snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Science

Old 10 December 2009, 11:17 AM

Default Frozen soda blows freezer door off

I heard a story today (admittedly a FOAF tale) and am wondering if it's (possibly) true. 2l bottle of Pepsi max, put into a (small) freezer, managed to blow the freezer door off its hinges (or, off one hinge at least) when it exploded. I don't know it the cap blew off, or the bottle split or what. So the questions are; could the bottle generate sufficient force, and wouldn't the door open, instead of break off its hinges?

Compass
Old 10 December 2009, 12:49 PM

Unlikely there would be any 'explosion' due to volume increase as a result of freezing (if that's the purported reason for the explosion, rather than it being New! Pepsi Nitro, or something.) The fizzies wouldn't be released by freezing. Plastic bottles also might be quite stretchable, even if they were brittle from cold.

I found a forgotten bottle of sparkling wine in a freezer once. It'd originally been put there to chill quickly. No explosion, no shower of sparkling ice and flying glass-bombs, just a smattering of shards and an interestingly-shaped lump of greenish ice.

OTOH, if it were not a freezer but some other airtight storage space that was warm, and the drink was a bottle of ginger beer in a glass bottle, kept unwisely so that it started to ferment... look out *then*.
Although whether it would blow the door off, I have no idea nor the physics knowledge to speculate. So I'll sign off before I make an Italian Job joke.
Old 05 February 2010, 05:11 PM

My idiot brother puts sodas in the freezer and forgets them all the time. Plastic bottles the size you've described haven't done any damage; in fact, I've yet to see them explode. Effing soda/beer cans, hell yeah, but not enough to even dent the inside of the freezer. The cans just pop/burst the top of the can after expanding, but don't seem to get separated from the can itself. Let me tell you, slushy soda all over a small freezer and it's contents is a PITA to clean up. I should know. My idiot brother never cleaned up. (grumblemutterswear)
Old 05 February 2010, 09:17 PM

Whalephant

I suppose it's barely possible: if the room-temp soda bottles exactly filled the freezer, from front to back (assuming the door is on the front) so that any expansion from freezing is directed against the door, then, yeah, maybe a hinge, or the latch, might be snapped. Maybe.

Water freezing in cracks in rocks, over winters, outdoors, is responsible for breaking up rocky cliff-faces; there's a fair amount of force generated by the expansion of freezing water.

It'd be a fun experiment to conduct... Easy, too.

Silas
Old 05 February 2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishDaDish View Post
The cans just pop/burst the top of the can after expanding, but don't seem to get separated from the can itself.
Yeah, it's not so much an EXPLOSION!!! as it is a *pop*

Old 05 February 2010, 10:13 PM

I have not have a can of pop break a door in the freezer, but knocked it open. I was renting a place with a older refrigerator. One were the freezer is a little box with its own door inside and at the top of refrigerator. I think freezer was also doing all the cooling in the refrigerator. These door are just made out of some hard plastic and do brake easily when old. Any I has a can in there next to door explode (brake open covering about half the little compartment in frozen soda) and knock the little door open. These thing were also known for filling up with ice. So if someone were to put a can in one of these in a pocket of ice that will not let the can move back into the freezer as it expands and against the door at the hinge. I could see it braking the hinge just from the can expanding.

The winter of 2008/2009 we got some record cold day (-1 deg.). I forgot that I had left a 6 pack of Diet Coke on the floor in the back seat. Then next day there were can tops in the back window and a mess of half frozen Diet Coke all over the back seat.
Old 06 February 2010, 02:17 AM

Oooh, I smell a Mythbusters episode!

I was once told that putting a can or bottle of soda in the freezer would cause "something nasty" to happen. I didn't ask for more details, but it seemed like something I wouldn't want to do anyway, so I never tried it.
Old 07 February 2010, 01:04 AM

I was in a supermarket once, and went to get a plastic bottle of lemonade from the shelf to put in my trolley. Somehow, I dropped the bottle, and on hitting the floor, it exploded, spraying in all directions while it spun around and around.
Old 07 February 2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglRdr View Post
Yeah, it's not so much an EXPLOSION!!! as it is a *pop*

Not always. The can I froze (I put it in the freezer instead of the fridge) was ripped open. It spiraled down to the bottom. The bottom and top were intact though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post

The winter of 2008/2009 we got some record cold day (-1 deg.). I forgot that I had left a 6 pack of Diet Coke on the floor in the back seat. Then next day there were can tops in the back window and a mess of half frozen Diet Coke all over the back seat.
I remember calling my father's office at work and asking his secretary to make sure he took the can of Diet Coke out of the back of the car on some winter day when I forgot it. And we're not talking -1, were talking Canadian winter. He did though, so all was well.
Old 07 February 2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty5nutz View Post
Somehow, I dropped the bottle, and on hitting the floor, it exploded, spraying in all directions while it spun around and around.
Yes, but that was the gas which caused the explosion. When water cools down, it can actually contain more gas. If a bottle bursts by freezing, it will be the expanding ice which caused it, the gas will have little or no effect.
Old 07 February 2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joostik View Post
Yes, but that was the gas which caused the explosion. When water cools down, it can actually contain more gas. If a bottle bursts by freezing, it will be the expanding ice which caused it, the gas will have little or no effect.
When water freezes, the crystals are pure water. This means water when it freezes tries to expel all the gasses it absorbed. This is why there is air trapped in your ice made at home. With soda and other things with lot of stuff mixed with the water. The ice crystal can never get very big and therefore not trap the gasses in them.

If you ever see a can of pop that has froze but not exploded yet. The bottom will have pushed out into a dome and the top may do the same thing. I would guess this is much more that the 10% expansion for ice. Plastic bottles do similar things.

Soda can and bottle have a minimum bursting pressure of 120 psi and is made to at least 160 psi if a remember rightly. A quick google seams to agree. So they can make a bit of a mess when they do rupture from freezing.
Old 07 February 2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latiam View Post
Not always. The can I froze (I put it in the freezer instead of the fridge) was ripped open. It spiraled down to the bottom. The bottom and top were intact though.
Which was still likely a *pop* rather than an EXPLOSION!
Old 08 February 2010, 12:00 AM

D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglRdr View Post
Which was still likely a *pop* rather than an EXPLOSION!
Yeah - I quoted the wrong one there - I meant to quote Trish. Sorry.
Old 08 February 2010, 08:38 AM

No, it will not blow the door open, unless it's done as Silas suggested.

A frozen soda bottle can have some spectacular effects, though. I had partially frozen one (I wanted it to cool quickly and forgot about it). When I opened it, there was a lot of pressure and an ice plug in the bottle neck. I opened it carefully to let the pressure out, then as the ice plug crumbled and no longer held back a lot of pressure, the cap was pushed straight off the threads, and in one might poof (it was more of a poof than a spray), about 2/3 of the contents of the bottle hit my face, including the remains of the ice plug. Still, it didn't hit hard, but I felt rather stupid.
Old 08 February 2010, 10:32 PM

I put soda cans in the freezer when I want something cold in 20 minutes instead of an hour. Sometimes I forget they are there but they have never exploded. I've also never put bottles, only cans.

We have a compartment in the fridge that you can set to be colder than the rest of the fridge, and I have put soda in there before that have busted wide open. What a mess. I'm not sure why it would have done it in that compartment and not in the freezer, though.
Old 10 February 2010, 01:52 AM

Do you realise we sound like a bunch of 9 year olds, one step away from daring the other to put a bottle in their freezer?

Trish "C'mon! Do it! It'll be awesome, ya puss!" DaDish
Old 11 February 2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishDaDish View Post
Do you realise we sound like a bunch of 9 year olds, one step away from daring the other to put a bottle in their freezer?

Trish "C'mon! Do it! It'll be awesome, ya puss!" DaDish
Triple dog dare ya!
Old 11 February 2010, 08:56 AM

And when you've done that, stick some grapes in the microwave.
Old 11 February 2010, 09:09 AM

Then try being rather careless when opening a bottle of sparkling wine and realise you've made an horrendous procedural error when the cork flies out, hits you on the chin and continues upwards still with enough energy to put a small dent in the plasterboard ceiling.

I was the only one around the dinner table that day not laughing.
Old 11 February 2010, 10:19 AM

Whalephant

There's a secret to opening those sorts of bottles. It is: Get someone else to do it.