snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 24 March 2010, 04:52 PM

Default Time traveler?

This was on my facebook thread this morning:

what is wrong with this picture:
http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/pm_v2.ph...s=0&rd=117666#

People think its been digitally altered.

But it made me wonder - well, maybe they had sunglasses like that in 1941?
Old 24 March 2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstarr View Post
But it made me wonder - well, maybe they had sunglasses like that in 1941?
Those look more like safety goggles or something, considering they have guards for the side of the eyes.
Old 24 March 2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recklessmess View Post
Those look more like safety goggles or something, considering they have guards for the side of the eyes.
It's the apparent screen-print T and hoodie looking sweatshirt that makes it look weird to me.

I'd vote for altered.
Old 24 March 2010, 09:30 PM

Australia

His hands look much older than his face - I'd vote altered.

Dropbear
Old 24 March 2010, 09:35 PM

The guy does look out of place; it's also hard to tell exactly what he's looking at because of the glasses, but he seems to be looking a little too low and to his right. But he's holding something that sure looks like it could be a right-for-the-period camera, even possibly a look-down rather than a look-through, the real name of which I do know, but it eludes me at the moment, and maybe that's why he's looking down.

Why would it be altered? Was it part of a guessing game-- which picture was altered, or something? Unless there's some reason for altering the picture-- I mean, that's not someone I recognize, like Lee Harvery Oswald, or Forrest Gump, so it's probably not a joke-- why would anyone think it was altered other than "Hey, his sunglasses are too cool!"
Old 24 March 2010, 09:36 PM

Anything that looks cool can only have been invented in the last few years.
Old 24 March 2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
why would anyone think it was altered other than "Hey, his sunglasses are too cool!"
Like I said, his clothes don't look period to me. But, then again, I am no expert on the fashions of the 40s
Old 24 March 2010, 09:40 PM

Ponder

Looks perfectly real to me, it is amusing that he looks like some sort of 21st century hipster but he could just as easily carried that off wearing aviators - there's nothing there that immediately shouts 'faux'. They could easily be welders goggles. These for example, from WWII:

Old 24 March 2010, 09:44 PM

It's possible that this has been altered, but the most likely explanation is that it's just what it appears to be--a "dressed-down" guy in the past, which was rare but certainly did happen. He appears to be holding a camera, so he may have been something of an artistic eccentric for the time. We dress so casually now that he appears to our eyes to be almost modern and wouldn't even get a second glance today, but he likely would have been thought of as a bum at that time by many people. He looks almost like a beatnik, although a few years earlier than you might think they were around.
Old 24 March 2010, 09:51 PM

Those sunglasses have been around for years....

Old 24 March 2010, 09:51 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapax Legomena View Post
He looks almost like a beatnik, although a few years earlier than you might think they were around.
Good call, and not so time-wise, they were just called something else

His garb is simply no clue as to the nature of the photo - it's just coincidence that he looks a bit studenty but there are hundreds of possible coincidences, why I saw a guy in a vintage 40s suit on the bus the other day...

His cardigan is threadbare, his undershirt perhaps a remnant from college and his glasses perhaps primitive shades or working goggles - nothing in my view that suggests he's out of place.

Old 24 March 2010, 10:15 PM

The shirt caught my eye as well, but I would imagine this is a scan of a photo the museum actually has in its possession, therefore the chance the digital image has been altered is slight. In addition, the museum, the Bralorne Pioneer Museum, seems to be devoted to the culture and history of the local area where the photograph was taken. I would hope that an expert in the local history would be able to spot something that seemed out of place before random people on the internet did. All that said, you never know I guess.

There is a contact form for inquiries about the exhibit or one of its records.
Old 24 March 2010, 10:22 PM

Here's the picture with better resolution:

The rough outer sweater he's wearing is definitely something that was common in the forties. I have pictures of my grandparents wearing such things. The silk-screening looks less "clean," and like it could be homemade, which was how local sports teams, like the babseball team where you worked, or smaller high school sports teams, made their uniforms. The glasses are in two pieces-- that is, the side pieces are hinged to the front lenses, a design which has been around since the 1920s, at least. And the thing he's holding really looks to me like an old camera, a Brownie Special 127, to be exact. Browine was a line of cameras for amateurs produced by Kodak that had HUGE sales in the 1920s-1960s. The Special 127 was introduced in 1939, and was one of the best-selling cameras of the 20th century.
Old 24 March 2010, 10:27 PM

That image was linked to Fark a couple of days ago. Here is a link to the comment thread. If I remember right, there were a couple of links to similar sweaters linked to a college or team of some kind.
Old 24 March 2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Here's the picture with better resolution.
Ahh! Much better. I was totally misinterpreting the outfit.
Old 24 March 2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
*snip*even possibly a look-down rather than a look-through, the real name of which I do know, but it eludes me at the moment*snip*
Hey, I had one of those! Weren't they called Brownies? Or were you looking for a generic name, because I think that was Kodak's brand name.

ETA: Never mind, that doesn't seem to be the distinguishing feature of a Brownie camera. But I did have one of those you look down into, I even have a couple of pictures I took with it in the 6th grade!
Old 24 March 2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderwoman View Post
Hey, I had one of those! Weren't they called Brownies? Or were you looking for a generic name, because I think that was Kodak's brand name.

ETA: Never mind, that doesn't seem to be the distinguishing feature of a Brownie camera. But I did have one of those you look down into, I even have a couple of pictures I took with it in the 6th grade!
The generic name is a Twin lens reflex camera. Kodak certainly made loads in the early part of the 20th C but so did lots of other companies.

IIRC the Kodak Box Brownie was a much simpler (cheaper) thing with a straight through viewfinder.

I'm not sure the guy's camera is relevant to determining if the picture - or at least he - dates from 1941. There are plenty of those 1930's/1950's cameras still around. No one uses them of course and many wouldn't work, but it's not too much trouble to get one for a prop.

I am not giving an opinion as to whether the picture is fake or real. The camera is not evidence though.

Last edited by Eddylizard; 24 March 2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 24 March 2010, 11:54 PM

Heh. Immediately reminded me of D.C.'s "Starman," ca. 1994. The character, Jack Knight, eschewed traditional superhero garb for his own outfit cobbled together from vintage clothing (he was a collector):

Old 25 March 2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
IIRC the Kodak Box Brownie was a much simpler (cheaper) thing with a straight through viewfinder.
See my later post.

Quote:
[ibid]I'm not sure the guy's camera is relevant to determining if the picture - or at least he - dates from 1941. There are plenty of those 1930's/1950's cameras still around. No one uses them of course and many wouldn't work, but it's not too much trouble to get one for a prop.

I am not giving an opinion as to whether the picture is fake or real. The camera is not evidence though.
Except, if he's a modern guy pasted in to look like a time traveller, what's the point in getting a prop camera? What would be the point of dressing up in 1941 fashions, with a 1941 hairstyle, holding a 1941 camera, getting a black and white picture taken of yourself, in 2010, just to paste the image into a 1941 picture? To see if you can fake 1941 so well that no one notices?

It's like that whole "secret that wasn't a secret" thing with the Bacon-was-Shakespeare people. Bacon had to keep a big secret about writing the plays, down to hiring some guy to pretend to be his nom-de-plume. Except, he goes and puts these really obvious puns and cryptograms in the plays, so everyone will figure it out, and for good measure, hires a guy who can't read or write.
Old 25 March 2010, 01:04 AM

Ponder

Time traveler huh?