snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 05 February 2010, 03:28 PM

Icon22 Lecherous child actor in Back to the Future Part III

Comment: The child actor (Dannel Evans) who plays "Vern" seems to eye Elizabeth
Shue in a lecherous manner, and then motions to her with his hand to come, and then
points to his penis. Is this really true? What was Dannel Evans signaling? Was he
trying to tell the director he wanted to go to the washroom?

Old 05 February 2010, 03:34 PM

Yall are a lot better at this than me, but it is pretty clear to me he is motioning to someone off camera that he needs to go pee. He's even mouthing something to someone off camera.
Old 05 February 2010, 03:56 PM

He's got a really uncomfortable look on his face. His IMDb entry doesn't give a birth year, though, so I can't tell how old he was when he did this, but he looks maybe six or seven, which makes him just young enough to be in the age group (three to about six, maybe seven if the kid is stubborn) notorious for not having to go when you tell them it's their last chance for a while, then suddenly having to ten minutes later.

Is this the take actually used in the film, and is the kid's hand gesture visible on screen? The filming space isn't the editing space. The area the camera films is bigger than the area that is actually used when the final edit is made, so someone might have gotten hold of some footage that wasn't actually used in the commercial print.

I mean, not that that excuses making a little kid stand there while he has to pee, but that might explain why no one noticed before now.

ETA: any time kids are used in a film or TV show, they have to have a parent, or parent-appointed guardian (like an aunt, or a sibling who is older than 18), plus a social worker for each X-number of kids, and if it interferes with their school attendance, a state certified teacher. Plus, really young kids have dialogue coaches, and if they have a lot to do, their own directors. He's probably signaling to his mother or father, or possibly the social worker.
Old 05 February 2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
He's got a really uncomfortable look on his face. His IMDb entry doesn't give a birth year, though, so I can't tell how old he was when he did this, but he looks maybe six or seven, which makes him just young enough to be in the age group (three to about six, maybe seven if the kid is stubborn) notorious for not having to go when you tell them it's their last chance for a while, then suddenly having to ten minutes later.
That long?
Old 05 February 2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
That long?
Well, the length of time it takes to put on snowsuit, scarf, boots, and hat, or the length of time it takes to get buckled into carseat, out of the driveway, down the street, and off the exit on to the highway. Or the length of time it takes to wait in line at the movie theater, purchase two adult and one child tickets, wait in line to purchase popcorn and drinks, find three seats together, and get settled, and for the lights to dim. I have not actually timed any of these things with a stop watch.
Old 05 February 2010, 04:07 PM

I used to do just the opposite to my mom -- we'd stand in some long line for the bathroom, and then when it was our turn, I couldn't go. It wasn't exactly shy bladder, more like fickle bladder.
Old 05 February 2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Is this the take actually used in the film, and is the kid's hand gesture visible on screen?
Yes, I just checked the DVD (from the three-film box set) and it's the same take. It's not really very obvious unless you're looking for it though - it's not like the real film zooms in and repeats it several times in close-up...
Old 05 February 2010, 04:34 PM

That is on the final cut. From the look on his face, I agree that it just looks like he needs a restroom.

ETA: Spanked by a minute! And we have the same DVD version.
Old 05 February 2010, 06:40 PM

The way the camera moves as he does it, looks like he's actually signalling the cameraman where to move and when to stop. Why they'd leave that up to a kid though...
Old 05 February 2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thera View Post
The way the camera moves as he does it, looks like he's actually signalling the cameraman where to move and when to stop. Why they'd leave that up to a kid though...
Well no, of course they wouldn't. And the fact that the camera keeps moving after he signals pretty much eliminates that idea anyway.

He just needs to pee, poor kid. As if a kid that age would have any other concept of what his penis is for, yet, anyway. He certainly wouldn't be interested in suggesting to Ms Shue that she do anything more with him/it than take him to a bathroom.
Old 05 February 2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-Fang View Post
He just needs to pee, poor kid. As if a kid that age would have any other concept of what his penis is for, yet, anyway. He certainly wouldn't be interested in suggesting to Ms Shue that she do anything more with him/it than take him to a bathroom.
Well, my son doesn't know his petsele has anything to do with girls (what? girls don't even have them! geez, mom, don't you know anything?) But he does know he can have fun with it. After his bath, he insists on his alone time in the tub while I go and do something else.
Old 05 February 2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
ETA: any time kids are used in a film or TV show, they have to have a parent, or parent-appointed guardian (like an aunt, or a sibling who is older than 18), plus a social worker for each X-number of kids, and if it interferes with their school attendance, a state certified teacher. Plus, really young kids have dialogue coaches, and if they have a lot to do, their own directors. He's probably signaling to his mother or father, or possibly the social worker.
Interesting - is a social worker required on all US sets? Here in Canada, one is only required if the scene may be traumatic to the child(ren). Sets with several children are supposed to have a "wrangler" who is responsible for the kids, but other than that the rules are similar. A teacher is required only if the kids are going to miss 3 or more school days.

I can't view the video for some reason, but I'm surprised it made it past final editing.
Old 26 May 2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnejanet View Post
I can't view the video for some reason, but I'm surprised it made it past final editing.
They might not have had another take they could use, and it's not really very obvious if you're watching the film rather than the little boy. I must have seen the film at least twice, perhaps three times, without spotting it. Presumably most people did, in fact, otherwise it would hardly be a "new" video.

Reshooting a scene like that after noticing something in the edit would be quite expensive anyway - it's an elaborate set with several costumed characters - and I doubt it would have been worth it to do so even if people did spot this during editing, or even in the rushes.

(eta) Sorry, no real reason to resurrect the thread, I just happened to read it again on the way past as I was looking for something else...
Old 26 May 2010, 07:21 PM

Your point is valid though. I've seen those films probably closer to 10 times, and never noticed that child doing that.

You're watching the action, generally, not the background standaround characters.

However, editors probably should be watching the background exactly for things like this. So it's kind of interesting anyway. I'm not sure we can say it "should" have been caught or that it "likely" wasn't because it's not that obvious.
Old 26 May 2010, 08:26 PM

Do editors watch the background action during filming too? If it was only spotted in the edit then there probably wasn't much they could do about it.
Old 26 May 2010, 08:33 PM

There is a position called continuity editor. It's their job to watch for mistakes in continuity and issues with background, noises, people walking on scene. etc. and noting them down by scene and take. The problem is if they did this scene say 6 times and the shot they wanted with the main actors came out better in a shot where something small like that happens, that's what the editor is going to use. It's a matter of weighing how big an issue the distraction is over getting the best performance from your talent.
Old 26 May 2010, 08:35 PM

I wonder what kind of person was that focused on the crotch of children in the background that they noticed this.
Old 26 May 2010, 10:57 PM

Possibly someone who is related to the kid. Apparently a relative not all that fond of him, though. If the news had come out shortly after the film was released, I'd say "older brother." Maybe now it's "ex-wife," or something.