but as far as I recall it went something like murder, assault, drug dealing, etc. on down the line, with "wife beaters" (domestic violence) and "kid touchers" (pedophilia) being at the bottom of the list (and therefore the most common targets). The explanations given at the the time seemed to support the "moral superiority" idea - along the lines of "see how you do against someone who can fight back."
This might not be quite as meaningful if you don't know who "Uncle Chop Chop" is... but I thought this was relevant:

Mark "Chopper" Reid - Violence Against Women (language warning)
Old 30 May 2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
I always heard that "former cop" was at the bottom of the list.