snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 27 April 2010, 06:53 PM
Jenn's Avatar
Jenn Jenn is offline
 
Join Date: 19 February 2000
Location: Alberta
Posts: 19,162
Icon84 Car salesman lambasts boss in live commercial

Comment: This is as good as a blooper gets, I think he was upset with his
employer, should be, sob probably fired him after all his hard work on this
one. During the late 60's, most television programs and commercials were
live -- no pre-recorded programs. There were some obvious problems with
this method, such as no re-takes, and bloopers were a regular occurrence.
This is no blooper! This guy was just VERY PO'd with his Boss, and told it
like it is. The language this guy used was missed by the camera crew, and
the producer, and got on the air, but only once.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 27 April 2010, 07:00 PM
Ryda Wong, EBfCo. Ryda Wong, EBfCo. is offline
 
Join Date: 14 December 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 23,668
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
During the late 60's, most television programs and commercials were
live -- no pre-recorded programs.
Hmph. From my vast knowledge of the period, gained mainly from episodes of Mad Men, this is SOOOO not true.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 27 April 2010, 07:01 PM
lord_feldon's Avatar
lord_feldon lord_feldon is online now
 
Join Date: 08 August 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 12,259
Default

Quote:
During the late 60's, most television programs and commercials were
live -- no pre-recorded programs.
During the late 60's?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 27 April 2010, 07:11 PM
RLS RLS is offline
 
Join Date: 30 January 2007
Location: Plainview, MN
Posts: 323
Default

Strange I was around than and most shows were not live. Ah the fun of Lassie, Lone Ranger, Zorro. I miss them
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 27 April 2010, 07:25 PM
Richard W's Avatar
Richard W Richard W is offline
 
Join Date: 19 February 2000
Location: High Wycombe, UK
Posts: 22,472
Default

Quote:
The language this guy used was missed by the camera crew, and
the producer, and got on the air, but only once.
Who is it that's laughing in the background, then? Not one of those people...

Or perhaps it is one of those people, and the reason they didn't notice what the guy was saying is that they were distracted by something else hilarious that was going on at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 27 April 2010, 07:42 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is online now
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 65,478
Default

By the late 1960s most programs were not live, and certainly advertisements were not. In addition to eliminating errors, re-recorded advertisements are cheaper: they're recorded once and can be used over and over. I don't know exactly when live ads were discontinued, but I'm guessing it was just as soon as it was feasible to do so.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 27 April 2010, 07:48 PM
AnglRdr's Avatar
AnglRdr AnglRdr is offline
 
Join Date: 06 June 2002
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 50,683
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
Hmph. From my vast knowledge of the period, gained mainly from episodes of Mad Men, this is SOOOO not true.
That's where mine is from, as well!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 27 April 2010, 07:50 PM
A Turtle Named Mack's Avatar
A Turtle Named Mack A Turtle Named Mack is offline
 
Join Date: 21 June 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 16,764
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
By the late 1960s most programs were not live, and certainly advertisements were not. In addition to eliminating errors, re-recorded advertisements are cheaper: they're recorded once and can be used over and over. I don't know exactly when live ads were discontinued, but I'm guessing it was just as soon as it was feasible to do so.
Agreed, but OTOH - we often have programs even now in the metro Atlanta area where the salesmen make live pitches about a succession of used cars. Usually these are on weekends in very low-demand periods. They are a sort of live infomercial. I guess the point - besides being cheap and eye-catching in a trainwreck kind of way - is to be able to say to the audience 'yes, these particular cars are right here, right now, so you can come and get this actual car." It could well be just such a show that was going on when the OP video was shot.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 27 April 2010, 08:03 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is online now
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 65,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Agreed, but OTOH - we often have programs even now in the metro Atlanta area where the salesmen make live pitches about a succession of used cars.
I'm not doubting you, just curious -- how do you know they're live?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 27 April 2010, 08:13 PM
Lawgiver Lawgiver is offline
 
Join Date: 12 March 2005
Location: La Vergne, TN
Posts: 1,605
Default

I'm wondering if this was just a spoof they did before or after taping the real commercial.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 27 April 2010, 08:17 PM
Jenn's Avatar
Jenn Jenn is offline
 
Join Date: 19 February 2000
Location: Alberta
Posts: 19,162
Default

I believe the man in the clip is named Chick Lambert, though I can't find much more than that.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 27 April 2010, 08:34 PM
A Turtle Named Mack's Avatar
A Turtle Named Mack A Turtle Named Mack is offline
 
Join Date: 21 June 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 16,764
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I'm not doubting you, just curious -- how do you know they're live?
Okay, I can't say I can prove it, as I really don't leave them on for long. The production quality is similar to what the OP article shows, and they say it is current - although that could involve tape delay for safe-broadcasting reasons. They certainly are not rehearsed or edited, and seem to not even be scripted beyond having a basic description of each car's features.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 27 April 2010, 08:43 PM
AnglRdr's Avatar
AnglRdr AnglRdr is offline
 
Join Date: 06 June 2002
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 50,683
Default

We have a lot of car dealers who tape live for rebroadcast later. They don't air live, though, they just seem live.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 27 April 2010, 08:46 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is online now
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 65,478
Default

Airing the ads live would be a real pain for the airing station -- they'd have to set up a remote, the timing would have to be perfect, etc. If it's airing during a network feed, and the feed changes for some reason -- breaking news, for example -- the slot would be lost. I imagine they'd charge far more for it, if they were willing to do it at all.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 27 April 2010, 10:39 PM
DemonWolf's Avatar
DemonWolf DemonWolf is offline
 
Join Date: 24 April 2002
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 13,113
Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawgiver View Post
I'm wondering if this was just a spoof they did before or after taping the real commercial.
That is my guess as well. And they probably kept the spoof because it was funny.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 28 April 2010, 03:17 AM
TuFurg TuFurg is offline
 
Join Date: 06 July 2005
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
I believe the man in the clip is named Chick Lambert, though I can't find much more than that.
Sounds right. From Wiki for what it's worth...

"One of Worthington's rivals in the early 1960s was Chick Lambert...who, as pitchman, always introduced "my dog, Storm" (a large German Shepherd dog) as a prop in the commercials. Storm would be seen either lounging on the hood of a car, sitting behind the wheel or walking with his owner along the rows of cars. By mid-decade Lambert had taken his dog act to Ralph Williams of Ralph Williams Ford (formerly Leon Ames Ford)"
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 28 April 2010, 03:19 AM
tagurit's Avatar
tagurit tagurit is offline
 
Join Date: 24 March 2000
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 14,057
Default

I had to watch it twice because I got distracted by the dog lying on the hood of the car. My vote is with spoof, also.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 28 April 2010, 07:39 AM
One-Fang's Avatar
One-Fang One-Fang is offline
 
 
Join Date: 02 November 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 1,612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Okay, I can't say I can prove it, as I really don't leave them on for long. The production quality is similar to what the OP article shows, and they say it is current - although that could involve tape delay for safe-broadcasting reasons. They certainly are not rehearsed or edited, and seem to not even be scripted beyond having a basic description of each car's features.
I can't speak for the ads you've seen, but it's quite common to have radio ads here that claim to be live at a car sales yard or other store having a big promotion that weekend.

However, once you hear exactly the same ad more than once, you twig.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 28 April 2010, 08:01 AM
Salamander Salamander is offline
 
Join Date: 14 June 2005
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 5,035
Australia

I vote false. Everyone knows that swearing wasn't invented until 1978.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 28 April 2010, 08:23 AM
Mr. Furious's Avatar
Mr. Furious Mr. Furious is offline
 
Join Date: 13 January 2001
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 12,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglRdr View Post
We have a lot of car dealers who tape live for rebroadcast later. They don't air live, though, they just seem live.
Yeah, a local dealer (Sport Durst - that's actually the dude's name) does that. It's one of the most bizarre things I've seen on TV outside of public access. From what my dad's told me, the shoots (before I got sick, he did dealer transfers as a post-retirement job and that was one of his clients) are pure insanity.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dear Boss, Omit Me snopes Inboxer Rebellion 15 02 June 2009 09:07 PM
Letter from the Boss Genetic_Mishap Inboxer Rebellion 23 25 November 2008 09:54 PM
If you were the boss ... which team would you hire? snopes Inboxer Rebellion 29 12 October 2008 03:38 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.