snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Old 17 September 2009, 12:46 PM

Default The Girl Who Cries Blood

I saw this on the National Geographic Channel the other day. Fascinating in that it is the only known case of it's kind, according to Dr. George Buchanan, who examined Twinkle. It's so bizarre that the doctor was nearly convinced that somehow Twinkle or her mother was doing this on purpose somehow. But I was a bit disappointed as the program never resolved the issue, as it ended with the intention to make further observations in 24 hour periods to see if they could catch the start of it on cameras or by direct observation. Assumably, they will broadcast a later episode.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/327977...-today_health/
Old 17 September 2009, 01:47 PM

Well, I am not that clued up on specific cases of stigmata, but I recall that several alleged stigmatics produced tears of blood. (Additionally I cannot comment on the truth-or-otherwise of said stigmatics, but it's not an out-there notion if you're into phenomenology.)
So 'only known case of its kind' might mean 'only case Dr. George has heard of'.
Also: Haemolacria- article includes a mention of a recent case from Tennessee.
Old 17 September 2009, 01:54 PM

A follow up interveiw on discovery channels website says that the doctor believes they were purposly doing this.
http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...doctor-q-and-a

It is unclear with me at this point whether Twinkle has Münchausen syndrome (if the bleeding is induced by herself), Münchausen syndrome by proxy (with the mother being responsible) or Münchausen syndrome “in collaboration”, (i.e., Twinkle and her mother working together to induce the bleeding and befuddle her physicians and others hoping to help her).

Read more: http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...#ixzz0RN7ZkqTV
Old 17 September 2009, 02:28 PM

That reminded me of this:

The Girl Who Cried Crystal Tears.
Old 17 September 2009, 02:41 PM

Was it established beyond doubt that a) this was actually blood, b) it was human blood and c) it was the girl's own blood? I only saw the snippet on the website where the doctor came in after the event had started, and there didn't appear to be any further bleeding at that stage.
Old 17 September 2009, 02:47 PM

I think Gould and Pyle may have documented some cases in their 1800s book.
Old 17 September 2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
Was it established beyond doubt that a) this was actually blood, b) it was human blood and c) it was the girl's own blood? I only saw the snippet on the website where the doctor came in after the event had started, and there didn't appear to be any further bleeding at that stage.
Yes, they did test the blood and a, b and c were true, they also tested the mothers blood. The daughter has a rarer type of blood that matched the samples, the moms blood type was different.

To me, it did not look like fresh bleeding blood, it looked like it was watered down or something, it was too thin to me.
Old 17 September 2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabohly View Post
Yes, they did test the blood and a, b and c were true, they also tested the mothers blood. The daughter has a rarer type of blood that matched the samples, the moms blood type was different.

To me, it did not look like fresh bleeding blood, it looked like it was watered down or something, it was too thin to me.
At one point she was shown having blood coming out of the top of her head, though no apparent wound or seepage.

As I recall, the documentary said that according to her mother that in addition to the blood tears, Twinkle was experiencing heavy menstral periods. I was wondering, at the risk of getting gross, that if this indeed is a case of Münchausen syndrome, if she might be getting the blood from there. Mind you, I ask this without sufficient knowledge as to how different menstral blood is to regular blood, and if they would have been able to rule that out. But if she was doing this on purpose, she had to get the blood somewhere and there were no other obvious cuts to her body during the exam.
Old 17 September 2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondi View Post
Mind you, I ask this without sufficient knowledge as to how different menstral blood is to regular blood, and if they would have been able to rule that out
The similarity is really only in appearance, and they definitely would have been able to rule it out if they tested it.
Old 18 September 2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Fascinating in that it is the only known case of it's kind, according to Dr. George Buchanan, who examined Twinkle.
(Bolding mine) I saw something in a newspaper the other day about a boy crying blood and there's even a name for it, haemolacria.
Old 18 September 2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
(Bolding mine) I saw something in a newspaper the other day about a boy crying blood and there's even a name for it, haemolacria.
The cases may be similar. Perhaps it was just unique to Dr, Buchanan. Haemolacria is just a symptom of the a condition, not the cause. It can result a tumor or bacterial conjunctivitis, or some injury in the patients eyes. In Twinkle's case, Dr. Buchanan found none of these causes. The blood just appears outside the eyelid.
Old 18 September 2009, 03:53 PM

I wonder if there's a physiological sort of connection:

[quote}But the most innovative eyes may belong to some North American species of horned lizard, small anteaters equipped with gladiator-like armor, which may be picked on by hungry foxes and coyotes. When cornered, this lizard can squirt blood droplets from a sinus beside its eyes, shooting the blood into the mouth of its attacker. [/quote]

http://animal.discovery.com/converge...lood/eyes.html
Old 18 September 2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
At one point she was shown having blood coming out of the top of her head, though no apparent wound or seepage.

As I recall, the documentary said that according to her mother that in addition to the blood tears, Twinkle was experiencing heavy menstral periods. I was wondering, at the risk of getting gross, that if this indeed is a case of Münchausen syndrome, if she might be getting the blood from there. Mind you, I ask this without sufficient knowledge as to how different menstral blood is to regular blood, and if they would have been able to rule that out. But if she was doing this on purpose, she had to get the blood somewhere and there were no other obvious cuts to her body during the exam.
I wondered if that's where the blood was coming from too.
Old 19 September 2009, 12:19 AM

Icon95

I also think the girl is faking it. It brings her a lot of notariety, especially when people believe there is some religious significance to it.

Barb Rainey
Old 21 September 2009, 01:37 PM

Both she and her mom got REAL HET UP the minute anyone questioned them in any way they didn't like. Real defensive. I don't know, I think if I actually had some bizarre thing that people were questioning me about the truth of all the time, I'd probably react with rolled eyes and strained patience instead of getting huffy, touchy, and walking out.

I was really irritated they just left it at that - I thought maybe it's part of a small miniseries? I got the impression the case wasn't closed yet one way or another so why would they just stop there? Quite abrupt and unsatisfying.
Old 21 September 2009, 02:22 PM

They tested the blood, but the tests were rudimentary. They did demonstrate that the blood type of the cried blood matched Twinkle and didn't match the mother, but there was nothing further (ie genetic testing) to prove conclusively that it came from Twinkle.
Old 21 September 2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbrainey View Post
I also think the girl is faking it. It brings her a lot of notariety, especially when people believe there is some religious significance to it.
I don't get the feeling she's had a lot of influences telling her there is religious significance to it. Christianity is a far minority religion in India, and when they went to a Catholic church to talk to the bishop (? I think) he said that since she isn't christian, and doesn't have that background, that he doesn't believe the suffering of Christ has anything to do with her bleeding.

I definitely think she's doing it, and I can't imagine how having her monitored with cameras for an extended period would add so much money to a film production that included trips to India. I don't think there will be a follow up to the show, because all it is likely to be is either we watched and filmed her for 72 hours straight and nothing happened, or we caught her applying or causing the blood. Not a very exciting special.
Old 27 September 2009, 03:42 PM
Calica

Crash

Are we sure if they are not vampires?

Because one of the vampire myths I have heard was that when they cry they cry blood. That is the only time I have heard that happen. O.o
Old 06 October 2009, 04:32 PM

I had a friend that cried blood sometimes. Something to do with an abnormality involving a vein next to a tear duct. I remember at a sleepover it started happening. Scared the NFBSK out of me.
Old 10 March 2013, 05:48 PM

Here it is 4 years later and the issue still does seem to be resolved. Possibilities:Haemolacria, Type II von Willebrand, Hematidrosis, or Munchhausen's by Proxy. They way it appearing in the film, which I watche last night. The last option seems most likely.