snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Legal Affairs

Old 28 September 2009, 06:57 AM

Judge BAR exam

Comment: Does BAR in BAR exam (exam taken by lawyers) really stand for
British Accreditation Regency?
Old 28 September 2009, 07:07 AM

This appears to be something created by the tax protester/sovereign citizen/conspiracy theorist set:

http://usa-the-republic.com/revenue/...ory/Chap9.html

Quote:
The courts today are private corporate courts run by the BAR (British Accreditation Regency) Association. Think about this a minute.
http://www.the7thfire.com/Politics%2...f_commerce.htm

Quote:
Attorneys are members of the BAR. The American Bar Association is a branch of the Bar Council, sole bar association in England. All laws, today in America, are copyrighted property of a British company, all state Codes are private, commercial, British-owned "law". All attorneys follow instruction from England, Attorneys twist and turn over their clients in synch with the private law of the bankruptcy. That is their job. That is their pledge to those whom they owe allegiance.
ETA: This page says the same thing I'm thinking:

Quote:
Those who advocate this "BAR" argument are using lies to sell garbage legal arguments like names in CAPS, missing 13th Amendment, redemption, etc. If you buy into their position, expect to be sold some trashy legal argument without substance ("make yourself an alien").
ETA2:

http://spktruth2power.wordpress.com/...r-association/
http://www.hiddenmysteries.org/thema...h/burien.shtml
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...et.html?cat=17
http://www.examiner.com/x-14129-Gran...-to-know-Pt-II

All of these have been from the first two pages of a Google search.

Last edited by lord_feldon; 28 September 2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old 28 September 2009, 11:59 AM

Hmmm, I'd wager this is somehow linked to the Vatican, the Federal Reserve, the gold standard and the Knights of Saint John ( who so far have been cruelly overlooked in the whole nutto conspiracy theory field ). It's obvious that a non-existent company in the UK "owns" the American legal system!
Old 28 September 2009, 12:29 PM

Judge

Of course the reasonable explanation that it refers to the (real or virtual) bar that separates the part of the courtroom where the lawyers sit from the public seats is just a product of the conspiracy.
Old 28 September 2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htonl View Post
Of course the reasonable explanation that it refers to the (real or virtual) bar that separates the part of the courtroom where the lawyers sit from the public seats is just a product of the conspiracy.
Oh noes! They've gotten to htonl too! Is no one safe? Arrrrghh!

* runs away, screaming and waving his arms *
Old 28 September 2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
Hmmm, I'd wager this is somehow linked to the Vatican, the Federal Reserve, the gold standard and the Knights of Saint John ( who so far have been cruelly overlooked in the whole nutto conspiracy theory field ).
Hmm....I know a lawyer who is also....A JEW! Yep, that is right, pure proof of the vast conspiracy if the Jews are involved.
Old 30 September 2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
All attorneys follow instruction from England
Mine must be getting lost in the mail . . . .

Lawyer joke: "He passed the bar in 1988, and that's the last bar he ever passed without going in."
Old 30 September 2009, 08:07 PM

United Kingdom

But wait... Dr. Orly Taitz, Esq., is a lawyer. So she must be following instructions from England too. So the whole "birther" thing is actually an English conspiracy to destablize the US... yes, I think we can create a good conspiracy theory here.
Old 01 October 2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
But wait... Dr. Orly Taitz, Esq., is a lawyer. So she must be following instructions from England too.
No, the "following instructions from England" part is void if you are a dentist at the same time. The English don't like dentists.

Don "all estate agents follow instructions from Kenya" Enrico
Old 01 October 2009, 06:31 AM

wiki got good infos:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_(law)
Quote:
The bar is a railing or barrier that separates the front part of a courtroom - which includes a judge's bench and tables where attorneys or barristers conduct matters before the court - from rear portion of the courtroom, where observers are permitted to sit.[1] Although many courtrooms do not have an actual railing or physical partition that serves as a bar, most courtrooms have an imaginary barrier that separates the judges and attorneys doing the business of the court from the laypersons watching the court in session.[2]
Quote:
The bar represents a division of labor that separates professionally licensed or certified lawyers from those without that professional status. "The bar" therefore is a metonymy that collectively describes all lawyers licensed or certified to practice law in a given court or jurisdiction.[1] The term is also used to differentiate lawyers who represent clients ("the bar"), from judges or members of a judiciary ("the bench"), although the phrase "bench and bar" denotes all judges and lawyers collectively.[2] In the United States a lawyer is "admitted to the bar" after meeting the regulatory requirements in a certain jurisdiction for licensure to practice law. In the United Kingdom, a barrister or Queen's Counsel (or advocate in Scotland) is "called to the bar" if admitted to one of the Inns of Court (or Faculty of Advocates in Scotland).[2] A lawyer whose license to practice law is lifted as a sanction for wrongdoing is said to be "disbarred."
Old 03 October 2009, 01:17 AM

Neener, Neener

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Hmm....I know a lawyer who is also....A JEW! Yep, that is right, pure proof of the vast conspiracy if the Jews are involved.
Humph, my boss is an attorney, a Jew, and, I believe, a Mason!11!!!!!

Dawn--no conspiracy theory is complete without the Masons--Storm
Old 03 October 2009, 04:23 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Humph, my boss is an attorney, a Jew, and, I believe, a Mason!11!!!!!

Dawn--no conspiracy theory is complete without the Masons--Storm
I know a guy who is a Grand Master at a local Masonic lodge. Sometimes, at their informal meetings (parties!) they sing the song from the Simpsons!

"Who controls the British crown?
Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps?
Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car?
Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight?
Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do! We do!"

They're ever so proud of it!

Silas
Old 05 October 2009, 12:59 AM

Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: Does BAR in BAR exam (exam taken by lawyers) really stand for
British Accreditation Regency?

I swear there is a group of people who come up with things like this! Here's the origin of the S word! Here's where the word golf came from! Don't use the word picnic! And so on. Wonder what their fertile imaginations will come up with next?
Old 05 October 2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
I swear there is a group of people who come up with things like this! Here's the origin of the S word! Here's where the word golf came from! Don't use the word picnic! And so on. Wonder what their fertile imaginations will come up with next?
I can't believe you used the word "fertile"! That's so racist! Everyone knows it was a bit of slaver slang from the 18th Century! It's a contraction of the term "For Titillating European Landowners" and refers to attractive female slaves of child bearing age who the traders thought would sell to whites who would want to have sex with them and produce children. They used to write it on their chains, and it got shortened to "For T.E.L" and then got corrupted to "fertile". Racist.
Old 05 October 2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
But wait... Dr. Orly Taitz, Esq., is a lawyer. So she must be following instructions from England too. So the whole "birther" thing is actually an English conspiracy to destablize the US... yes, I think we can create a good conspiracy theory here.
If I remember correctly the word esquire is a man's title, so how could a woman be called Esq (a friend of mine once got a letter addressed Name, Esq and as he didn't know what it meant he checked it up and got this explanation "A polite way to address a gentleman or someone who thinks he is") and why on Earth has it in USA been assumed as some sort of honorary title specifically for lawyers?
Old 05 October 2009, 08:50 PM

Icon202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
I can't believe you used the word "fertile"! That's so racist! Everyone knows it was a bit of slaver slang from the 18th Century! It's a contraction of the term "For Titillating European Landowners" and refers to attractive female slaves of child bearing age who the traders thought would sell to whites who would want to have sex with them and produce children. They used to write it on their chains, and it got shortened to "For T.E.L" and then got corrupted to "fertile". Racist.

That e-mail must have been blocked by my spam filter.
Old 05 October 2009, 09:03 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
If I remember correctly the word esquire is a man's title. . .
Tricky; it doesn't seem to have a female counterpart, such as "Duke/Duchess" and so it might not be formally a "male" title. It is associated with males, because it is also associated with medieval/ renaissance/ pre-20th-century ownership of land.

(In roughly the same way, "voter" in the U.S. isn't specifically a man's title, but for much of U.S. history, only men voted, so only men would be called "voters.")

Quote:
. . . this explanation "A polite way to address a gentleman or someone who thinks he is" . . .
Grin! I like that!

Quote:
. . . and why on Earth has it in USA been assumed as some sort of honorary title specifically for lawyers?
I'd love to know more of the history of this. Who started it? Why did it catch on? Was it a Hamiltonian/ Federalist attempt to create a system of social caste? Or was it just some hifalutin jasper putting on airs (like Chief Justice Rehnquist and the golden stripes he decided to sew onto his robes?)

Anyway, I know a woman lawyer who was an "esq." until she became a judge, at which point she let the appellation lapse. Apparently, it isn't traditional for judges.

Silas (I am the Venga Avest of Corbo -- until anyone can prove otherwise!)
Old 05 October 2009, 10:54 PM

Technically Esquire shown only be used as a title for people possessing a batchelor degree (BA BSc etc); although it it commonly used when you do not know a persons status (and can even be gender neutral). You should not use it yourself (even if you do have a degree it is preferably to specify the degree (at least whether it is Art, Science etc). As she claims a doctorate she should not use Esquire, but should specify the area of the Doctorate (especially if it's LLD in this case)

Historically Esquire comes from a Knight's apprentice (Squire) who was often the son of another noble, and expecting eventually to become a knight himself.
Old 05 October 2009, 11:25 PM

Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
As she claims a doctorate she should not use Esquire, but should specify the area of the Doctorate (especially if it's LLD in this case)
In this case it's actually DDS - that's the thing: she claims to be a lawyer, a dentist, and an estate agent. See the "birther" thread.
Old 13 January 2010, 08:20 PM

Default The ultimate BS detector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
If I remember correctly the word esquire is a man's title, so how could a woman be called Esq (a friend of mine once got a letter addressed Name, Esq and as he didn't know what it meant he checked it up and got this explanation "A polite way to address a gentleman or someone who thinks he is") and why on Earth has it in USA been assumed as some sort of honorary title specifically for lawyers?
I detest being called "Esq." although I get a lot of junk mail addressed that way. I mean, any idiot can pass the bar. I'm certainly living proof of that.

It's not like we can save lives or anything. It's like my PhD Brother calling himself "Doctor".

"This man is bleeding to death! Quick! Someone summon a PhD in Theater History! We'll bore him to death instead!"

When dealing with other lawyers (ugh!) one sure way to detect if you are dealing with an arsehole is to see if they put "Esq." after their name. If they do, there is a 50/50 chance you are dealing with a real piece of work.

If they INSIST on having it after their name, the probability rises to 100%

FWIW.

P.S. I love this incoherent conspiracy theory gibberish. British law has very little in common with US law. In fact, our "Common Law" is based on British law, circa 1776. They've moved on since then. And no, no one can claim copyright on the laws, or in fact, any official government document.

The folks that believe this stuff....they get to vote, too?