snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 17 September 2009, 01:47 AM

United States Islam on Capitol Hill

http://www.snopes.com/politics/relig...pitolislam.asp
Old 17 September 2009, 02:16 AM

It's not a matter of whether or not some member of Congress will say something bigoted, it's only a matter of which one will go there first.
Old 17 September 2009, 03:09 AM

Canada

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, would make me happier than for the Moslems attending this service in DC to out number the Freepbaggers who showed up on Saturday. The level of apoplexy in Glenn Beck's paranoid rantings would be more pleasurable then really good phone sex.
Old 17 September 2009, 03:38 AM

Baseball

I think that this event will take place is wonderful.

It takes a lot of courage to prepare something like this, and it will bust a lot of stereotypes by having a peaceful, pleasant display of faith and community. And an inclusive community at that.

I hope it is not overshadowed by someone lacking empathy or vision.
Old 25 September 2009, 07:08 PM

Roll eyes Muslims Gather at the Capitol for Prayer Event

Quote:
Organizers had said they hoped 50,000 worshipers would show up for the traditional Muslim afternoon prayer at 1 p.m. But they said many people have been frightened away by the backlash against the event. Some conservative Christian groups and bloggers have been calling it anti-Christian and un-American.
Quote:
One group [of protesters], which stood next to a large wooden cross and two giant wooden tablets depicting the 10 commandments, was led by the Rev. Flip Benham of Concord. N.H.

"I would suggest [you] convert to Christ," Benham shouted over a megaphone that was barely audible from the Muslim gathering. Islam "forces its dogma down your throat."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...092502183.html
Old 25 September 2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
One group [of protesters], which stood next to a large wooden cross and two giant wooden tablets depicting the 10 commandments, was led by the Rev. Flip Benham of Concord. N.H.

"I would suggest [you] convert to Christ," Benham shouted over a megaphone that was barely audible from the Muslim gathering. Islam "forces its dogma down your throat."
Really? REALLY? Someone can say that through a megaphone out on the street and not even detect the irony at all? REALLY?

<-- My head exploding
Old 25 September 2009, 07:22 PM

What have the Ten Commandments got to do with Christianity anyway?
Old 25 September 2009, 07:24 PM

D'oh!

Quote:
Some conservative Christian groups and bloggers have been calling it anti-Christian and un-American.
Really, how foolish do you have to be to think that the Constitution's "freedom of religion" guarantees would apply to the nation's capitol?
Old 25 September 2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Really, how foolish do you have to be to think that the Constitution's "freedom of religion" guarantees would apply to the nation's capitol?
Freedom of religion = my religion is the best and you can't do yours near where people make laws in case they see.
Old 25 September 2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by effo5231 View Post
Really? REALLY? Someone can say that through a megaphone out on the street and not even detect the irony at all? REALLY?
Well, he was merely suggesting that they "convert to Christ". By disrupting their prayer service. With a megaphone. But he wasn't demanding it, so it doesn't count as forcing it down their throat.
Old 25 September 2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Madeline View Post
Well, he was merely suggesting that they "convert to Christ". By disrupting their prayer service. With a megaphone. But he wasn't demanding it, so it doesn't count as forcing it down their throat.
Is there even a word for that much of a disconnect? I would love for someone to invent a word to describe someone who's actions are not only not in keeping with their words, but are in complete and direct opposition. Hypocrite doesn't even come close.
Old 25 September 2009, 07:48 PM

My guess is that if you asked him, he would say that Christianity isn't a dogma, it's the truth.
Old 25 September 2009, 08:20 PM

Throw Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by effo5231 View Post
I would love for someone to invent a word to describe someone who's actions are not only not in keeping with their words, but are in complete and direct opposition.
I think the word you're looking for is "American."
Old 25 September 2009, 08:33 PM

United States Will Americans accept Islam?

According to a new Pew survey of American attitudes toward Islam, a strong majority (58%) of Americans now acknowledge that there is a lot of discrimination against Muslims. Hispanics, blacks and atheists fare better. Only gay men and lesbians are seen as worse off than Muslims, with 64% of Americans saying there is a lot of discrimination against them.

Unfortunately, Americans don't seem either willing or able to do much about this bigotry.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2009/...pt-islam-.html
Old 26 September 2009, 04:17 AM

Mouse

Yeah, how dare those commie Islamofascists exercise their right to peaceably assemble.
Old 02 October 2009, 07:52 AM
SallyMutant

Flip Benham. That says it all. He was a local anti abortion looney in d/fw for years--actually roused rabble to hang around withsigns in front of Dr.'s houses, and follow their kids. Guess he's got a new hobbyhorse now.
Old 08 October 2009, 07:26 AM

I guess this item should be altered to use the past tense.
Old 08 October 2009, 07:43 AM

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I always thought teh USA was land of the free and that many early colonists went there to escape religious persecution in their home countries. To call any religion practised in the USA "anti-American" seems completely at odds with that element of the USA's history.

I realise there's been repression of non-whites in the history - both native and imported as slave labour - and the Islamophobia could be continuation of those prejudices against minorities whose ways are simply "different" (which includes homophobia), but the land of the free seems to value freedom to be bigoted a-holes. Maybe I'm just unually tolerant - I've been a straight supporter at gay pride, a white Celt at a Sikh rally and a non-Muslim at an Eidh party (adilfitri since I was in Malaysia) etc
Old 08 October 2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
According to a new Pew survey of American attitudes toward Islam, a strong majority (58%) of Americans now acknowledge that there is a lot of discrimination against Muslims. Hispanics, blacks and atheists fare better. Only gay men and lesbians are seen as worse off than Muslims, with 64% of Americans saying there is a lot of discrimination against them.

Unfortunately, Americans don't seem either willing or able to do much about this bigotry.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2009/...pt-islam-.html
That's an interesting article. After thinking about the numbers quoted above, I wonder if the increasing acknowledgment of discrimination against Islam isn't a positive thing -- although the word can mean any sort of judgment, it's typically seen as describing as unfairly negative, bigoted treatment. I wonder what the reaction would be to, say, asking if hit-and-run drivers were discriminated against. Though they would be pretty much universally reviled, I have a suspicion that there would not be a 100% "yes" answer to the discrimination question, because that would imply (to many people) that the discrimination was unjustified.

Just as the worst misogynists might scoff at claims of sexism, I'm guessing that the bigger the bigot, the less likely they would be to acknowledge discrimination as a pervasive problem. Of course, the ignorance of Islam quoted (only 41% knew about Allah and the Quran) is sad, but uncomfortably typical of many of those man-on-the-street sort of knowledge surveys.

The article says 58% acknowledge "a lot" of discrimination -- the wording leads me to believe that there was also a "some" option. So a definite majority of the population recognizes the problem. It's a far cry from solving that problem, but I think the shift in seeing it as a problem to begin with is an important one.
Old 08 October 2009, 09:07 AM

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
but the land of the free seems to value freedom to be bigoted a-holes.
You're not actually wrong about anything you said in that post, but I can't help but read your history of anti-USA comments between the lines. As an American who has lived in Europe, I can tell you that your side of the pond is not as different as you would like to believe.