Icon202 Paul Harvey, Section 8

Comment: I recieved an email that contained the following regarding Paul
Harvey:

---------------------------

While riding in the car one day, Harvey came on the air. Immediately my
father changed the channel. When I asked him why, my father told me that
Harvey was drafted as an enlisted man during World War 2 but decided that
he was really officer material, so he cut fictitious orders making himself
a ranking officer before he reported to his next assignment.

While thousands of other brave Americans were dying for their country,
this loon was living his Fantasy Island delusion. Consequentially he was
discovered and received a Section 8 discharge for mental illness from the
military after serving only 4 months.
Old 06 September 2009, 05:46 PM

Airplane

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ess=364x866632

Quote:
The November 7, 1978, issue of Esquire magazine has an exposť of sorts on Harvey, including how he came to drop his last name of Aurandt: Briefly, he stole an airplane and was discharged from the Army Air Corps on Section 8 charges.
http://www.people.com/people/archive...072778,00.html

Quote:
Why was Harvey given a medical discharge from the Army in World War II just three months after enlisting? He had signed up, Harvey says, under the impression he was to be an Air Corps cadet, and instead was consigned to the infantry. An argument with the brass ensued, and "I was thrown out of the Army. It was an honorable medical discharge ... There was a little training accident ... a minor cut on the obstacle course ..." His critics claim he was given a psychiatric discharge for deliberately wounding himself in the heel. He angrily denies the accusation, but is vague about certain details: "I don't recall seeing anyone I knew who was a psychiatrist ... I cannot tell you the exact wording on my discharge."
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/op...-40507942.html

Quote:
Harvey was almost equally angry at the magazine’s allegation that he had been given a 4-F discharge, which is given to men or women who have been found not qualified for service in the military because of physical, mental or moral standards. Harvey’s article – and documents he showed me – showed that he had enlisted in the Army Air force in 1943, but was discharged within a year because of an injury suffered during training. The U.S. Army confirmed to me that Harvey’s account was accurate.
Old 06 September 2009, 05:54 PM

Ponder

It's kind of interesting that in one 1979 interview Paul Harvey said, "I cannot tell you the exact wording on my discharge," yet in another 1979 interview he provided the interviewer with a copy of his discharge papers. Although possibly he dug up a copy of those papers between the two interviews.
Old 06 September 2009, 06:13 PM

Ambulance

The Esquire article claims that Paul Harvey joined the Army Air Corps on 2 December 1943, and the following month he was admitted to the base hospital after having slashed his heel with a razor blade during a "depressive dream." He also supposedly took a plane out onto an airfield without permission and ended up crashing it into a fence.

Allegedly, Harvey was given a medical discharge (i.e., a "certificate of disability by reason of psychosis") in March 1944 and transferred to a VA hospital for psychiatric care.