snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Spook Central

Old 19 March 2007, 08:57 PM

Icon27 The Hidden Hazards of Microwave Cooking

Comment: I'm pretty sure this is bogus, but decided to check it . . .

http://www.mercola.com/article/microwave/hazards.htm
Old 19 March 2007, 09:11 PM

Mister Ed

Quote:
The purpose of this report is to show proof - evidence - that microwave cooking is not natural...
I'm shocked! I thought that's how the lions of the Serengeti warmed their morning coffee each day.
Old 19 March 2007, 09:37 PM

From the article:
Quote:
"Microwaving baby formulas converted certain trans-amino acids into their synthetic cis-isomers. Synthetic isomers, whether cis-amino acids or trans-fatty acids, are not biologically active.

Further, one of the amino acids, L-proline, was converted to its d-isomer, which is known to be neurotoxic (poisonous to the nervous system) and nephrotoxic (poisonous to the kidneys). It's bad enough that many babies are not nursed, but now they are given fake milk (baby formula) made even more toxic via microwaving."
First of all, there are no such things as trans- or cis-amino acids. (Perhaps L- or D- amino acids were meant? In any case, prolyl peptide bonds, but not free proline, within a protein can assume a cis- or trans configuration, and there is an enzyme that regulates this)

Second of all, D-amino acids, icluding proline, can and do exist naturally in organisms at various levels. See this abstract (not written in the best English, but far better than my Japanese):

Life Sci. 2006 Mar 6;78(15):1677-81. Epub 2006 Feb 9.

The presence of high concentrations of free D-amino acids in human saliva.

Nagata Y, Higashi M, Ishii Y, Sano H, Tanigawa M, Nagata K, Noguchi K, Urade M.

Department of Materials and Applied Chemistry, College of Science and
Technology, Nihon University, Kanda-Surugadai, Chiyoda-Ku, Tokyo 101-8308,
Japan.

Free neutral D-amino acids have previously been detected in human plasma, usually accounting for less than 2% of the total free amino acid concentration (D-amino acid ratio) ... In the present study to search for the source of free D-amino acids, D- and L-enantiomers of the major non-essential amino acids, i.e., the free form of serine, alanine, proline, aspartate and glutamate were analyzed by HPLC in human saliva, submandibular glands and oral epithelial cells. The D-enantiomer ratios to total of free alanine or proline were 35% and 20%, respectively, in saliva. [emphasis mine-NT] The ratios of the other D-amino acids were less than 11%. The effect of ingested food and oral bacteria on the saliva amino acid levels was suggested to be insignificant. D-Alanine and d-aspartate were also detected in the submandibular gland in ratios up to 5%, and D-alanine and d-proline were found in oral epithelial cells in ratios of 18% and 5%, respectively. The submandibular gland and oral epithelial cells are suggested to be possible sources of the saliva D-alanine and D-aspartate.
Old 20 March 2007, 12:08 AM

Quote:
The purpose of this report is to show proof - evidence - that microwave cooking is not natural...
Isn't that the case wiith any sort of cooking at all?
And didn't we have this a while ago? Or is this just a common theme?
Old 20 March 2007, 12:17 AM
o4o3o4

Shifty Eyes

My boyfriend mircowaves eggs.
Old 20 March 2007, 11:32 PM

What a load of bull. Not a single credible source in a peer-reviewed journal; not even an understanding of what is going on. I would really like if someone could explain a horrific difference between "pulsing direct current" and "alternating current", since alternating, pretty much, stands for "pulsing", and "current" - for "direct current".

The only true part about the article is where it quotes that microwaving fluids doesn't produce uniformely equal temperature and may lead to all kind of side effects, so microwaving liquids for the sake of reaching uniform temperature should be executed with caution. The rest is just mumbo-jumbo about molecules "changing" under microwave radiation (anyone who ever fried or boiled an egg can testify that the molecules in yolk also slightly change) and, the worst part, the whole body "electrochemistry". The latter just quotes a bunch of tin-foil books, quack journals, a study with eight (!!!) test subject and some mysterious Russian experiments. OK, if you claim those experiments exist, why not tell us who told you about them? I can check, you know...
Old 20 March 2007, 11:44 PM

Borg

Quote:
Originally Posted by o4o3o4 View Post
My boyfriend mircowaves eggs.
So do I. No burnt eggs while I multitask.
Old 21 March 2007, 09:56 AM
PrometheusX303

Quote:
Microwaving prepared meats sufficiently to insure sanitary ingestion caused formation of d-Nitrosodienthanolamines, a well-known carcinogen.
Has anybody ever heard of this carcinogen? I haven't, but it must exist, because when I do a search for it, I keep getting the same statement as above.
Old 21 March 2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebbenth View Post
What a load of bull. Not a single credible source in a peer-reviewed journal; not even an understanding of what is going on. I would really like if someone could explain a horrific difference between "pulsing direct current" and "alternating current", since alternating, pretty much, stands for "pulsing", and "current" - for "direct current".
Indeed, and the frequency of the AC used to generate them has nothing to do with the properties of the microwave radiation at all. All heating "creates molecular friction" (if that's how you want to describe it) and can "damage" molecules around it.

I like the part where they say this:

Quote:
We've all been told that microwaving food is not the same as irradiating it (radiation "treatment"). The two processes are supposed to use completely different waves of energy and at different intensities.
No, different frequencies. And irradiating food in the sense they mean doesn't make it dangerous either - it can be used to sterilize it and hence preserve it... you can't just drop the word in there to imply that your food becomes radioactive.

This sounds strangely similar to the rantings of a drunken Kenyan chef who accosted me on a train last October. He had a strong accent and so was hard to understand, but microwaves were definitely one of the things that caused all the problems in the world. (The others were mortgages, credit cards, Bush and Blair, and democracy - the last of which was apparently responsible for the staff at Leeds station lying to him about the length of the journey.)
Old 21 March 2007, 10:50 AM

Icon204

One of my neighbors recently replaced her microwave with a mini convection oven, because she said "it's been proven that microwaves destroy all vitamins in food." That's right, according to her sources, studies have shown that there's not a single vitamin left in food after microwaving.

I've been meaning to google that "fact", but I don't have any energy left from eating reheated pizza.

Quote:
10). Eating microwaved food causes loss of memory, concentration, emotional instability, and a decrease of intelligence
I'm sorry... where was I going with this?
Old 21 March 2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm View Post
Quote:
10). Eating microwaved food causes loss of memory, concentration, emotional instability, and a decrease of intelligence
I'm sorry... where was I going with this?
I don't know, but it's... just so upsetting I think I'm going to cry. Did I ever tell you I love you? It makes me so happy!!
Old 21 March 2007, 11:28 AM

What research I've seen seems to agree that eating microwaved food is only dangerous under two circumstances:

1. You are in a hurry and heat it to eating temperature instead of cooking temperature, thus not killing the potentially dangerous microorganisms.

2. You are impatient and can't wait until the food is ready, so you climb into the oven to eat while it is still running. Few people are agile enough for that, so I consider it a minor risk.

Quote:
I would really like if someone could explain a horrific difference between "pulsing direct current" and "alternating current", since alternating, pretty much, stands for "pulsing", and "current" - for "direct current".
If it's pulsing, the current always goes in the same direction, although not all the time or as strongly. If it's alternating, it changes direction. In other words, if it passes zero or not.

On the other hand, it has no importance at all for the this issue.
Old 21 March 2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
What research I've seen seems to agree that eating microwaved food is only dangerous under two circumstances:

1. You are in a hurry and heat it to eating temperature instead of cooking temperature, thus not killing the potentially dangerous microorganisms.

2. You are impatient and can't wait until the food is ready, so you climb into the oven to eat while it is still running. Few people are agile enough for that, so I consider it a minor risk.
It can also heat unevenly and superheat parts of a drink, and potentially burn you.
Old 21 March 2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
It can also heat unevenly and superheat parts of a drink, and potentially burn you.
Doesn't the turntable-thing stop this happening?
Old 21 March 2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Good point. I always leave a spoon in, that usually takes care of that problem.

Quote:
Sometimes, not always.
Old 21 March 2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquin Farquart View Post
If it still works.
Old 21 March 2007, 03:48 PM

There's a third scenario - when my flatmate heats up his baked beans while STILL IN THE CAN and burns the flat down. Hasn't happened yet (obviously) but I do worry...
Old 21 March 2007, 08:49 PM
Vanilla Gorilla

And don't forget the debunked UL about microwaved water versus boiled killing plants.
Boiling Point
Old 21 March 2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm View Post
One of my neighbors recently replaced her microwave with a mini convection oven, because she said "it's been proven that microwaves destroy all vitamins in food." That's right, according to her sources, studies have shown that there's not a single vitamin left in food after microwaving.
Actually, microwaving veggies preserves more of the vitamins than boiling does, because they are exposed to heat for a shorter period of time. Link
Old 26 July 2007, 03:36 AM
Pseudo_Croat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebbenth View Post
and, the worst part, the whole body "electrochemistry".
Pardon me for sounding naive, but does the body even have "electrochemistry" as such? If so, I don't see how any method of cooking and preparing food can affect it in any way.

- Pseudo "the body electric" Croat