snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Entertainment

Old 18 March 2010, 08:03 PM
Disarming33

Default Spongebob and the Seven Deadly Sins

I got this e-mail from a friend, it's kinda ridiculous, but still very interesting.

1. Sloth-Patrick
Sloth is the sin of laziness, or unwillingess to act. Obviously this is Patrick. He lays under a rock all the time and doesn't really do anything. In fact in the episode "Big Pink Loser" he got an award for doing nothing the longest.

2. Wrath-Squidward
Wrath involves feelings of hatred and anger. Squidward hates his life, usually hates SpongeBob, and is pretty much angry most of the time.

3. Greed-Mr. Krabs
Obviously Mr. Krabs is greedy and desires money. How could Greed not be Krabs? He actually sang about the power of greed in "Selling Out".

4. Envy-Plankton
Plankton is envious of Mr. Krabs because The Krusty Krab is a success while The Chum Bucket is a failure. His envy drives him to try to steal the Krabby Patty secret formula.

5. Glutony-Gary
I actually think this one is pretty funny. Did you ever notice the running gag in Spongebob where they say "don't forget to feed Gary" or Sponge says "I gotta go feed Gary". Gary even ran away that time when SpongeBob forgot to feed him. Glutony usually refers to the overindulgence of food so I'm guessing this one fits him pretty well.

6. Pride-Sandy
Sandy takes a lot of pride in who she is and where she comes from. She takes pride in the fact that she is from Texas and likes to let everyone know it. She also takes pride in the fact that she is a mammal and a land creature, like in the episode "Pressure" where she tried to prove land critters were better than sea critters.

7. Lust-SpongeBob
Ok, I know what your thinking. It does seem a little weird and curious at first but I have given it a lot of thought. Lust in one definition is "excessive love of others". I think this one works best for Spongebob. He shows his love of others with his overeagerness to do good and help people. If anything is true about SpongeBob its that he loves everyone around him, even if they don't exactly love him back.
Old 19 March 2010, 02:09 PM

I agree with the first four. As for the last three, pride and lust require a bit of definition twisting to fit. Am I right in thinking that the sin of pride is not in being proud of who one is, but in thinking one is the best?

As for gluttony, Gary only over ate when he was over fed, and SpongeBob feeding his pet would be a routine event and not an indicator of overindulgence in food.
Old 20 March 2010, 04:32 PM
LongestAugust

The first four make sense, and I can see where they're coming from with "Pride." It seems like they just picked Gary for gluttony because they couldn't come up with anything else, though. And as for the last one, well, I'm not sure "overeagerness to do good and help people" is what I'd call lust.
Old 23 March 2010, 11:52 PM

Shifty Eyes

Bubble Bass fits gluttony, but he's only featured in one episode.

fran "why, yes I have an 8 year old" java
Old 24 March 2010, 05:44 AM

I had always pegged Squidward for Pride, Plankton for Lust, and Sandi for Envy or Wrath (living in denial as a land mammal underwater).

I want to say that in the artists' commentary on one of the 1st season DVDs (don't ask me why I have said collection...) the voice actors make mention of the idea that the characters were originally supposed to be representative of the 7 Deadly Sins, but that concept went away early in planning and wasn't fleshed out.
Old 24 March 2010, 12:29 PM
SsnakeBite

To be fair, the same thing can be done with pretty much any fiction, unless you have a whole crew of Mary Sues. Oh well, it's a funny read anyway.
Old 24 March 2010, 03:01 PM

What does Mrs. Puff represent?
Old 07 April 2010, 12:55 PM

Masochism!