snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 25 August 2009, 10:02 PM

Alligator Gatorcycle

Comment: I can't believe this is legal, much less that it isn't graphically put together. It is a motorcycle made from the hides and head of a Florida alligator. Please see if you can find out if it is true or not.

Old 25 August 2009, 10:11 PM

Not so much "made from" as "covered in"
Old 25 August 2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
I can't believe this is legal...
Why would it be illegal?

You would have to be careful getting on and off though, those osteoderms can be sharp.
Old 25 August 2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
...I can't believe this is legal, much less that it isn't graphically put together. ...
I believe there is a 'Gator hunting season in Florida so legality shouldn't be an issue.

I see no indication that the photo's have been 'shoped. They look real. Given what bikers will do to customize their ride this seems perfectly reasonable. Indeed, covering it in a gator skin might be cheaper than a custom paint job.
Old 26 August 2009, 02:53 AM

Here's another photo of it at Daytona Bike Week.

A slightly different alligator-hide bike was photographed at Key West Bike Week last year.

Here's what appears to be a third one.

It's quite legal - though for some reason the general public (including several scientists I worked with at a particular state university) seems to think American Alligators are still on the endangered species list and/or that a permit is required to own their skulls or hides. Not true; it's a felony to molest alligators, and a permit is required for hunting, trapping, and exhibition of live animals, but once they're dead, anyone can own their meat, bones, or tanned hides.
Old 26 August 2009, 04:20 PM

Alligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
It's quite legal - though for some reason the general public (including several scientists I worked with at a particular state university) seems to think American Alligators are still on the endangered species list and/or that a permit is required to own their skulls or hides. Not true; it's a felony to molest alligators, and a permit is required for hunting, trapping, and exhibition of live animals, but once they're dead, anyone can own their meat, bones, or tanned hides.

Oh, you meant "bother" not "bugger". Sorry.

Yes, I'm immature sometimes. I'm male, what do you expect?
Old 01 September 2009, 09:40 PM
rswarrior

I had read in a motorcycle magazine (which I evidently have since discarded since I can't find it) that one of these bikes was done up with fiberglas molds of alligators. It was featured as a reader's submission, and he had done the "alligator" in fiberglas just to be different, and look more aggressive than covering it in sheepskin or faux fur, as he had seen a year or so previously at a rally. In the post with the links, the one with the hide draped over the main parts of the bike looks quite real, but the frame looks painted.