statement ... so, be on your guard people

----------------------------
By the way, this is a warning to all who show (your breed here) at the
show this weekend (Belleville, IL) PETA terrorists put antifreeze in water
dishes when dogs were out being shown. The handlers noticed the pink color
(they said it looked like Kool-Aid) and changed the water, discovering by
the odd smell what it was. It was announced over the loudspeaker to not
put your dogs into their crates without checking water dishes first. Lots
of people immediately took their dogs out and locked them in motor homes.
We just decided that one of us would be guarding the crates at all times
from now on. I am furious about it. This is what they consider Ethical
Treatment of Animals? They are just sick people!
Old 11 March 2010, 03:23 PM

I think that, had this been true, it would have been all over the dog lists I'm on. I've heard nothing.

Now, PETA has been rumored for years to let dogs out of crates at shows. I've never witnessed that myself, though. So, right now, I'll have to consider it FOAF at best.
Old 11 March 2010, 04:02 PM

When I did some looking into background material on PETA, it appeared that it actually consisted of only a few individuals, mostly just playing for media attention with their outrageous comments. However, there are a lot of actions which are attributed to PETA, both by the people doing them and those who oppose PETA's stances. I get the impression that, like the KKK and AlQaeda, PETA tends to spawn a large number of imitator groups comprised of individuals who in some sense are in agreement with the purposes of the 'mother ship' organization, but are not controlled from the original version.

Still as Ryda notes, as for this instance, if it had happened, the word would have spread quickly.
Old 11 March 2010, 04:02 PM

I'm not a PETA fan but I just can't imagine they'd poison perfectly healthy animals. I know they'll euthanize lab animals & other critters that are too far gone because of testing or for other bad health reasons, but I just don't see them doing this.

I could see them poisoning the owner/breeder's water before killing a healthy animal.

Ok maybe their fringe element would do that but the mainstream organization outta VA Beach that's called PETA wouldn't do something like that.

Here's some PETA info that some may or may not know:

They own stock in a lot of the companies they protest. That way they can submit requests to their boards & get their agenda on the company agenda. They don't want KFC to stop selling chicken (though I think their perfect world is totally vegan), they would like them to do a more humane killing. As shareholders they can submit that to the board & it has to be brought up at their meetings. It's most likely shot down because PETA=nutjobs in most folks eyes because of their outrageous tactics, but they can still propose it.

Last edited by RCIAG; 11 March 2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11 March 2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIAG View Post
They own stock in a lot of the companies they protest. That way they can submit requests to their boards & get their agenda on the company agenda. They don't want KFC to stop selling chicken (though I think their perfect world is totally vegan), they would like them to do a more humane killing. As shareholders they can submit that to the board & it has to be brought up at their meetings. It's most likely shot down because PETA=nutjobs in most folks eyes because of their outrageous tactics, but they can still propose it.
Yeah, PETA does this with my company,too. They've got a couple of shares and they ALWAYS show up to shareholders meetings and create a ruckus. One time one of them (or Greenpeace, I don't recall), climbed one of our flagpoles and refused to come down. I loves me some good street theater.
Old 11 March 2010, 05:07 PM

I think they have some good intentions underneath the show, but no one is gonna listen when they do stupid crap like try to rename fish "sea kittens."
Old 11 March 2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIAG View Post
I think they have some good intentions underneath the show, but no one is gonna listen when they do stupid crap like try to rename fish "sea kittens."
That's what so sad about the whole thing. I'm sure a majority of PETA members have good intentions, but I (and MANY others) just can't get past the insanity. There's also some really weird stuff that goes on with the whole leader using animal based insulin products (IIRC) and "adopting" dogs from shelters and euthanizing them. Also the whole "Keeping Pets is Slavery" bit. It's gotten to the point that there's so much crazy that I'm not even sure what the message is anymore. Was it always like that?
Old 11 March 2010, 05:27 PM

So, in the OP, if show entrants spotted the contanimation and identified it their own selves: where did
peta get into the equation? The writer nevers says they claimed responsibility.
Old 12 March 2010, 03:25 AM

Wouldn't PETA be shooting themselves in the foot if they dd something like this? If they poisoned animals, it would probably be big news, and would turn the public totally against them
Old 12 March 2010, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty5nutz View Post
Wouldn't PETA be shooting themselves in the foot if they dd something like this? If they poisoned animals, it would probably be big news, and would turn the public totally against them
Of course, but there have been repeated terribly irresponsible releases of farmed and lab animals by various 'animal right' groups, causing all sorts of problems for people, the animals released and other animals. It is, at the least, bad publicity, but they keep doing it. An example:

http://www.igorilla.com/gorilla/anim...e_to_kill.html
Old 12 March 2010, 03:48 AM

Indeed. Being committed to a cause doesn’t exclude you from being an idiot. The kind of commitment people have to causes like the ALF are enough to blind your priorities and centers of the brain that dictate proper perspective and rational thought. They start acting less like a group that cares about animals, and more like a mob or a terrorist organization.
Old 12 March 2010, 04:06 AM

Antifreeze has to be a pretty crude and inhumane poison (not that I'm suggesting that any poison is humane). Now PETA do I think have some brains between them regardless of their nutjobbery, so would they not come up with something better that was more efficient at killing and more importantly didn't colour the water pink so any fooll can spot there's something wrong with it?

Or is the intent supposed to be that the responsible owner will notice the pink water before Fido drinks it and immediately reform and stop showing dogs?
Old 12 March 2010, 06:34 AM

Crude and inhumane, yeah, but a fairly common way for pets to get poisoned, intentionally or not. Because antifreeze, or ethylene glycol, is sweet, and smells and tastes good, pets are attracted to it, so you have to be careful where you store it and to clean up any spills. It causes kidney failure within days of injesting even a small amount.
Old 12 March 2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PallasAthena View Post
Also the whole "Keeping Pets is Slavery" bit. It's gotten to the point that there's so much crazy that I'm not even sure what the message is anymore. Was it always like that?
This came up in the late 90s on a cat-oriented major-domo mailing list. The "Keeping Pets is Slavery" stuff was the policy of an individual who was highly placed in PETA and tried to make it the organisations policy. After getting rid of her (I think it was a her), PETA apparently spent years trying to dissociate themselves from her. She'd undermined the organisation and its aims especially as people still remember that particular message today. PETA even produced some rather good pet-care magazines to try to show the organisation itself wasn't anti-pets, just anti-bad-ownership.

Problem is, so many people remember that looney element's pets = slavery message that it's still plastered all over social networking sites, long after PETA tried to dissociate themselves from the individual involved. I tried to find some of the links giving the background and the name of the woman involved (she pretty much subverted the organisation), but all I find are regurgitations of the slavery story. I don't find PETA to my taste and some of their campaigns are too wacky for me, but maybe that's due to my Great British Reserve.
Old 12 March 2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
put antifreeze in water
dishes when dogs were out being shown. The handlers noticed the pink color
(they said it looked like Kool-Aid) and changed the water, discovering by
the odd smell what it was. It was announced over the loudspeaker to not
put your dogs into their crates without checking water dishes first.
This is a pretty common tale that does that does the rounds of animal shows. It was recorded back in the late 19th century as a way of exhibitors eliminating the competiton at cat shows (I'm less well versed in historical dog literature) - both tainiting water bowls and offering the caged exhibits tainted meat through the bars. It still does the rounds at cat shows with exhibitors told to be on the lookout for people acting suspiciously e.g. trying to feed the cats. When I regularly attended the major British cat shows, there have sometimes been warnings over the PA system. There were also claims of cats being "gotten at" and even suggestions as to the particular breeders involved in nobbling the opposition.

Usually the alleged perpetrators are trying to ensure a particular animal wins or loses (like nobbling racehorse or greyhounds) so they are supposedly "other breeders/owners" (which was the case in the 19th century), animal activists (trying to make animals sick and claiming it's the stress of the show causing sickness) or even organised crime (due to large sums riding on which dog - never heard the organised crime version in catshows - gets best in show).

The PETA version sounds like another variant of the pet-show nobbling stories dating back to the 19th century.
Old 12 March 2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
Problem is, so many people remember that looney element's pets = slavery message that it's still plastered all over social networking sites, long after PETA tried to dissociate themselves from the individual involved.
Not just remember, but actively keep alive. The Anti-Animal-Rights brigade LOVE to trot that one out any time PETA is mentioned. they are also anti-HSUS (Humane Society of the US) and try to link it to PETA if they can.

I don't like PETA. I don't like the sexism and sometimes racism in their work. I think they go too far and aren't balanced. But they aren't the total evil too many people make them out to be.
Old 12 March 2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
The Anti-Animal-Rights brigade LOVE to trot that one out any time PETA is mentioned. they are also anti-HSUS (Humane Society of the US) and try to link it to PETA if they can.
Sometimes I think PETA is a more-subtle-than-average ploy by the Anti-Animal-Rights brigade. They exist solely to make Animal-Rights activists look like nutjobs.

I know logically it is not true, and that PETA is full of people who are sincere, just idealist enough not to realize the harm they do to their own cause. I still like to believe it, though.

I like to think it about Phelps, also.
Old 12 March 2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
This came up in the late 90s on a cat-oriented major-domo mailing list. The "Keeping Pets is Slavery" stuff was the policy of an individual who was highly placed in PETA and tried to make it the organisations policy. After getting rid of her (I think it was a her), PETA apparently spent years trying to dissociate themselves from her. She'd undermined the organisation and its aims especially as people still remember that particular message today. PETA even produced some rather good pet-care magazines to try to show the organisation itself wasn't anti-pets, just anti-bad-ownership.

Problem is, so many people remember that looney element's pets = slavery message that it's still plastered all over social networking sites, long after PETA tried to dissociate themselves from the individual involved. I tried to find some of the links giving the background and the name of the woman involved (she pretty much subverted the organisation), but all I find are regurgitations of the slavery story. I don't find PETA to my taste and some of their campaigns are too wacky for me, but maybe that's due to my Great British Reserve.
I think that was Ingred Newkirk - president of Peta. But she is still with PETA so maybe not.
Old 12 March 2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I don't find PETA to my taste and some of their campaigns are too wacky for me, but maybe that's due to my Great British Reserve.
No, it's due to you're being sane.
Old 12 March 2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
I think that was Ingred Newkirk - president of Peta. But she is still with PETA so maybe not.
That's the insulin lady isn't it? That's who I associate with the pets/slavery thing.

Also giving little kids "buckets o' blood" outside of KFC. Wasn't that PETA too?

I'm sure the majority of PETA members are normal and sincere people, but the crazy ones just tend to hog the spotlight and ruin it for everyone else.