snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 30 March 2007, 08:32 PM

Dog Total Hijack

This has nothing to do with anything. But Rumiko, did you know you had two different ages in your profile? One corresponds to the year you gave and one doesn't. Methinks gremlins have been in your profile. Remember, you need to have accurate information in your profile and at the time of registeration to not run afoul of the guidelines around here.
Old 30 March 2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Duck View Post
This has nothing to do with anything. But Rumiko, did you know you had two different ages in your profile? One corresponds to the year you gave and one doesn't. Methinks gremlins have been in your profile. Remember, you need to have accurate information in your profile and at the time of registeration to not run afoul of the guidelines around here.
Looks like it's too late... she's banned.
Old 30 March 2007, 10:06 PM

Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Ng View Post
Oh well, at least I can say I tried.
Old 30 March 2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Duck View Post
Oh well, at least I can say I tried.
A valiant effort...
Old 30 March 2007, 10:29 PM

Lazerus, you forgot the book! All I have to say is...I was tricked! I am such a chicken when it comes to anything titled "scary". I've been traumatized by screamers
I agree, this isn't scary or funny, it's downright mean. I guess they were going for the "short creepy munchkin snarl"...I don't get it. Now off to avoid threads that mention ghost videos/pics (I really want to look at some, I really do...but I can't convince hubby to look for me anymore...The one that just popped in my head is the corpse or manequin in the store window...oh yea, I went old school.
Old 30 March 2007, 10:57 PM
Rainmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Ng View Post
She got banned?! She even apologized in later post!

Rainmom
Old 30 March 2007, 10:59 PM

Icon102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmom View Post

It's not a good idea to bring things up like this in public. If you have an issue, it's best to talk to snopes directly.
Old 30 March 2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:

Rainmom
Not so much I think of saying something about snopes' original post, but for having two different ages in her profile.
Old 30 March 2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:

Rainmom
Probably the problem was her inaccurate profile info and not her criticizing the thread title.

ETA- Ouch, and it's not even my birthday

Last edited by rhiandmoi; 30 March 2007 at 11:05 PM. Reason: all the spankings
Old 30 March 2007, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
It's not a good idea to bring things up like this in public. If you have an issue, it's best to talk to snopes directly.
FWIW, it was probably the age thing.

I've had stuff like that I've wondered about before and I've asked Jenn- she gets back to you quickly. Don't be afraid to PM the mods, it's what they're there for.

ETA: OMGZ it's like a spanking orgy.
Old 30 March 2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:

Is your confusion lessened by Mama Duck's post in which she points out an inconsistency in Rumiko's profile information? Perhaps a reminder of the following rule will clear up your confusion:

Quote:
1) Members are required to enter and maintain accurate information in required fields (name, age, location, e-mail address) of their profiles at all times. Members who apply using false information or afterwards alter their profiles to remove or replace required fields with invalid entries are subject to loss of profile editing and/or posting privileges.
Rumiko was not banned for her posts in this thread. She was caught willfully breaking the above rule and lost her membership privileges, just as the rules warn. The same would have happened regardless of the content of her posts. I'd have thought that someone who is such a stickler for the rules that she'll quote them to the person who wrote them would be a tad more mindful of following them herself.
Old 30 March 2007, 11:53 PM
Trixie Tang

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here, and defend the thread title. While it probably shouldn't have said, "Fu****g scary!" I can understand someone being frightened of this little girl's appearance. She has a very unfortunate deformity/ disease, and she definitely deserves support and understanding. But the truth of the matter is she is a little frightening to look at. This is the third or fourth time I've seen this picture, and I still get a start when I see her. I know foul language and insensitivity isn't an appropriate reaction to these pictures, but I think several Snopesters need to take their own lessons of understanding.

From previous pictures of her, I do believe she was at a mall when this was taken. If my son were in that mall, he would probably cry out of fear if he saw her, and he's not an insensitive jackass. He's five, and he would have a normal human reaction to her appearance. I hope she and her mother continue spreading awareness of her condition and go out in public on a regular basis. The more she's seen and talked to, the less fear people will have of her. Kudos to her!
Old 31 March 2007, 12:25 AM
Beastly Despot

Personally, I appreciate you clarifying this publicly Jenn. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
Is your confusion lessened by Mama Duck's post in which she points out an inconsistency in Rumiko's profile information? Perhaps a reminder of the following rule will clear up your confusion:

Rumiko was not banned for her posts in this thread. She was caught willfully breaking the above rule and lost her membership privileges, just as the rules warn. The same would have happened regardless of the content of her posts. I'd have thought that someone who is such a stickler for the rules that she'll quote them to the person who wrote them would be a tad more mindful of following them herself.
Old 31 March 2007, 02:02 AM
Rainmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post

Quote:
1) Members are required to enter and maintain accurate information in required fields (name, age, location, e-mail address) of their profiles at all times. Members who apply using false information or afterwards alter their profiles to remove or replace required fields with invalid entries are subject to loss of profile editing and/or posting privileges.

Crystal clear to me now.

Rainmom
Old 31 March 2007, 02:09 AM

Icon05

Quote:
Crystal clear to me now.

What's not to get? Rumiko had two different ages listed in her profile. One was clearly not right. Violation of the rules.

What's with the ?
Old 31 March 2007, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie Tang View Post
If my son were in that mall, he would probably cry out of fear if he saw her, and he's not an insensitive jackass. He's five, and he would have a normal human reaction to her appearance.

So, you are thinking that whomever wrote the post was five?

I mean, if that's the case, they get a pass. If not, they don't.

I do wonder, though, for you parents in the crowd, when do you start introducing your kids to such things as deformity or severe disability?
Old 31 March 2007, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
So, you are thinking that whomever wrote the post was five?

I mean, if that's the case, they get a pass. If not, they don't.

I do wonder, though, for you parents in the crowd, when do you start introducing your kids to such things as deformity or severe disability?
I got lucky, one of my neighbors had a daughter with an extreme case of CP. I made sure my kids got to know her, and know that even though she couldn't talk, walk, or do any of the normal things people do in life, that she was still a wonderful living breathing person.
Old 31 March 2007, 02:21 AM

Cheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcm View Post
I got lucky, one of my neighbors had a daughter with an extreme case of CP. I made sure my kids got to know her, and know that even though she couldn't talk, walk, or do any of the normal things people do in life, that she was still a wonderful living breathing person.
That's really good. I don't have kids, but that would be my attitude.
Old 31 March 2007, 02:23 AM
Beastly Despot

It's my experience that a lot of parents just don't.

My oldest is five and we've tried to talk about it. I'll admit it - it's tough for me. I mean the talking part is easy and I hope it makes it easier for my kids to have an appropriate reaction when they run into a little person or someone with a severe disability. But its uncomfortable for me. I don't really know why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
Old 31 March 2007, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastly Despot View Post
It's my experience that a lot of parents just don't.

My oldest is five and we've tried to talk about it. I'll admit it - it's tough for me. I mean the talking part is easy and I hope it makes it easier for my kids to have an appropriate reaction when they run into a little person or someone with a severe disability. But its uncomfortable for me. I don't really know why.

Oh, I get that. Disabilities, esp. those that make a person so outstanding, are difficult.

I think I'd have to take the approach I take with my dogs, which are nearly always trained therepy dogs, and take them to homes and the like.

Then again, dogs don't ask "Why?"