snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 16 March 2007, 08:04 AM

Fright Diver and Giant Jellyfish

Comment: I recently found this picture of a diver and a giant jellyfish. This jelly fish looks way to big to be real. Was wondering if it might make a good article for your website as the picture looks pretty genuine.

Old 16 March 2007, 08:19 AM

Wow... do people really lack the ability to think critically as soon as they see a photo?

Of course this is false... unfortunately I can't access Worth100 but I bet if you did a search you'd find this image somewhere there.

At any rate, the largest known jellyfish is the Lion's Mane jellyfish. With a diameter of 2.3 metres, it makes it much smaller than the supposed one in the photo.

Also, taking a close look at the diver, you can see he's clearly been added in... take a look at that light blue aura he appears to have. Not to mention the lighting is all wrong and the fact that he's supposedly closer to the camera than the jellyfish and yet he has substantially less detail.
Old 16 March 2007, 08:48 AM
PrometheusX303

Giant jellyfish do exist, but their known maximum size is much smaller than represented in the photo.

Here are two articles (1, 2) with pictures. They do resemble the jellyfish in the submitted photo, except much smaller.

A Google image search for "giant jellyfish" turns up two versions: This one and one without the diver. This page tries to determine if it is real, but has not confirmed anything yet. However, it does look like the diver was photoshopped out of one of them.

ETA: Of course, removing even an added object would leave signs, wouldn't it?

Last edited by PrometheusX303; 16 March 2007 at 08:51 AM. Reason: I felt like it
Old 16 March 2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrometheusX303 View Post
ETA: Of course, removing even an added object would leave signs, wouldn't it?
Unless they were fantastically good, yes. It wouldn't make much sense though... assuming you had the original photo/image, why would you bother trying to remove something that a person added?
Old 17 March 2007, 07:46 AM

Quote:
At any rate, the largest known jellyfish is the Lion's Mane jellyfish. With a diameter of 2.3 metres
I saw a documentary about the marine life off the western coast of North America a few years ago. In it, they encountered a bunch of huge jellyfish that had been swept up by the current from deeper waters and were previously unknown. The "hat" was some 6 meters diameter, with the dangly threads (which was not so much threads as something that looked like thick, meaty jello kelp) 10 meters long. I remember it vividly, as that scene made me decide to never swim far from shore in the ocean...

Given the strange creatures that exist in the ocean, I'd say that fake or not, the image is not unreasonable.
Old 17 March 2007, 05:54 PM
Barns & No Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
The "hat" was some 6 meters diameter...
That part is called the bell; and I seriously doubt that this given size is correct.
Old 18 March 2007, 02:20 PM
PrometheusX303

Quote:
I saw a documentary about the marine life off the western coast of North America a few years ago. In it, they encountered a bunch of huge jellyfish that had been swept up by the current from deeper waters and were previously unknown. The "hat" was some 6 meters diameter, with the dangly threads (which was not so much threads as something that looked like thick, meaty jello kelp) 10 meters long. I remember it vividly, as that scene made me decide to never swim far from shore in the ocean...

Given the strange creatures that exist in the ocean, I'd say that fake or not, the image is not unreasonable.
Jellyfish fact: The worlds largest known jellyfish can reach a diameter of 2.5 m/ 8ft and their tentacles can grow to be half the length of a football field.

I found a discussion on the pic here.

I find it hard to believe the diver would get that close.
Old 18 March 2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
That part is called the bell; and I seriously doubt that this given size is correct.
Well, I only have their word for it, but they looked gargantuan, clearly much larger than the divers. If I had seen one like that when swimming, I'd be the first human who could run on water.
Old 18 March 2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Well, I only have their word for it, but they looked gargantuan, clearly much larger than the divers. If I had seen one like that when swimming, I'd be the first human who could run on water.
Like this?
Old 18 March 2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrometheusX303 View Post
I find it hard to believe the diver would get that close.
That was one of the first things I noticed. Even if there were jellyfish that size, what diver would be dumb enough to swim so close to the tentacle end?
Old 19 March 2007, 01:09 PM

D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Quigley View Post
That was one of the first things I noticed. Even if there were jellyfish that size, what diver would be dumb enough to swim so close to the tentacle end?
The same kind that feed moray eels hot dogs?

James Powell
Old 20 July 2007, 05:18 AM

Yow!

The image accompanying this article looks kind of similar:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/17/science/17obse3.html

Old 20 July 2007, 05:41 AM

All I know is that once when I was a teenager, I crossed paths with a jellyfish that was about 3 feet across while surfing (me surfing, not the jellyfish!). You ain't never seen such furious paddling in all your life!!
Old 20 July 2007, 05:53 AM

Although both (especially the second) pictures look kinda fake, they could be real if it were just an issue of perspective. At least in the first one, it kinda looks like the diver is a good distance behind the jellyfish, and so obviously would look smaller by comparison in a 2D image.
Old 20 July 2007, 05:56 AM

This last one could be real. Like Jahungo, it's a matter of perspective.

Morrigan
Old 20 July 2007, 06:22 AM

Vanishing

This is a rare species of miniature scuba diver. Usually, divers grow up to two meters in length (when their upper limbs are not extended) but the miniature scuba diver (navis vegrandis) rarely exceeds 12 centimeters.
Old 20 July 2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:

Maybe you mean it was six feet in diameter, not meters. Six feet is very big, but definitely within the realm of possibility.

If someone had found a jellyfish that was 6 meters in diameter, someone would have mentioned it. Other people aside from you would be bringing it up as a possibility for how the photo could be real rather than the answer being a unanimous 'fake'.
Old 20 July 2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahungo View Post
At least in the first one, it kinda looks like the diver is a good distance behind the jellyfish, and so obviously would look smaller by comparison in a 2D image.

The only issue with that is that the equipment he appears to be holding is blocking view of some of the tentacles so if he is in the same photo he would have to be in front of the jf.

I agree that the second photo is definately a perspective issue, the first one 'Shop.
Old 21 July 2007, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Maybe you mean it was six feet in diameter, not meters.
Nope, they said meters. Of course, it might have been a (very) bad translator, as it was narrated by a Swedish narrator, but those things were huge. That documentary still makes me nervous about swimming in deep water...
Old 21 July 2007, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Nope, they said meters. Of course, it might have been a (very) bad translator, as it was narrated by a Swedish narrator, but those things were huge. That documentary still makes me nervous about swimming in deep water...
Had to have been a mistranslation. Biggest jellyfish in the world
Quote:
The largest jellyfish has a bell that can reach 2.4 metres across and tentacles that extend over half the length of a football field. I bet you wouldn't like to come across that while swimming!