snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 10 September 2009, 10:30 PM

Icon401 Obama and Blagojevich

Comment: Is this legitimate? Did the president really make that claim? Were the pictures falsified to call his character into question?

Only Saw Him Once... huh?

Barack Obama, quote "I only saw Rod Blagojevich one time ... And that was in the stands and from a distance at a Chicago Bears Football Game" unquote.

To understand the next 4 years, you have to understand the world according to Chicago. While it is a city in Illinois, it is also a completely different country, with a whole different set of morals and language.

There are only three rules which anybody can understand. You don't even need an attorney to understand them and if you need an attorney, well, you know too much...so look out for Rule #3!

RULE #1...No matter what you see, hear, or do, you don't know anybody and you don't know nothing!
RULE #2...If you capture something on tape or camera, it doesn't reveal nothing!
RULE #3...If you know what everybody knows in Chicago, well, you still don't know nothing.

Now pay close attention! We don't want to have to say this more than once. It's very simple.....we'll illustrate. Remember, you know nothing. These two? They don't know each other! They said they didn't.

The fellas in the background of this picture? Well, what fellas? We don't see nothing! The guy on the left? For all you know he's Santa Claus. And the guy on the right...well, he's the Easter Bunny! That's all you need to know.

Go to your eye doctor...your eyes are lying to you! Ca'pish?

Remember Jimmy Hoffa! He knew too much and now, well, now no one knows where he is. Is the big picture clear? Not these pictures! Remember, You've already forgot them...

Now, ain't that simple? They don't know each other, 'cause they said so! And neither do we... And don't forget it!

Does this guy have a problem with the 'Truth, or does he believe that the ordinary American is just Stupid?

P.S. If you pass this on to your friends, don't forget, you know nothing and they will know nothing.

Old 10 September 2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
Comment:

*snip*

To understand the next 4 years, you have to understand the world according to Chicago. While it is a city in Illinoi, it is also a completely different country, with a whole different set of morals and language.

*snip*

I get it. It's the whole "Chicago is full of Italian mobsters" stereotype. It's not funny, but I get it.

The only problem is that state legislation (when Obama was a national senator and Blagojevich was governor) takes place in SPRINGFIELD, not Chicago.
Old 10 September 2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by   View Post
Barack Obama, quote "I only saw Rod Blagojevich one time ... And that was in the stands and from a distance at a Chicago Bears Football Game" unquote.
I can't find this quote used anywhere other than copies of this screed.
Old 10 September 2009, 11:04 PM

Icon108

Quote:
Does this guy have a problem with the 'Truth, or does he believe that the ordinary American is just Stupid?
Personally, I believe that some ordinary Americans are extraordinarily Stupid.

Quote:
P.S. If you pass this on to your friends, don't forget, you know nothing and they will know nothing.
Absolutely true.
Old 10 September 2009, 11:06 PM

And who would say "at a Chicago Bears Football Game"? You'd say "at a Bears game", or "at the Bears", or "at Soldiers Field".

And yes, I know there's no "s" in Soldier Field, but there is an "s" at the end of "Illinois".

ETA: 3 rules for Chicago politics and no use of the word "clout"? Amatuers.
Old 10 September 2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Madeline View Post
And yes, I know there's no "s" in Soldier Field, but there is an "s" at the end of "Illinois".
That was my fault. I was trying to clean up the horrid formatting of the email, which had one space before each comma and two spaces after each comma, and inadvertently deleted that "s". I've put it back.
Old 10 September 2009, 11:20 PM

Shifty Eyes

How many left arms does Blagojevich have in the third picture? It looks like an Esher print!
Old 10 September 2009, 11:24 PM

The fourth picture at Saint Louis University is real.

As is the last picture.

I am finding that the pictures are real, but the quote "I only saw Rod Blagojevich one time ... And that was in the stands and from a distance at a Chicago Bears Football Game" may not be as lord feldon stated.

ETA: I found the OP posted on Sept 3 on a blog. Considering the visible coding, it is either a bad post, or a bad copy and paste job.

Last edited by vanilla; 10 September 2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10 September 2009, 11:38 PM

The third picture looks like it was probably taken at the National Governors' Association meeting last year, which Obama attended. (Ohio governor Ted Strickland is in the picture.)

ETA: http://www.cleveland.com/nation/inde...nors_help.html
Old 11 September 2009, 12:01 AM

You know, I just thought of something. Obama was taking pains to distance himself from Blago during the Senate seat debacle. Maybe he said he only saw Blago one time during that process.

Although I don't recall any press about Obama attending a Bears game during that timeframe, and it probably would have gotten a lot of coverage.
Old 11 September 2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Madeline View Post
You know, I just thought of something. Obama was taking pains to distance himself from Blago during the Senate seat debacle. Maybe he said he only saw Blago one time during that process.

Although I don't recall any press about Obama attending a Bears game during that timeframe, and it probably would have gotten a lot of coverage.
I think you are giving the authors of the OP way too much benefit of the doubt.
Old 11 September 2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla View Post
How many left arms does Blagojevich have in the third picture? It looks like an Esher print!
He has exactly one left arm (and BTW it's Escher).
Old 11 September 2009, 09:47 AM

Excuse me (I'm not so aware of the details of a US state's political life), but even if the pics are genuine, what's so strange about the Senator of a state meeting the Governor of the same state once in while?

OK, the Governor turned out to be a crook, but what? I understand it's not the first, nor the last one.
Old 11 September 2009, 04:38 PM

In the third pictures looks like Blagojevich's penis is reaching for a snack
Old 11 September 2009, 05:03 PM

Icon401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
Excuse me (I'm not so aware of the details of a US state's political life), but even if the pics are genuine, what's so strange about the Senator of a state meeting the Governor of the same state once in while?

OK, the Governor turned out to be a crook, but what? I understand it's not the first, nor the last one.
You obviously do not remember the forward in 2004 that said John Kerry being at the same anti-war rally as Jane Fonda meant he was a traitor.

Sister "couldn't find john kerry in the photo until he was pointed out; did see jane fonda however" Ray
Old 11 September 2009, 05:05 PM

Frying Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
He has exactly one left arm
Are you suuuure? My monitor shows two arms coming from his elbow! (Yes, I know that the hand on the table is someone else's, but at first glance, it sure does not look that way!*
Quote:
(and BTW it's Escher).
Would you believe I Googled it and still spelled it wrong?

* (just in case you missed the joke this time around))
Old 11 September 2009, 11:23 PM

I just don't think there's the slightest chance that Obama would ever say this. Blagojevich was the governor for two years while Obama was a state senator. Blagojevich had to sign or veto the laws that Obama and his colleagues passed. Then Obama was a U.S. Senator for four years while Blagojevich was still the governor. They were two of the three most prominent politicians in the state. Of course they were in the same room at the same time! I'm sure it happened all the time. It would be remarkably stupid for Obama to claim otherwise.

But, in a quick trip around the internet, it appears that you don't have to be remarkably stupid to believe it, because thousands of conservatives appear to have bought it hook, line, and sinker.
Old 12 September 2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

There's nothing strange about it- unless said Senator becomes President and then denies having seen the Governor but a single time, which is the potential (I use the term lightly) issue here.
Old 12 September 2009, 12:44 PM

What's up with the last photo? Are they having a staring contest?

David