snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 21 March 2007, 03:36 AM
Quantum Leap2

Icon605

This was really teriffic. But did you notice the countries changed but his dance didn't? And those California folk were using the same moves he had. I'd like to see him do the Macarana.
Old 22 March 2007, 03:01 PM
defaultcrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewPot View Post
Reminds me of this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsiB6hwn6dY

Might not be quite as interesting unless you're from Utah.
I noticed he pronounced "Hurricane" like it's spelled. I'm disappointed. *laugh*

Slightly OT, but we just moved out of the Eagle Mountain area, StewPot. My husband and I housesat in Saratoga Springs for awhile.
Old 22 March 2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I still can't beleive he skipped Canada!!
Quote:
From Matt's Site: Why do you hate Canadians?
I donít hate Canadians. I made an ill-advised sarcastic remark on this page that some took at face value. The idea seemed ridiculous. How can anyone hate Canadians? Itís like hating bread.

Then why haven't you been to Canada?
Iíve been to Canada many times and have a high opinion of the place and its people (and bread too). I simply havenít danced there yet. I will remedy that soon.
...and for additional text, I'd like to once again state how I am totally stea- err.. "honoring" his idea by doing it myself sometime before I turn thirty.. Not the same countries/places perhaps (some would essentially be impossible for a regular joe) but I do plan to make a "trip around the world" so to speak, not anytime soon, but its going on my list of "things to do before I turn thirty".

-MB
Old 23 March 2007, 12:29 AM

I have seen this clip many times, and still can't get enough of it. If it were only the Rwanda and Tibet bits, it would still bring a huge smile to my face. The rest is just sweet, sweet gravy.
Old 23 March 2007, 01:38 AM

That was a touching video. I was moved when he was dancing with the happy children of Rwanda and laughed when I saw him trying to dance under water.
Nice to see a viral video that is uplifting without trying to be. I admire this guy.

Last edited by Thebobo; 23 March 2007 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Mistake
Old 23 March 2007, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum Leap2 View Post
This was really teriffic. But did you notice the countries changed but his dance didn't? And those California folk were using the same moves he had. I'd like to see him do the Macarana.
It's not the dance that's important, it the DANCING
Old 23 March 2007, 03:12 AM
Hepcat

Hello Kitty

He went all those cool places, and were does he film himself in Seattle? The Fremont Troll? There are so many places in Seattle that are so much better. I've never gotten the draw of the troll.

I was a really neat video though. I'm so jealous of all the places he's been.
Old 23 March 2007, 03:24 AM

Icon22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
He went all those cool places, and were does he film himself in Seattle? The Fremont Troll? There are so many places in Seattle that are so much better. I've never gotten the draw of the troll.

I was a really neat video though. I'm so jealous of all the places he's been.
Dude. It's a troll under a bridge. I mean, who else has a troll under a bridge?
Old 23 March 2007, 04:37 AM

Ponder Dancing Statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebobo View Post
Nice to see a viral video that is uplifting without trying to be. I admire this guy.
That statement sums up excellently why I like this video. Well said!
Old 23 March 2007, 09:23 AM

I looked around a bit and found this:
Quote:
Kjeragbolten
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kjeragbolten is a boulder wedged in a mountain crevice in the Kjerag mountains in Norway. The name means Kjerag Boulder or Bolt. Below the bolder is a sheer drop of about 3200 feet (1000 meters) to Lysefjorden, below.

The nearby cliffs are a poplular destination for BASE Jumpers.

Kjeragbolten lies at the end of a strenuous 3-5 hour hike on often muddy terrain. The trailhead is several hours drive from Stavanger.

Matt Harding, from the Internet phenomenon "Where the Hell is Matt?," danced on Kjeragbolten for his second travel video ...
Old 23 March 2007, 11:48 AM
yogi cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Evilpixie View Post
Not only that, but it's eating a REAL volkswagen as far as I remember!
Really, though--I would guess it got in there because of the little kids...
Old 23 March 2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defaultcrush View Post
I noticed he pronounced "Hurricane" like it's spelled. I'm disappointed. *laugh*

Slightly OT, but we just moved out of the Eagle Mountain area, StewPot. My husband and I housesat in Saratoga Springs for awhile.
Lyrics: "I'll probably get some wrong, but who cares it's just a song"

Old 23 March 2007, 08:30 PM
Beastly Despot

I gotta say, I don't get the travel thing. That's a cute video and all, but my internal calculator is just humming along all through it, counting how much he must have spent to get to each place just so he could dance on their rocks instead of his rocks, or next to their water instead of his own water..... Yikes!

Sorry for the curmudgeonly (sp?) attitude, I just don't get travel....
Old 23 March 2007, 09:20 PM

Icon22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastly Despot View Post
I gotta say, I don't get the travel thing. That's a cute video and all, but my internal calculator is just humming along all through it, counting how much he must have spent to get to each place just so he could dance on their rocks instead of his rocks, or next to their water instead of his own water..... Yikes!

That's fine for you, but some of us want to see places we've never seen before, so we can see how different, or similar, they are to home.

I've been to Mexico, Canada, Japan, California, Oregon (Eastern and Western), Washington (Eastern and Western), Kansas, and I'll soon get to go to New Orleans. All of those places have things that I don't have at home, and things that I do have at home, but different somehow. And I feel the richer for experiencing them.

You're perfectly free to stay home if you like, but I want to see more of this world I live in, to see how big and small it really is.
Old 24 March 2007, 04:28 PM
Hepcat

Hello Kitty

Quote:
I like the way you phrased that, so okay.
I suppose it's less obvious than the Space Needle.

And again I must say how envious I am of the places that young man has been.
Old 24 March 2007, 05:04 PM

I loved the troll. It a part of Seattle that is not so obvious. I also liked that he danced at Monument Valley instead of the Grand Canyon.

I have been to a few of the places that he has been to, and that inspires me to go to more of them. There are so many beautiful places in the world that I want to see.

When I was watching, I was wondering how he gets the money to just travel. It takes so long to earn money and so little time to spend it.
Old 24 March 2007, 05:13 PM

He's endorsed by Stride gum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon View Post
I loved the troll. It a part of Seattle that is not so obvious. I also liked that he danced at Monument Valley instead of the Grand Canyon.

I have been to a few of the places that he has been to, and that inspires me to go to more of them. There are so many beautiful places in the world that I want to see.

When I was watching, I was wondering how he gets the money to just travel. It takes so long to earn money and so little time to spend it.
Old 24 March 2007, 05:44 PM
SsnakeBite

Theme Icon

This may make no point but... he went to the Area 51 and didn' t get shot ?

Anyway, very cool video. I' ve already been in a lot of places, yet I wish I had been at as many ones as he did.

Also, some of the footages made me nostalgic. I' ve been at Berlin and Abu Simbel, and those are two very good memories ( no the same kind, though ).
Old 25 March 2007, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastly Despot View Post

Well.. First things first, I doubt he went to each place and did a quick dance and then said "well, thats that, whats next?" I imagine he spent a fair amount of time in each place, the dancing is just a snapshot of that...

As for "seeing thier rocks instead of our rocks", some of those places have unique things to see, unique people to meet, which will give you a new perspective on life.. Or perhaps just give you something to do, some stoires to tell, and a dancing video to make.

As you said, to each their own, but to simplify seeing the world, including not so well known places and peoples, as "seeing their rocks instead of our rocks, and their water instead of our water" is a drastic oversimplification of the whole idea of travel in general.. I mean if thats your logic why even leave the town you were born in? Its all the same rocks and dirt right?

-MB
Old 27 March 2007, 02:03 AM
Malalaise

Wow,that was delightful to watch.His accomplishments are as truly inspiring in reminding us that sometimes the simplest things can look wonderful.

I wanna travel around the world to now! XD