snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Glurge Gallery

Old 19 March 2007, 09:34 PM
46liter

Default Chocolate Sings

Fairly tolerable glurg IMO. Could have done without the mangled up poetry,though. IMO, this would have been more palatable as prose.

CHOCOLATE SINGS

One day I had a date for lunch with friends. Mae, a little old "blue hair" about 80 years old, came along with them---All in all, a pleasant bunch. When the menus were presented, we ordered salads, sandwiches , and soups, except for Mae who said, "Ice Cream, please. Two scoops, chocolate."

I wasn't sure my ears heard right, and the others were aghast. "

Along with heated apple pie," Mae added, completely unabashed.

We tried to act quite nonchalant, as if people did this all the time.

But when our orders were brought out, I didn't enjoy mine.

I couldn't take my eyes off Mae as her pie a-la-mode went down.

The other ladies showed dismay. They ate their lunches silently and frowned.

The next time I went out to eat, I called and invited Mae. I lunched on white meat tuna. She ordered a parfait. I smiled. She asked if she amused me. I answered, "Yes, you do, but also you confuse me. How come you order rich desserts, while I feel I must be sensible?

She laughed and said, with wanton mirth, "I'm tasting all that's Possible. I try to eat the food I need, and do the things I should.

But life's so short, my friend, I hate missing out on something good.

This year I realized how old I was.. (She grinned) I haven't been this old before."

"So, before I die, I've got to try those things that for years I had ignored. I haven't smelled all the flowers yet.

There are too many books I haven't read. There's more fudge sundaes to wolf down and kites to be flown overhead.

There are many malls I haven't shopped. I've not laughed at all the jokes. I've missed a lot of Broadway hits and potato chips and cokes.

I want to wade again in water and feel ocean spray on my face.

I want to sit in a country church once more and thank God for His grace.

I want peanut butter every day spread on my morning toast.

I want un-timed long distance calls to the folks I love the most.

I haven't cried at all the movies yet, or walked in the morning rain. I need to feel wind in my hair. I want to fall in love again.

So, if I choose to have dessert, instead of having dinner, then should I die before night fall, I'd say I died a winner, because I missed out on nothing. I filled my heart's desire. I had that final chocolate mousse before my life expired."

With that, I called the waitress over. "I've changed my mind," I said. "I want what she is having, only add some more whipped cream!"

This is my gift to you - We need an annual Friends Day! If you get this twice, then you have more than one friend. Live well, love much &laugh often - Be happy.

PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO ALL OF YOUR F RIENDS IF YOU WANT TO.

Be mindful that happiness isn't based on possessions, power, or prestige , but on relationships with people we love and respect.

Remember that while money talks, CHOCOLATE SINGS
Old 19 March 2007, 09:35 PM
46liter

Whoops, Glurge, not Glurg
Old 19 March 2007, 09:55 PM

You know if she reached the age of 80, she has the right to eat whatever she damn well pleases.
Old 19 March 2007, 10:28 PM

I'll agree with that last line. Chocolate Sings!!
Oooh, I think I now have a sig line!
Old 19 March 2007, 11:06 PM

I thought that an old woman ordering chocolate ice cream for lunch was the strangest faux pas ever (the description is like she was stripping in front of everyone) until I saw she was ordering it for pie (yuck, better not be apple or anything!)

Also, if you eat nothing but dessert for dinner, it very well might be your last day on earth any day then.
Old 19 March 2007, 11:09 PM

Luckily, I don't like chocolate. I love fruit of all kinds and eat it as a dessert and a snack. I love veggies in my main meals, and even as a snack. I do like salt a little bit too much, and coffee. But for the most part, my arteries and my tongue are thankful I don't have to kill myself to eat healthy. When you enjoy good foods, staying skinny and healthy is a heck of a lot easier then it is for most.
Edit: Not to mention when people see that I am thin and the figure out it's not my metabolism or genes but my diet, they think I have tremendous self control.
"Self control? I'm horrible. You've obviously never seen me attack a crunchy bowl of yummy carrots!"
Edit: I once had a vit. C overdose because I ate too much citrus fruit. I was little and didn't understand why I had to stop eating so much of it. I like sour and tart things.
Old 20 March 2007, 12:52 AM
claudia

Flame

I am a 56 year old woman and I've never liked chocolate; I don't eat sugar; and I'm tired of being told I'm depriving myself by not eating crap that I don't like.
Old 20 March 2007, 01:56 PM
JessBoo

I hate it I hate it I hate it. People who act like you're being so naughty if you eat chocolate really annoy me. One dessert is not going to kill you, a few extra calories today will not turn you obese overnight. If you want ice cream for lunch then eat ice cream for lunch, ffs.

I think this mostly annoys me because my friends and people I work with always do that 'I don't know how you do it, I couldn't possibly have a dessert' thing when I have one, like I have magical calorie-burning powers I'm not telling them about. It's called moderation, people. Stop depriving yourselves!
Old 20 March 2007, 02:11 PM

Oooh, I love when people give up eating a gelatto (because of health reasons, they say) with about half a days worth of calories and then will get a McSalad with iceburg lettuce (crunchy water, people!) and about a cup of dressing and a 'diet' soda, and a cheeseburger.
Old 20 March 2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46liter View Post
This year I realized how old I was.. (She grinned) I haven't been this old before..
Really, you don't say really. I would have guessed that you have been that old before.
Old 20 March 2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I lunched on white meat tuna.
What? Who ever heard of "white meat tuna"? I'm assuming this is tuna salad, with a ton of mayonnaise in it. That's not healthy. You might as well have dessert.
Old 20 March 2007, 05:26 PM
Lady Neeva

White meat tuna = albacore tuna
Old 20 March 2007, 06:46 PM

Icon220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm View Post
What? Who ever heard of "white meat tuna"? I'm assuming this is tuna salad, with a ton of mayonnaise in it. That's not healthy. You might as well have dessert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Neeva View Post
White meat tuna = albacore tuna
Yep, and a grilled albacore "burger" is so delicious. Especially served open face on wheat toast with grilled onions and pineapple. *purrs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkrose115 View Post
Oooh, I love when people give up eating a gelatto (because of health reasons, they say) with about half a days worth of calories and then will get a McSalad with iceburg lettuce (crunchy water, people!) and about a cup of dressing and a 'diet' soda, and a cheeseburger.
I don't understand the ire. I must be missing something. If it's nutrition based:

McSalad: [side salad] 20 Calories, 0 fat (I like crunchy water. It's filling.)
1 packet McSalad Dressing (Ranch): 170 Cal, 15g fat
McDonald's Cheeseburger: 300 Cal, 12g fat
'Diet' Soda: 0 Cal, 0 g fat (Why the apostrophes?)

Total: 490 Cal, 27g fat. (If you switched to Low-fat Balsamic Vinaigrette, you'd get 360 cal, 18g fat. Even better. That's a pretty reasonable lunch.)

Gelati-da Amaretto Chocolate Gelato [1 cup]: 300 cal, 9 g fat. (44g sugar!)

Pretty high for a snack. I guess if they're eating it for lunch, it's comparable to the cheeseburger, but it's lower in protein and significantly higher in sugar so it wouldn't make a very good meal (not that the cheeseburger is the best for you, either). I can also understand someone giving up a 44g sugar dessert for health reasons...

I agree that it's okay to have dessert if you want it. I even think that people who really like sweets should plan to eat them fairly frequently (in small amounts) to prevent binging. But I don't get your example. I think I must be missing something?
Old 20 March 2007, 10:09 PM
Lady Neeva

Inkrose... are you SURE it was a vitamin c overdose? It's reccomended not to take more than 2 grams of vitamin c in a day... just to reach that level would take over 8lbs of oranges.

And thats obviously not the toxic level -- I couldn't find that number. Only reason I even looked it up is because I'm currently on an orange juice kick so your comment scared me LOL. But I've been drinking enough orange juice over the course of the day to equal almost 9grams of vitamin C with no ill effects. Yes, for those doing the math, I've been going through about a gallon of orange juice a day for a week now lol.
Old 20 March 2007, 11:04 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Inkrose... are you SURE it was a vitamin c overdose? It's reccomended not to take more than 2 grams of vitamin c in a day... just to reach that level would take over 8lbs of oranges.
She said it was when she was a child--that probably makes a difference.

Seaboe
Old 20 March 2007, 11:17 PM

It was not a typical example as much as sarcasm aimed at various people I've known who eat at McDonalds and their very odd dietary habits. I've had people I know turn down gelato like it's the PLAGUE. And had the nerve to insinuate that my arteries were going to harden instantly if I even went near the doors to the gelatto place. And then going on to applaud their meal choice as being the correct one.

I also pointed out that most of the flavors were sorbettos (with 1/4 of the calories) and they had varieties like low fat and no sugar (which actually tasted good). But no, apparently the gelato was teh ebil. While their dietary choice was the ultimate in health. Yeah, you just keep pouring 6 packets of salad dressing... And you eat those fries and that cheeseburger. And obviously, diet soda is called diet soda because it magically burns fat.
It wasn't even their lunch, it was like a snack. It wasn't just one person that did this either, or a one time deal. *bangs head on wall.* Am I just a magnet for nuts?

I was trying to spare you a rant, really.

Quote:
It was apparently the beginnings of a vit. C overdose. Or so my pediatrician said. Keep in mind I was very small, and it would probably take a lot less than it would for a normal adult. Also, they were grapefruits which weighed around 1 pound, un-prepared. One has about 38 miligrams. I ate 4 of them, and got a bad case of the runs.
Edit: Considering I was at least 1/3 of the size I am now, uh... I'm curious as to where I put all them grapefruits.

Last edited by inkrose115; 20 March 2007 at 11:24 PM.
Old 21 March 2007, 05:12 AM
Lady Neeva

I see... I dunno, for some reason I had the impression that it was more serious (like hospitalization and all that fun stuff). Now I'm wondering the toxic levels of lots of things thanks to you... for example, whats the toxic level of vit. c in a guinea pig? heh

Wonder how much of the incident was vit. c overdose (which that would be a symptom of) and how much of it was just eating way too many grapefruits (which I've heard have a mild laxitive effect anyway).

Not doubting you, thats just the way my mind works sometimes is all... I spent most of last week wondering if I'd trained the cats to do something or they had trained ME to give them treats when they did it LOL. I always ponder things like that heh.
Old 21 March 2007, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Not doubting you, thats just the way my mind works sometimes is all... I spent most of last week wondering if I'd trained the cats to do something or they had trained ME to give them treats when they did it LOL. I always ponder things like that heh.
I'd say the cats trained you! Oh, and no doubt grapefruits have a laxative effect, but it was mad scary, and affected how I urinated too. It wasn't serious 'cause the doctor insited I cut down on grapefruit by a LOT. She was under the impression it would have gotten serious if I kept up eating that much grapefruit. I'd been doing it for a while. Luckily we excrete most of it out pretty fast, otherwise it would have been a lot worse.
Old 21 March 2007, 12:24 PM

Back to the glurge: What's this about malls she hasn't shopped? Most malls are so similar that if you've shopped one you've shopped a mall (get it, ha ha.)

And kite flying? Just my personal opinion, but I've never seen what was so much fun about flying a kite. Paper airplanes are cool but kites are meh.

And yes, I take issue with the attitude that you are not enjoying life unless you eat junk food all the time and that healthy food is dull and boring. I happen to enjoy eating the healthy stuff. I eat ice cream, chocolate, and greasy plates of fries once in a while (note that key phrase) but don't feel deprived if I don't have these things for lunch each day. Even indulgence gets old after a while.
Old 21 March 2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogers View Post
Even indulgence gets old after a while.
This is why I eat sushi/curry/shrimp dishes once a week at the most. I would hate to become sick of them, as I inevitably would if I ate them too often. I eat plenty of snacks and junk food but the idea of consuming it every day makes me nauseous.