snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 09 April 2010, 06:31 PM

Default Ross Sisters' impossible flexibility

Comment: Supposedly a “video” from 1944 and the acrobatics are beyond belief. I don’t believe it because #1,
even the military didn’t film in color in 1944, and what these gals do is physically impossible. Please let me know.

Old 09 April 2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Comment: I donít believe it because #1, even the military didnít film in color in 1944.
Laughed out loud, I did.
Old 09 April 2010, 06:39 PM

I don't know if this is real or not, but it has the look, at least to me of some of the older films that have been colorized.
Old 09 April 2010, 06:39 PM

There really were a trio of Ross sisters who were famous for dancing, acrobatics and contortionism, they're credited in this movie (that's apparently where the clip is from). So it certainly seems plausible. Their contortionism is impressive, but I've seen similarly unreal-looking acrobatics before, so I see no reason to think it a modern digital fake claiming to be old.

I know Wikipedia isn't reliable, but they have a Wikipedia entry as well.
Old 09 April 2010, 06:49 PM

I don't see anything physically impossible, although it is very obvious the women are incredibly highly skilled.

I have Rosses in my family tree. I wonder if I may be distantly related. I should ask my aunt who is into geaneology.
Old 09 April 2010, 07:06 PM

Reading

Someone apparently hasn't seen Cirque du Soleil.
Old 09 April 2010, 07:08 PM

The first Technicolor TM was Becky Sharp, in 1935. Before that, there were other color processes, notably the two-color process used for The Mystery of the Wax Museum in 1933.

I don't know about these women in particular, but I have a book of still photos of US circuses from the beginning of photography through the 1940s, when it was published, and there are lots of photos of contortionists in similar "looking between their feet" positions. I personally saw acrobats with the Russian circus who were not contortionists, but could do fantastic balancing acts, like balancing on one hand, with their body nearly horizontal to the surface they were on, and then rising, still on one hand, to a vertical position.

However, I will bet money the women are not really singing, but are lip-syncing to The Andrews Sisters.

ETA: What is "solid potato salad"? Potato salad that has sat out too long?
Old 09 April 2010, 07:12 PM

It may be grotesque in a few places (really? butts resting on your head? ewww), but I don't see that it's any more impossible than what some of the folks doing Cirque do.

Although, I am guessing there may have been some wires/safety devices for some of the bits that were off the ground
Old 09 April 2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweetilynn View Post
I don't know if this is real or not, but it has the look, at least to me of some of the older films that have been colorized.
The insides of their mouths are not gray, which has always been the give-away for me for a colorized movie. But, I agree that is has that Technicolor, over-saturated look of movies from the 30s and 40s.
Old 09 April 2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahdra View Post
The insides of their mouths are not gray, which has always been the give-away for me for a colorized movie. But, I agree that is has that Technicolor, over-saturated look of movies from the 30s and 40s.
According the imdb link that Syllavus posted, it was filmed in Technicolor.

Nick
Old 09 April 2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Theodorakis View Post
According the imdb link that Syllavus posted, it was filmed in Technicolor.
Here's the IMDb entry. The clip is from a film called Broadway Rhythm, which was a big MGM musical, released in 1944. MGM was famous for big musicals, and they were all expensive color spectacles, from the time Technicolor was invented. MGM did the Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers movies, The Wizard of Oz, and the Broadway Melody series, not to mention the movie version of just about every successful Broadway musical. MGM = musical the way Universal = monster, when you think of the studio days of Hollywood.

What was my point? I don't remember. Anyway, if you get TMC, it'll be on April 21, at 5:45pm (EDT, I guess), according to IMDb.
Old 09 April 2010, 07:55 PM

I can watch videos on this computer but sound doesn't work, which made this video actually kind of creepy. Especially when the one comes right at the camera on her hands and at the end when they did that crotch-to-head wheel flippy thing. I felt the video game induced instinct to start shooting at the screen
Old 09 April 2010, 08:06 PM

For the first time in a LONG time, I actually applauded the computer monitor... they are quite good.

Oh, and when the girl grabbed the apple... my hip slipped out of joint.
Old 09 April 2010, 08:29 PM

I googled them, and the clip is posted everywhere, with tons of comments. Why does every third comment refer to them as triplets? They are dressed alike, have their hair styled alike, and they look a little alike, but they are sisters. They are very different heights (which I know identicals can be, but one is pretty significantly shorter), and their faces are shaped differently. Anyway, according to Wikipedia, they have different birthdays. I know wiki isn't all that reliable, but IMDb gives the same years, and two of the same dates, although they disagree over the month for one sister (IMDb says May 20, while wiki says June 20).

Is everyone so distracted by the contortion, that they aren't looking closely?

Now I know why two of the Andrews Sisters dyed their hair.
Old 09 April 2010, 08:32 PM

I still want to know what "solid potato salad" is. Is it some veiled sexual reference, like the seafood in "Hold Tight," which seems to be about oral sex?
Old 09 April 2010, 08:32 PM

Trying to find it but I remember seeing something on AMC or TCM about the sisters and their abilities. They really were that good.

@Malruhn- just saw one of your posts on Y!A and confused me to which board I was on...
Old 09 April 2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malruhn View Post
Oh, and when the girl grabbed the apple... my hip slipped out of joint.
Ha, you should've heard my running commentary at that part: "Oh, wow, look, there's an apple, she can't possibly...no way...she is! Look how far down...how can...no way...oh DOYC, look at her legs! She's gonna... "

I'm definitely impressed. I can barely touch my toes from a standing position
Old 10 April 2010, 05:17 AM

Picking up the apple was, truly, a skill to be applauded. However, what she did next is what floored me - standing up again.
Old 10 April 2010, 01:59 PM

The only claim I might quibble with was that I didn't think they looked much like sisters, but considering that hyperflexibility tends to run in families, I suppose they likely are. Nothing about their act looked impossible to me, if you only assume they have more flexible backs than most people. Physically impossible for most people /= physically impossible period. And the whole color film thing... I had actually researched a little while ago, and knew that it was being used a fair amount by '44, and that the information to prove it is very easy to find.
Old 10 April 2010, 02:15 PM
PDQRodder

According to Wiki and IMDb two of the sisters are still alive. Maybe we should ask them?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Sisters
As for colour films there is a surprising amount of colour film shot by the military and others in WW2, and more seems to be turning up. Plenty of other movies were shot in colour too, several that spring to mind being Robin Hood and The Wizard of Oz, both in the 1930s and The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943) and A Matter of Life and Death (1946, but was started in WW2 IIRC), which are quite stunning for the time- and still are.