Old 31 January 2010, 02:52 AM

Fright Facebook pedophile group

Comment: ATTENTION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do not
join the group that runs currently on facebook with the title "becoming a
father or mother was the greatest gift of my life" This is a group created
by pedophiles whose aim is to access your photos!!!!!!!...!!!!! Please
rotate ...this post to all Your Friends
Old 31 January 2010, 03:04 AM

I have a FB friend I've started calling "The Howler" after those messages on Harry Potter. She posts these sorts of status updates all day long.
Old 31 January 2010, 03:58 AM

ATTENTION!!!

I do not like Mr X. No good reason, it's just two people sometimes don't get along. As such I have adopted an irrational desire to slur him using the fluffy medium of Social Networking sites.

If Mr X asks yoiu to be his friend, or invites you to join his group, please don't accept because of whatever spiteful and fallacious reason I can dream up to slander him with.
Old 31 January 2010, 04:16 AM

Leaving the issue of who created the group and for what purpose aside, the fact is that joining a group does not give anyone in the group, including the admins, access to anything on your profile they wouldn't otherwise have access to.
Old 31 January 2010, 04:19 AM

That's fair enough Kev but if I joined the group, despite the fact the other group members who aren't friends cannot see my photo albums, could I not if I had the slightest inclination to, post my cute picture of my five year old in a bathing suit or in the bath to the group page for all group members to view? Would not a number of members be tempted so to do if it was a "sharing your experiences of your child and cute moments" group; "this is my kid in the bath - isn't she cute"?

Last edited by Eddylizard; 31 January 2010 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 31 January 2010, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
That's fair enough Kev but if I joined the group, despite the fact the other group members who aren't friends cannot see my photo albums, could I not if I had the slightest inclination to, post my cute picture of my five year old in a bathing suit or in the bath to the group page for all group members to view? Would not a number of members be tempted so to do; "this is my kid in the bath - isn't she cute"?
You could, but I would hope not. What I was responding to was what I inferred as a suggestion that one's photos would be in immediate danger of being accessed by the alleged pedophiles by simply joining the group. Mainly the phrase "their aim is to access your photos" was what made me take it that way. I took that to mean "they" intended to actively access your photos, not hope that you might voluntarily share them.
Old 31 January 2010, 04:46 AM

Roll eyes

So what if they "access" photos of your children? It's not going to empower them to molest your kids over the Internet, or provide them with information that enables them go out and abduct your children and sell them into white slavery.
Old 31 January 2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
You could, but I would hope not...
I wouldn't, but I have been sent in all innocence pictures of someone when they were pre-pubescent and naked or near naked captioned "I was such a cute child asn't I?". I had to say "Don't you ever send me anything like that ever again!" Because having images of naked 5 year olds is not treated very kindly by our justice system. No doubt I'd have been cleared, but the stigma sticks.

I took it to mean it was social engineering - they get you to share the pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
So what if they "access" photos of your children? It's not going to empower them to molest your kids over the Internet, or provide them with information that enables them go out and abduct your children and sell them into white slavery.
I'm assuming it's more "right now if you joined this group some dirty pervert might be masturbating over photos of you child." Which is disturbing enough.

Imagine some guy sitting in a car outside a school playground discretely masturbating at the sight of them (or putting the images in his mental wank bank). He's not going to touch them, and the children have come to no harm.

It is a "so what" but it might be unsettling for the parents if they found out.

Having said that I still think the OP is nonsense.
Old 31 January 2010, 05:31 AM

Icon84

Quote:
I'm assuming it's more "right now if you joined this group some dirty pervert might be masturbating over photos of you child." Which is disturbing enough.
But some "dirty pervert" could be doing that no matter where on the Internet your childrens' pictures might be. It's not like wankers can't find pictures of children on the Internet unless you join some super-eeeevil Facebook group
Old 31 January 2010, 07:32 AM

But let's not make it too easy for them. I agree the OP is probably bogus, but I understand the intention. A lot of parents think it's safe to share their photos in such parental support groups, and simply wouldn't post them more generically online, for much the same reason the OP scarelore works - "Perverts might be wanking to my little Johnny".

The thinking goes like this: Chances are, if some pervert really is looking for photos this way, yes, he's going to find photos of random children all over the internet anyway. But they're not going to be photos of MY children.
Old 31 January 2010, 10:56 AM

And they aren't going to be photos of a random child with no backstory. If we know the child is six, lives in XYZtown and likes My Little Ponies and is named Abigail it enhances the fantasy. Just as the page three pictures used to say "Samantha 21 lives in Basildon and enjoys horseback riding."
Old 31 January 2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-Fang View Post
But let's not make it too easy for them
Well then we probably should get rid of google.
Old 31 January 2010, 04:47 PM

Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-Fang View Post
A lot of parents think it's safe to share their photos in such parental support groups, and simply wouldn't post them more generically online
But it is safe -- the harm is merely a perceived one, not an actual one. It's like claiming that posting a picture of your car in a Facebook group is dangerous because it might prompt some hoodlum to fantasize about stealing a similar model.
Old 31 January 2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
And they aren't going to be photos of a random child with no backstory. If we know the child is six, lives in XYZtown and likes My Little Ponies and is named Abigail it enhances the fantasy. Just as the page three pictures used to say "Samantha 21 lives in Basildon and enjoys horseback riding."
They even have them expressing political opinions these days. Strangly enough, they are exactly in line with the Sun's editorial stance.