snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Business

Old 20 December 2009, 02:53 AM

Icon605 Aluminum can tabs contain titanium?

Comment: We are collecting pull tops for collection by someone who states they
contain titanium and are melted down for use by those involved in landmine
clearance as part of the reconstruction and treatment of landmine victims.

Have you heard of this and is it true? I am concerned because I thought it
would be easier to simply donate the whole can or the redemption value of
the cans on a monthly basis, as I've never heard of soft drink cans
containing titanium.
Old 20 December 2009, 04:48 AM

While some alloys of aluminium contain titanium, it is a very small amount. We are talking about something that is less than 0.30% by weight at best if I remember right.

The time and money spent to remove such a small amount of titanium could not be very cost effective. I would think turning the can in for money and donation it would be more effective.
Old 21 December 2009, 06:19 AM

Singing in the Drizzle is correct. It's only trace amounts, much more expensive to extract than to simply buy fresh titanium on the open market (which, by the way, is the reason those trace amounts remain in the tab).

By the way, it's not just the tab, it's the entire can.
Old 23 December 2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
Singing in the Drizzle is correct. It's only trace amounts, much more expensive to extract than to simply buy fresh titanium on the open market (which, by the way, is the reason those trace amounts remain in the tab).

By the way, it's not just the tab, it's the entire can.
Doing a little more research on aluminum pop cans and their alloy.

Quote:
Raw Materials
The raw material of the aluminum beverage can is, of course, aluminum. Aluminum is derived from an ore called bauxite. U.S. aluminum producers import bauxite, primarily from Jamaica and Guinea. The bauxite is refined and then smelted, and the resulting molten aluminum is cast into ingots The aluminum base, for beverage cans consists mostly of aluminum, but it contains small amounts of other metals as well. These are typically 1% magnesium, 1% manganese, 0.4% iron, 0.2% silicon, and 0.15% copper. A large portion of the aluminum used in the beverage can industry is derived from recycled material. Twenty-five percent of the total American aluminum supply comes from recycled scrap, and the beverage can industry is the primary user of recycled material. The energy savings are significant when used cans are remelted, and the aluminum can industry now reclaims more than 63% of used cans.
I do not see titanium in there. Though they do use recycled aluminum and if some of it comes from other source than aluminum cans. There is a high probability that there are trace amounts of titanium, in quantities that would be insignificant.

The tops are made from a slightly different alloy but still no titanium.
Old 09 April 2010, 05:36 PM

These mythical reasons for collecting pop tabs have been circulating for decades. Usually they take hold in an office environment, and involve a sick child. Everyone just goes along as they don't want to be the monster that stopped little Timmy getting her operation. (Yes, I know what I wrote; Timmy needed a sex-change. Try to keep up.)

This one is more rubbish than usual. Titanium itself isn't even all that expensive, about $10/lb. The reason titanium parts are expensive is because it's devilishly difficult to work with. It's the cost of forming and machining the part that makes titanium bits famously costly, not the price of the metal itself.