snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Old Wives' Tales

Old 02 January 2007, 11:05 AM

Icon402 Don't cut yourself with a dull knife

Comment: I have heard on numerous occasions that a dull knife is more
dangerous than a sharp knife, because, if one cuts oneself, the dull knife
will cause more damage than the sharpened knife. Is this true?
Old 02 January 2007, 11:32 AM

It sure hurts more with a dull knife, and the wound bleeds more, which I suspect is due to more damage being inflicted.

If nothing else, there must be some reason surgeons prefer sharp scalpels to old bread knives...
Old 02 January 2007, 11:35 AM

The dangers of a dull knife are more about the lack of control - it requires more force to cut with a dull knife, which increases the chances of losing control of it.
Old 02 January 2007, 11:43 AM

I keep my knives very sharp because it allows me use them with a light touch, and seeing what they can do to a carrot makes me a lot more careful with them. You have to apply more pressure with a dull knife, and in my experience if you slip while using it you are more likely to drive it harder into your fingers.

But out of the kitchen I prefer to be attacked with a butter knife.

Spanked by Chillas--wow, did it really take me that long to type that?
Old 02 January 2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
The dangers of a dull knife are more about the lack of control - it requires more force to cut with a dull knife, which increases the chances of losing control of it.
Not only lack of control, compare how badly a paper cut heals to how quickly a cut from a razor blade heals (hint: don't try to strip wire with a razor because you don't want to ruin your Swiss army knife...). A jagged edge don't just cut, it shreds the tissue.
Old 02 January 2007, 04:33 PM

Icon402

As someone who's cut herself with a sharp, fresh-out-of-the-box-razor, it's no picnic!
I didn't exactly feel it when it happened, but afterwards it was pretty drippy and it was deep.

I imagine a dull razor would have been worse.
Old 03 January 2007, 01:25 AM

It's all about tissue damage. The sharper the edge, the lesser the tissue damage and the less time will be needed for the wound to heal.

TMI for Active Topics if wounds gross you out. TMI for Active Topics if wounds gross you out. TMI for Active Topics if wounds gross you out.

My worst scars are from dull knives, or non-knife things. A sharp piece of concrete tore my right index to the bone on the knuckle, a piece of tin can took my right index to the bone on the pad side, a breaking wrench did my knuckle in, again.
Old 03 January 2007, 02:08 AM

Icon402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
It's all about tissue damage. The sharper the edge, the lesser the tissue damage and the less time will be needed for the wound to heal.

TMI for Active Topics if wounds gross you out. TMI for Active Topics if wounds gross you out. TMI for Active Topics if wounds gross you out.

My worst scars are from dull knives, or non-knife things. A sharp piece of concrete tore my right index to the bone on the knuckle, a piece of tin can took my right index to the bone on the pad side, a breaking wrench did my knuckle in, again.

Working in labs for many years, I have scars to prove it
A long scar from a plastic beaker
A deep scar from the edge of a door lock
And my persoanl favourite a plastic pipette which I managed to embed in my palm to 10 mm depth.....

The one I got from scaples and broken glass just seem to have faded away
Old 03 January 2007, 02:02 PM
dantonini

It's not as simple as amount of tissue damage or if the knife was sharp or dull. Yes, more damage means a larger scar but sometimes large scars can form from small, clean cuts. It happens by the body producing too much collagen during the healing process. This creates those large bump-type scars that are often larger than the original wound.

I have a scar from when I accidentally kicked a utility knife while barefoot* and it split my big toe almost in half. The scar from this is almost impossible to see. I have another scar on my finger from a razor when I was building a model in high school. The scar is about 3 times the size of the original cut and is raised above the skin. Smaller, cleaner cut but much bigger scar.
Old 04 January 2007, 09:50 PM

At least it wasn't a spoon!
Old 05 January 2007, 12:44 AM
Para

I recall my Dad telling me the same thing while sharpening one once.... Ironically, he almost instantly managed to cut the tip of a finger off with it. He just got up, washed the little spot of fingertip off, and "glued" it back on with neosporin and a tight bandage. It healed up perfectly, though.
Old 07 January 2007, 03:58 PM
Fun with a 9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para View Post
I recall my Dad telling me the same thing while sharpening one once.... Ironically, he almost instantly managed to cut the tip of a finger off with it. He just got up, washed the little spot of fingertip off, and "glued" it back on with neosporin and a tight bandage. It healed up perfectly, though.
Are we related? I can't even tell you the number of times I watched my father repair his fingers, hands, etc. over the years using his own techniques. (Eeew, Daddy, shouldn't you get stiches for that? Nah!)Bandages, electrical tape, superglue...the man was his own surgeon.
Old 19 January 2007, 12:32 AM

(little pink pill)
if you prefer to be stabbed with a butter knife then wouldn't the wound hurt more and you would bleed much more and more than likly die a horriable death nice and painfull
Old 20 January 2007, 08:58 PM
bjohn13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawgiver View Post
(little pink pill)
if you prefer to be stabbed with a butter knife then wouldn't the wound hurt more and you would bleed much more and more than likly die a horriable death nice and painfull
Getting "grazed" with a butter knife in the wrong spot wouldn't even break the skin, while getting "grazed" with a scalpel in the wrong spot could be fatal. I'd be more afraid of getting bludgeoned to death with a butter knife than any open wounds.

b "butter knife wounds hurt" john13
Old 20 January 2007, 09:18 PM

When I was young, I sliced my middle finger on my left hand open with a butter knife. I can't quite remember how. I think it involved one of those little matchbox cars.

Another time, many years ago, I sliced my right pinky finger open on a cracker. Ever eat those crackers that come in those military MRE packages? Those things are deadly weapons. It was an ugly, ugly cut. I still have a scar there.

Anyway! My point is, they both hurt like hell, and both left scars. Just anecdotes, really.
Old 27 January 2007, 12:35 AM
bjohn13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missie View Post
When I was young, I sliced my middle finger on my left hand open with a butter knife. I can't quite remember how. I think it involved one of those little matchbox cars.
I now have coffee stains on my carpet.
Old 23 February 2007, 03:49 PM

And I'm cowering under my desk wondering why I chose to read this thread
Old 26 February 2007, 02:57 AM
MissBethiepoo

When my brother and I were younger, I was probably 11 or so, my parents had the icky apple trees that were in our backyard cut down. It was summer vacation and we had nothing better to do so my parents told us to go out the next day and cut the branches smaller so that they could be easily bundled up for the trash. (yeah, my parents were of the school of thought that having children meant that you had free laborers at your disposal) The only available saws we had at the time were two old, jagged hacksaws. As I was attempting to cut a branch I somehow forgot to watch my fingers and ended up slicing my left thumb right down the middle. I was dripping blood all over as I headed in to get bandaged up. Shortly after I went inside my brother followed with his own finger sliced. Needless to say the next day my parents called a brush cleaning company out to get rid of the branches by shoving them through a wood chipper. Later that day I had a private lesson with my cello teacher and he couldn't believe that I didn't need to get any stiches or that I hadn't damaged any nerves.

To this date, the top wrinkle in my thumb is no longer straight.

Just my little story to add to all of the "fun"