snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Old 02 February 2010, 05:00 AM

Default Girl with no vagina impregnated via fellatio + stabbing

I found this story via Boing Boing today. Apparently it appeared in a 1988 medical journal.

Quote:
The patient was well aware of the fact that she had no vagina and she had started oral experiments after disappointing attempts at conventional intercourse. Just before she was stabbed in the abdomen she had practised fellatio with her new boyfriend and was caught in the act by her former lover. The fight with knives ensued.
Sounds suspicious, and comment #23 points out the similarity to the pregnant via bullet story and links to snopes.
Old 02 February 2010, 07:52 AM

It's all over Fark too, apparently for the second time. The journal record mentions it happened in Lesotho, which makes the whole "15-year-old working in a bar" part less bizarre-sounding.
Old 02 February 2010, 08:05 AM

She was born with no vagina. I can buy that - I do know of a lass that was born with no anal opening (fixed with surgery).

However the girl in the OP had functioning ovaries and uterus - she had to to carry a baby to term.

So before her pregnancy, what exactly happened to her menses? I've read that an imperforate hymen can cause unpleasantness.
Old 02 February 2010, 01:07 PM

This case report is indeed printed in

British Journal
of Obstetrics and Gynaecology

September 1988, Vol. 95, pp. 933-934

So even if it is a UL, strictly speaking the statement that "The following appeared in a medical journal" is true." There is a letter in the April 1989 edition saying that it is interesting and reminds the writer of the 1874 report in the American Medial Weekly of the son of a gun story (as the OP notes as well.)

I doubt the veracity of this report based on a variety of biologic factors. It is true that the salpnges (tubes) open to the peritineum (abdominal cavity) but the travel from the now open stomach wouldb e too hostile to the sperm- not to mention that they would not "know" to travel that way in anycase.

Then, even if they somehow got to the egg, at best you would get an ectopic pregnancy, but I think even that is exceedingly unlikely.

Old 02 February 2010, 01:15 PM

Is it not quite a perfect piece of timing that the former lover happened upon her and her boyfriend and stabbed her just after she had swallowed?

Or did she spit onto her abdomen, and the semen was picked up on the blade of the knife?
Old 02 February 2010, 01:23 PM

Best I can tell, the claim is that it exited the stomach, but I guess they do not clarify that bit.

Also, you asked about imperforate hymen before: yes, painful. The authors of the original case report mention that this would likely have been her first (or close to it) ovulation because otherwise the non-expelled menses would have scarred her tubes. So even more of a perfect storm.
Old 02 February 2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post

British Journal
of Obstetrics and Gynaecology[LEFT]
September 1988, Vol. 95, pp. 933-934

The author seems to be still publishing (click on his name in the pubmed reference); if it was a "joke" submission I would have expected it to be a "one-off," possibly pseudonymous publication.

Nick
Old 02 February 2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I doubt the veracity of this report based on a variety of biologic factors. It is true that the salpnges (tubes) open to the peritineum (abdominal cavity) but the travel from the now open stomach wouldb e too hostile to the sperm-
There is another case report (which cites the OP) on sperm present in the peritoneal cavity (of a man), so if they survived the stomach, they might well live for awhile in the peritoneum.

I agree that this does sound unlikely, but I don't know what to make of the report otherwise.

Nick
Old 02 February 2010, 02:54 PM

Okay, if this woman could get pregnant, she was obviously ovulating. But if she had no vagina, where was the menstrual blood going when she had her periods? Was it just building up in her abdomen or somewhere.

Sounds pretty ick
Old 04 February 2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Also, you asked about imperforate hymen before: yes, painful. The authors of the original case report mention that this would likely have been her first (or close to it) ovulation because otherwise the non-expelled menses would have scarred her tubes. So even more of a perfect storm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catty5nutz View Post
Okay, if this woman could get pregnant, she was obviously ovulating. But if she had no vagina, where was the menstrual blood going when she had her periods? Was it just building up in her abdomen or somewhere.

Sounds pretty ick
As Dr. Dave stated it would have to have been her first or second ovulation.
Old 05 February 2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
...there was no trace of lochia after the caesarean section
But where did that go?
Old 20 February 2010, 08:50 PM

Icon97

Quote:

British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology

September 1988, Vol. 95, pp. 933-934.
Verkuyl, D.A.A. Oral conception. Impregnation via the proximal gastrointestinal tract in a patient with an aplastic distal vagina. Case report.