snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Food

Old 26 August 2009, 02:22 AM

Icon95 "They" put rat poison in white bread

My roommate told me recently, in all seriousness, that "they put rat poison in white bread, you know," which is why she says she won't eat it. Now, as far as I know, everything that kills rats is also likely to at least make people ill. But she swore this was true.
Old 26 August 2009, 02:30 AM
Ren

Who is "they"? Does she mean the manufacturer? Does she not wonder at why a company that presumably wants repeat customer business would do something that would make their customers sick?

I have to wonder if the origination of this idea is similar to the "margerine is one molecule off being a toxic chemical!!!!!11!" myth - like there may be some kind of chemical compound in bread that shares some similarily with some kind of compound in a poison of some description.
Old 26 August 2009, 03:22 AM

quick check of ingredients:

Enriched Wheat Flour [Flour, Barley Malt, Ferrous Sulfate (Iron), B Vitamins (Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (B1), Riboflavin (B2) Folic Acid)], Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup or Sugar, Yeast. Contains 2% or Less Of: Calcium Sulfate (Ingredients In Excess Of Amount Present In Regular Enriched White Bread), Wheat Gluten, Soybean Oil, Salt, Dough Conditioners (May Contain: Mono and Diglycerides, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Datem, Sorbic Acid and or Calcium Dioxide), Vinegar, Soy Flour, Tricalcium Phosphate (Ingredients In Excess Of Amount Present In Regular Enriched White Bread), Yeast Nutrients (May Contain: Ammonium Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Ammonium Sulfate, Ammonium Chloride and or Diammonium Phosphate), Cornstarch, Wheat Starch, Enzymes, Calcium Propionate (to Retain Freshness), Whey, Soy Lecithin.

Hmm. No cumadin anywhere in there.

~not that I would eat that nasty bunny bread anyway; we call it an edible napkin, because you use it to put other food on it but it doesn't have much nutrition of it's own, to speak of, compared to a real whole grain bread.

However, the notion that "they" put rat poison in it is utterly ridiculous.
Old 26 August 2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragonfly View Post
~not that I would eat that nasty bunny bread anyway; we call it an edible napkin, because you use it to put other food on it but it doesn't have much nutrition of it's own, to speak of, compared to a real whole grain bread.

However, the notion that "they" put rat poison in it is utterly ridiculous.
I agree, the last time I ate white bread was the stuff that was made in my house. For some reason it had a lot more flavor than the stuff they call bread at the store.

The next time friend complains about poisons in food. Have them check the out the poisons in table salt.
Old 26 August 2009, 09:54 PM

Well dicoumarol was and is found on grains and works the same as warfarin. So if they are putting grains in bread then they are also putting in dicoumarol or rat poisoning. And now I will join reality.
Old 26 August 2009, 10:04 PM

"They" put rat poison in white bread, because rats like to eat white bread, and they don't like to eat poison. They being exterminators.
Old 26 August 2009, 10:11 PM

This doesn't explain why my roommate won't eat it.
Old 27 August 2009, 12:42 AM

RLS's post made me think, it's possible, in fact likely, that there are rats in bakeries (there are legends of the day they tore down the old bakery downtown, of thousands of rats fleeing) and that they put rat poison for the rats.

Hopefully none of either the rats or the poison makes it into the bread. As widely spread and talked about on the media as it is, when food contamination happens, I would think we'd hear about it if had- I don't recall hearing any such thing ever. I recall hearing of tainted meat, vegetables, Tylenol, peanuts, etc, but not white bread.
Old 27 August 2009, 02:19 AM

Mouse

But why only white bread? Do "they" not also put rat poison in whole wheat, rye, spelt, oatmeal, Roman Meal breads? How about French bread? Hamburger buns? Pita?
Old 27 August 2009, 08:37 AM

As it happens I have a friend who regularly feeds her husband rat poison.
Old 27 August 2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
This doesn't explain why my roommate won't eat it.
Obviously, your roommate is a rat. Perhaps you should move out.
Old 27 August 2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsie Plunkette View Post
But why only white bread? Do "they" not also put rat poison in whole wheat, rye, spelt, oatmeal, Roman Meal breads? How about French bread? Hamburger buns? Pita?
Well no, they aren't going to put poison in all them Foreign kinds of foods. These people are just out to get AMERICANS so only AMERICAN bread is going to have poison put in it, not Roman bread or things Scottish people would eat. "They" are most probably terrorists, or liberals.
Old 30 August 2009, 05:57 PM
Bassist

Icon204 Captain Obvious to the Rescue

You are all forgetting the obvious answer: Any of the chemicals listed in Snapdragonfly's post are toxic to rats (or any other animal) when ingested in excess, therefore "they" are purposefully putting poisons into our food all the time!
Old 30 August 2009, 06:31 PM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsie Plunkette View Post
But why only white bread?
Probably for the same reason that rats (and mice) only eat cheese that comes in triangular wedges.
Old 30 August 2009, 10:58 PM

One of the main adulterants of white bread in the 19th century was chalk. Unscrupulous bakers would put it into the loaves to make them lighter. This practice was banned.

In the 20th century, there was a fear that people needed more calcium in their diet, so bread manufacturers put calcium carbonate in the bread. Which is . . . . chalk.

Chuck "It's tobacco. The best thing for you." Rothman
Old 02 September 2009, 07:01 PM
fritos56

Bonsai Kitten They put rat Poision in white bread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
One of the main adulterants of white bread in the 19th century was chalk. Unscrupulous bakers would put it into the loaves to make them lighter. This practice was banned.

In the 20th century, there was a fear that people needed more calcium in their diet, so bread manufacturers put calcium carbonate in the bread. Which is . . . . chalk.

Chuck "It's tobacco. The best thing for you." Rothman
Thanks Chuck, I was just going to mention that.They also used I think anniline dyes in candy,etc. Because of such adulteration of food, the Pure Food and Drug Act came about in the 1900s.Also, another spur to come up with such an act,was the book,The Jungle,by Upton Sinclair which was an expose of the meat packing industry in Chicago.