snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Critter Country

Old 06 March 2010, 04:41 PM

Snake Maine is the only state with no venomous snakes?

I heard this piece of trivia on an ad this morning. Sounds like one of those 'fun facts' we've all gotten in our inboxes that turns out to be false.
Old 06 March 2010, 04:46 PM

Don't eat snakes, and you should be fine wherever you are.

How do the snakes know where the state line is? Are there mountains between Maine and New Hampshire? When I was living in western WA, I heard from reputable sources that there were no venomous snakes west of the Cascades, but the Cascades are much higher than mountains in New England, and the climate is completely different on on the east and west sides.

In any case, there are no snakes at all in Hawaii, so at most, Maine would be the only state that has only non-venomous snakes.

ETA: Whoops, I was wrong, there are snakes in Hawaii, native and introduced, although the native ones are apparently quite small.

And I started to Google for sights showing the distribution of venomous snakes in the US, but then I realized those sites would include photos of snakes, and I have a phobia, so someone else is going to have to do that bit of research.
Old 06 March 2010, 05:00 PM

Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
D

How do the snakes know where the state line is? A:

Well for all we know, there could be snake-level welcome signs at the state line.
Photos of snakes kind of creep me out as well, but I don't freak out at seeing a real snake. Maybe because the photos always manage to look really nasty and creepy. Go figure. As far as I know, the only poisonous snakes in MD are the copperhead and Eastern diamondback rattler.
Maybe there are some parts of Maine that don't have poisonous snakes, but a whole state? That screams myth to me.
Old 08 March 2010, 08:09 PM

Alaska has never had venomous snakes (and may not have any snakes at all). Hawaii has no native snakes on land, and no venomous introduced snakes on land, but they do have the venomous sea snake in the ocean.

There used to be Timber Rattlesnakes in Maine, but they are now extinct in the state. They more recently became extinct in Rhode Island, and are almost extinct in New Hampshire. That's the only venomous snake in the area (the copperhead doesn't get quite that far north), so both Maine and Rhode Island are now without venomous snakes.

So for a few decades Maine was the only state in the lower-48 to not have any venomous snakes, so at least the trivia was sorta almost true for a while.
Old 08 March 2010, 08:20 PM

How sad for Maine and Rhode Island. I rather like our snakes, both venomous and non-venomous. They eat lots of rodents and generally leave people alone. Here in the southern Appalachian foothills, we have all 4 varieties of venomous N. American snakes. There are species of rattlers we don't have, but we have our local version.
Old 09 August 2010, 10:04 PM
Malamuddy

Default Snakes don't like Grunge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
When I was living in western WA, I heard from reputable sources that there were no venomous snakes west of the Cascades...
I live in Western Washington and have heard this as well. While I try to be skeptical of "always" and "never" statements, I think it is largely true that there are few snakes in Western Washington. I have lived here for 12 years and have only seen one --- a small garter snake on the Olympic Peninsula.

I grew up in Alabama, and when I came out here it took me a while to not be wary about reaching under things, etc. for fear of a snake being under there. (Of course the first day I go back to visit Alabama and help my dad on his farm I will probably reach under a stack of boards and get nailed by a copperhead....)