Vanishing Uninvited houseguest

Comment: Supposedly a homeless woman was living in his crawl
space and eating his food while he and his live-in girlfriend were
sleeping. You never see the girlfriend on camera, and there's some
suspicious movement in the crawl space while he's setting the
camera up.

Old 10 December 2009, 07:13 PM

Four things that jump right out at me:

- Who has an open crawl space like that?
- Why did she get down with a gallon jug, but leave it behind?
- How could he not smell human urine in the sink?
- When he 'interupted' her, he looked like a guy acting like he was out of bed at night, not like a guy who actually was out of bed at night.
Old 10 December 2009, 07:18 PM

There was that whole series of clips a couple of years ago about somebody supposedly living in another person's house. Those were supposedly filmed by the person doing it, and there was a whole little drama going on that gave away that it was all fiction.

This looks a little too neatly dramatised too, like the guy just happening to come in for a drink, without switching the light on... In fact, why's he apparently setting up the camera in the dark? Why include that part of the clip except for dramatic purposes? Surely you'd do most of that with the camera switched off?
Old 10 December 2009, 07:25 PM

Why was she creeping around on the table like a feral raccoon? She seems pretty well dressed for a "homeless woman." My guess is it's his girlfriend and they've rigged it as the OP suggests.
Old 10 December 2009, 07:26 PM

Why isn't his girlfriend allowed to eat food in the home they share without accusations and covert surveillance?
Old 10 December 2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
Why isn't his girlfriend allowed to eat food in the home they share without accusations and covert surveillance?
That was my question.
Old 10 December 2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Why was she creeping around on the table like a feral raccoon?
She appeared to be going to great pains to be quiet to get up and down, but then she was just casually going through the fridge and pantry, and then even sitting down to watch television.
Old 10 December 2009, 07:31 PM

Tsk, Tsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
When he says, "I'm gonna catch her," is he referring to his girlfriend? Or is he just assuming that there's someone in the house (and used the word "her" because it ended up supposedly being a woman)? It's kind of confusing.
Old 10 December 2009, 07:34 PM

I suppose it could be a point of contention in a relationship if food is always disappearing but no one will own up to it. If you're looking at your bowl of dry cereal and have the "Why didn't you tell me you used up all the milk, I would have picked some up" conversation enough times it gets very trying. I can also see it being a problem if one person has special dietary needs and special food items for that person are being consumed.
Old 10 December 2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
When he says, "I'm gonna catch her," is he referring to his girlfriend?
It sounded pretty clear to me that he was assuming his girlfriend was eating the food but wouldn't admit it when confronted, so he was trying to catch her in a lie.
Old 10 December 2009, 07:44 PM

Also, why would he set the camera up to include the crawlspace in the shot. Surely, if the question was about what was happening to his food, it would have been focused more on the kitchen. As is, we can barely even see the kitchen area.

Also, nice that they included the "homeless woman" drinking straight out of a carton, then had him do the same thing when he woke up. Way to add in the "eww" factor.
Old 10 December 2009, 11:25 PM
winky420

it happened in japan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7426950.stm
Old 11 December 2009, 12:31 AM

I figured that the part about 'confronting' the girlfriend was just poorly worded, and that it was something like:

"I can't find the leftover wings. Did you eat them?"
"No."

And the wings don't turn up. Repeated several times over different foods on different occasions, you're starting to feel like the other person is lying, sneaking the food and lying about it, and the 'lie' would make it a problem even though she was certainly welcome to the wings, pizza, cookies, meatloaf, etc. So I thought he was saying he was gonna catch her, not in eating but in lying about it.

ETA: somewhat spanked
Old 11 December 2009, 05:09 AM

Icon102

I suppose it could be a pet but you can see something moving in the lower right corner at about 1:22.
Old 11 December 2009, 07:42 PM

As far as this video goes, although it apparently (how reliable is the source?) happened in Japan, I would say "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". This is so easy to fake, it really needs to have some kind of proof that it's not.
Old 11 December 2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-Fang View Post
As far as this video goes, although it apparently (how reliable is the source?) happened in Japan, I would say "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". This is so easy to fake, it really needs to have some kind of proof that it's not.
I don't think the video is supposed to be of an event taking place in Japan, winky420 was just pointing out that this type of situation actually did happen in Japan.

ETA: Which doesn't prove the validity of the video.
Old 12 December 2009, 02:47 AM

Yes I know that. What part of my post suggested otherwise? Just because it happened in Japan is no need to accept that this (presumably American) video is true. I never meant that the video is supposedly the same story as the Japan incident.
Old 12 December 2009, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-Fang View Post
Yes I know that. What part of my post suggested otherwise? Just because it happened in Japan is no need to accept that this (presumably American) video is true. I never meant that the video is supposedly the same story as the Japan incident.
The way your post was phrased, it could have been interpreted as "As far as this video goes, although it apparently happened in Japan..." You could read "this video" and "it" to be referring to the same thing. I don't think ToadMagnet meant anything by it other than trying to provide clarification.

About the video: those are some creaky floors. Unless this is a really big apartment, which I doubt given the size of the kitchen, I don't see how he couldn't have heard her walking around, turning on the TV, opening doors, etc. My other question would be how did she get in? I suppose it's possible that it could be an unsecured entry building with doors that don't automatically lock, but if the front door were unlocked I would assume he was home. Did she just open the door and stroll on in? And how did she figure out the crawlspace would be a good hiding spot? It just seems like too many things would have to come together for this to be legit.
Old 14 December 2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
In fact, why's he apparently setting up the camera in the dark?
If he would have had the lights on then we'd have clearly seen the girl (like we didn't anyway ) and she would have clearly seen him,then they'd have to explain why she'd get down knowing she was being filmed.

Given that he set the camera up in the dark I guess we're supposed to assume that she never saw him set it up because it was dark. Huh huh.

The TV watching was way over the top of course. Nice idea but they need a second take- and better attention to detail.
Old 14 December 2009, 11:42 AM

I hadn't even realised that she was supposed to be watching TV until I read people's comments and watched it again. Yes, that's a bit of a giveaway too... the TV was on mute the moment she switched it on, then?