snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Horrors

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21 September 2009, 03:48 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 108,334
Icon22 The most creepy stuff on the web

They're among the creepiest videos and photos online, with some bordering on the sheer terrifying. Some may find this content disturbing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...n-the-web.html
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 22 September 2009, 10:31 AM
KingDavid8 KingDavid8 is offline
 
Join Date: 19 February 2000
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 4,122
Default

This is probably the creepiest thing I've seen on the web in a long time...a commercial for Baby Laugh-A-Lot!

David
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 22 September 2009, 10:53 AM
Jay Tea Jay Tea is offline
 
 
Join Date: 09 October 2002
Location: gg gg
Posts: 13,909
Ponder

Heh - I'd forgotten about 'The Judderman', which is hardly surprising, seeing how quickly the drink was forgotten. Delightful bit of advertising though.

Talking of which, here's some creepy advertising from back in the day. brrr.

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 22 September 2009, 11:18 AM
llewtrah's Avatar
llewtrah llewtrah is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2001
Location: Chelmsford, UK
Posts: 16,364
Default

How come they included Judderman and missed the "dogbreath" chewing gum advert (dog appears to climb out of person's mouth)? It was banned from early evenings due to parents complaining their kids were scared (these probably being the same kids who played gore-spattered PC games).

Maybe someone can find it as a clip (all vids blocked here).

Last edited by snopes; 22 September 2009 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Removed pointless reproduction of entire OP
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 22 September 2009, 11:23 AM
Mr. Furious's Avatar
Mr. Furious Mr. Furious is offline
 
Join Date: 13 January 2001
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 12,141
Default

Came for "The Hands Resist Him," didn't leave disappointed.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22 September 2009, 11:33 AM
llewtrah's Avatar
llewtrah llewtrah is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2001
Location: Chelmsford, UK
Posts: 16,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
Came for "The Hands Resist Him," didn't leave disappointed.
But no Crying Boy

(the crying boy myth)

And photos at http://www.quasimondo.com/bragolincryingboy.php
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22 September 2009, 01:10 PM
RCIAG's Avatar
RCIAG RCIAG is offline
 
Join Date: 29 May 2009
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 1,389
Default

I find "The Hands Resist Him" is way more creepy than any of the others.

Oh the dolls are creepy too, don't even get me started on clowns or ventriloquist dummies, but there's something very unsettling about that painting.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22 September 2009, 01:26 PM
ElectricBarbarella's Avatar
ElectricBarbarella ElectricBarbarella is offline
 
Join Date: 10 October 2001
Location: Ruskin, FL
Posts: 7,337
Default

Maybe this is as good a thread as any to beg, plead, cry, on my knees whimpering, beg, and did I mention really beg, of anyone, anyone at all, to please, please, please, with Halloween fastly approaching, take into consideration those of us who are whimps and:

Accurately label any links as "screamer" or "something jumps out at you" or "painting, but creepy ala 'the hands that resist' or some other such painting" or any other label that would accurately reflect what's on the link?

Pretty please, from the bottom of my very whimpy heart?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 22 September 2009, 01:30 PM
candy from strangers candy from strangers is offline
 
Join Date: 16 November 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricBarbarella View Post
Maybe this is as good a thread as any to beg, plead, cry, on my knees whimpering, beg, and did I mention really beg, of anyone, anyone at all, to please, please, please, with Halloween fastly approaching, take into consideration those of us who are whimps and:

Accurately label any links as "screamer" or "something jumps out at you" or "painting, but creepy ala 'the hands that resist' or some other such painting" or any other label that would accurately reflect what's on the link?

Pretty please, from the bottom of my very whimpy heart?
Are you talking about this thread, or just in general for the immediate future? Because "The most creepy stuff on the web" seems like a pretty good indicator that stuff will be creepy.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 22 September 2009, 02:13 PM
ElectricBarbarella's Avatar
ElectricBarbarella ElectricBarbarella is offline
 
Join Date: 10 October 2001
Location: Ruskin, FL
Posts: 7,337
Default

Just in general, in the future. I actually went to sleep last night thinking I needed to post this in light of the costume thread already cropping up, but then I thought "nah, it's too early to beg and plead", then this thread shows up, so I figured it was as good a time as any time beg and plead.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 22 September 2009, 02:26 PM
candy from strangers candy from strangers is offline
 
Join Date: 16 November 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricBarbarella View Post
Just in general, in the future. I actually went to sleep last night thinking I needed to post this in light of the costume thread already cropping up, but then I thought "nah, it's too early to beg and plead", then this thread shows up, so I figured it was as good a time as any time beg and plead.
Gotcha. Have you thought about adding a little note to your sigline? More people would see that, just in case not all the screamer-lovers see this thread.

I also hate screamers, even though I love scary things. I like to be scared, I just need to be prepared first!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 22 September 2009, 02:34 PM
ElectricBarbarella's Avatar
ElectricBarbarella ElectricBarbarella is offline
 
Join Date: 10 October 2001
Location: Ruskin, FL
Posts: 7,337
Default

I suppose I could edit to reflect my whimpiness.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 22 September 2009, 03:30 PM
llewtrah's Avatar
llewtrah llewtrah is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2001
Location: Chelmsford, UK
Posts: 16,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricBarbarella View Post
I suppose I could edit to reflect my whimpiness.
You could try not clicking on any links unless they are to news sites? It will make for a jump-free, though somewhat boring, life over the Hallowe'en period. You'll also need to use "properties" to check links really do lead to the safe sites the claim to go to. OTOH, you can probably avoid being rickrolled as well

Grief, since when did Hallowe'en even become a period? All Hallows Eve is just one night!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 22 September 2009, 03:34 PM
Artemis's Avatar
Artemis Artemis is offline
 
Join Date: 08 October 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 6,892
Default

Were there any screamers in that link?

Anyway, that stuff didn't seem all that creepy. Now, creepypasta, that's my favorite.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 22 September 2009, 03:43 PM
ElectricBarbarella's Avatar
ElectricBarbarella ElectricBarbarella is offline
 
Join Date: 10 October 2001
Location: Ruskin, FL
Posts: 7,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
You could try not clicking on any links unless they are to news sites? It will make for a jump-free, though somewhat boring, life over the Hallowe'en period. You'll also need to use "properties" to check links really do lead to the safe sites the claim to go to. OTOH, you can probably avoid being rickrolled as well

Grief, since when did Hallowe'en even become a period? All Hallows Eve is just one night!

I suppose this would apply to the many snopesters who have requested the puke icon be done away with or that there is no discussion of said body function in threads because it skeeves them out--they can just not click on the thread.

Or how about those that post body pictures stop posting "gross content" or "NFBSK" in the title. We can just "not click" it's such an easy thing to do.

Or that I am not the only snopester who has requested fair warning with the link. This is not a new request at all and is requested every year since screamers became popular. Many of us simply requested that the person put some kind of warning in the post that would indicate it was a screamer, rather than us just randomly clicking on "hey, this is a neat video" links (that were, in the past, posted just like that and ended up being screamers).

The point is, those warnings were asked of snopesters by other snopesters. It's nice to be warned that something is gross, not safe for work, etc...so why is my request any different or deserving of scorn or snark?

And, no, this particular thread did not have any screamers. As I said above, I thought about making a separate post last night, did not because I figured it was too soon, and then woke up to find this post and thought "why not?".

So sure, not clicking is an option, but rather rude of you to say those like me should do it if we don't know we shouldn't (that is, we don't know why we shouldn't click if the thread title does not indicate any reason not to). Especially when other similar requests have been made.


Oh and for the record, yes there is one thing in the article I did not view: the grudge girl in the mirror. And I did not view that because the author clearly explained what we would see so I knew exactly what I would view and that I did not want to view it. What he did was no different than my request of putting something simple in the title or body--screamer alert!--or something like that. Don't have to give anything away, "screamer alert" says just enough.

Last edited by ElectricBarbarella; 22 September 2009 at 03:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 22 September 2009, 03:52 PM
candy from strangers candy from strangers is offline
 
Join Date: 16 November 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,258
Default

EB, FWIW I didn't see snark or scorn in llewtrah's post. I think she was trying to be helpful.

ETA: Even if she wasn't, that post really doesn't seem rude.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 22 September 2009, 03:52 PM
mags's Avatar
mags mags is offline
 
Join Date: 23 February 2006
Location: Springboro, OH
Posts: 5,072
Tsk, Tsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricBarbarella View Post
The point is, those warnings were asked of snopesters by other snopesters. It's nice to be warned that something is gross, not safe for work, etc...so why is my request any different or deserving of scorn or snark?

And, no, this particular thread did not have any screamers. As I said above, I thought about making a separate post last night, did not because I figured it was too soon, and then woke up to find this post and thought "why not?".
Second point first, I disagree, number 5 "Creepy Grudge Girl" is pretty much a screamer.

As to the first point, I do think there would have been much less snark if you did make a new thread. Posting a request to label posts in a post that is already adequately labeled made it sound like calling the thread "creepy stuff" and mentioning the things contained are "bordering on the sheer terrifying" and that "Some may find this content disturbing" was not fair warning for those who are not able to stand such imagery. I assume you agree that it was fair warning, but it doesn't necessarily seem that way when it is brought up here specifically. If you don't think all that was fair warning, I think it would be best to avoid clicking any links whatsoever.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 22 September 2009, 03:58 PM
ElectricBarbarella's Avatar
ElectricBarbarella ElectricBarbarella is offline
 
Join Date: 10 October 2001
Location: Ruskin, FL
Posts: 7,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
Second point first, I disagree, number 5 "Creepy Grudge Girl" is pretty much a screamer.

As to the first point, I do think there would have been much less snark if you did make a new thread. Posting a request to label posts in a post that is already adequately labeled made it sound like calling the thread "creepy stuff" and mentioning the things contained are "bordering on the sheer terrifying" and that "Some may find this content disturbing" was not fair warning for those who are not able to stand such imagery. I assume you agree that it was fair warning, but it doesn't necessarily seem that way when it is brought up here specifically. If you don't think all that was fair warning, I think it would be best to avoid clicking any links whatsoever.
First point first () see, I did not view the creepy grudge girl, my DD did and she laughed and scorned me for not looking. She had my headphones on and since I am hard of hearing, if it screamed, I didn't hear it (the phones are up uber loud). So I didn't think it a screamer. Sorry bout that.

Second point, again, I only posted here because I waffled back and forth thinking starting a new thread this early wouldn't be well accepted--I figured this was the lesser of the two evils and would provide a good jump off point for why I was posting it here. I never thought it would cause a problem because people use threads as jump off points all the time (it's how we got the "bad body function" smilie removed, IIRC.

And I did state in my original post that I was using this thread specifically as a jump off point just to state a request, since the thread was about creepy stuff, why wouldn't this request fit in the thread? (and yes, I clarified that after you asked, but I wasn't saying the link itself was what caused me to post, only that my post was in general).
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 22 September 2009, 04:42 PM
llewtrah's Avatar
llewtrah llewtrah is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2001
Location: Chelmsford, UK
Posts: 16,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy from strangers View Post
EB, FWIW I didn't see snark or scorn in llewtrah's post. I think she was trying to be helpful.

ETA: Even if she wasn't, that post really doesn't seem rude.
Absolutely no snark or scorn intended. In fact it's the same advice we get at work.

I was just trying to point out a way to avoid clicking on "unsafe" (as our company would term them) sites, though I added the rickrolling to be humourous rather than just reciting the rather dull, dry advice dispensed to us. At work we're told not to click unless we're certain we trust the destination and if unsure (because the link is named something innocuous) we should right click and check it really does lead to "useful news item" and not to "horror/porn that will land us in HR explaining why we tried to visit a horror/porn site".

Anything I'm not sure of, I don't click (at work anyway) because what may seem SFW to one person might lead to a prohibited site for me.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 22 September 2009, 04:50 PM
ElectricBarbarella's Avatar
ElectricBarbarella ElectricBarbarella is offline
 
Join Date: 10 October 2001
Location: Ruskin, FL
Posts: 7,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
Absolutely no snark or scorn intended. In fact it's the same advice we get at work.

I was just trying to point out a way to avoid clicking on "unsafe" (as our company would term them) sites, though I added the rickrolling to be humourous rather than just reciting the rather dull, dry advice dispensed to us. At work we're told not to click unless we're certain we trust the destination and if unsure (because the link is named something innocuous) we should right click and check it really does lead to "useful news item" and not to "horror/porn that will land us in HR explaining why we tried to visit a horror/porn site".

Anything I'm not sure of, I don't click (at work anyway) because what may seem SFW to one person might lead to a prohibited site for me.
But here is why I took your post the way I did: those like me DO that already. We've been scorned by people renaming links or making it look like it is going to something friendly as opposed to screaming.

Case in point: The screamer that I believe started it all was the Malaysian Ghost screamer. It was a picture of a dirty nasty room and then out pops our "friendly ghost" with a nice loud scream.

Except the link neither stated this nor did the title of the thread. The title was "A VERY messy room" and the link simply said "http://www.somewebsitename.com/messyroom.swf" and since we've had threads past about true messy rooms and homes, how was I supposed to know this was different?

So your advice really is not nice towards me since I did truly have a reason for stating it. Emitophobes (spelled wrong)on snopes have stated that even the smilie that is portraying that particular body function squicks them out badly enough that it was removed from the site.

Well, screamers make my heart race badly enough that I don't want to be tricked any more. However, I have since learned to be wary of anything carrying that .swf extension, but that still does not mean I can't make a simple request of titling the thread appropriately.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.