snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 21 September 2009, 10:45 PM

Deer Mountain lion with large deer kill

Comment: Look what's lurking out there in Penn's Woods! This photo was taken in Venus, PA in Clarion County. The PA Game Commission swears there are no mountain lions in Pennsylvania (except for the Nittany Lion, of course), but this photo suggests otherwise--unless there's an awfully big house kitty roaming the Pa. woods . . .

Comment: This was a picture sent to me from a close friend captured by his trail camera off of Highway 4 near Montmerenci, South Carolina. I believe it is almost unheard of to see such large cats in our particular area although nothing is impossible. If you could somehow verify the photograph it would be very interesting and greatly appreciated.

Old 21 September 2009, 10:52 PM

Why is it every picture of a mountain lion also has to come with the comment that it's proof the mountain lions exist where they don't really exist?
Old 21 September 2009, 11:18 PM

I vote fake. That isn't a large deer. Er, at least not judging by the deer I used to harvest in the Spokane area.

Seriously though, I'm not sure how you could verify the location of the kill. I some how doubt your friend would lie about it.
Old 21 September 2009, 11:41 PM

The lack of an indigenous population of an animal does not rule out running into one. Mountain Lions have on occasions been encountered in the wild outside the natural habitat because of their popularity in the illegal and exotic pet trade. Many escaped "pets" of this type have been documented.

In fact in 2002 a man was charged with keeping a 7 month old mountain lion in Pennsylvania. http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...?A=11&Q=156971

Now a small, isolated population of mountain lions in Pennsylvania or South Carolina is not completely impossible, just extremely unlikely. Or the more likely explanation that the picture was taken somewhere else.
Old 22 September 2009, 12:51 AM

Deer

Why would someone want to keep a mountain lion as a pet?

I'll agree with Wild Redhead that's not a big deer at all.

And I'll be random and say the deer icon looks like a kangaroo rat.

Sister "liked gentle ben but didn't run out to get a bear afterward" Ray
Old 23 September 2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
The lack of an indigenous population of an animal does not rule out running into one. Mountain Lions have on occasions been encountered in the wild outside the natural habitat because of their popularity in the illegal and exotic pet trade. Many escaped "pets" of this type have been documented.

That's true-- but it is also possible that it could be a wild animal roaming outside of the natural territory. Take the mountain lion killed here in Chicago last year for example. It apparently wandered in from Wisconsin and was determined to not be an escaped pet or zoo animal but rather wild. They thought it may have come from the Black Hills.
Old 23 September 2009, 08:44 PM

Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post

In fact in 2002 a man was charged with keeping a 7 month old mountain lion in Pennsylvania. http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...?A=11&Q=156971

Now a small, isolated population of mountain lions in Pennsylvania or South Carolina is not completely impossible, just extremely unlikely. Or the more likely explanation that the picture was taken somewhere else.
Yeah it's just that everyone seems hellbent on proving park services wrong. They are just aching for that one photo to give them validation so they can shove it in the park services' face. I just don't understand why. Isn't it enough to say, "Here's some cool pictures of a rare mountain lion." and leave it at that?

And if you believed 1/10th of the stories I heard when I was still living in the backwoods of SC, you would think mountain lions were about to overrun the whole Eastern United States. I guess I'm just burnt out on hearing FOAF stories about them, true or not.
Old 01 May 2012, 03:26 AM
Riverbc

bumping an old thread, with the truth.
http://www2.mcdowellnews.com/news/20...-lion-ar-4139/
http://www.buckmanager.com/2009/05/2...his-whitetail/