snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 13 August 2009, 10:11 PM

Bear Grizzly Killed by Harley (dead animal, some blood)

Comment: Can you believe a Motorcycle killed this HUGE GRIZZLEY. This grizzly was hit by a Harley on Lolo Pass. This is the pass between Lolo, MT and Kooskia, ID. Look at the claws on that sucker! The biker made it thru after three days in the hospital! The hog's a wreck! Lesson learned: Don't go Bear Hunting with a Harley, they don't last but one hunt!

Old 13 August 2009, 10:29 PM

I beleive it is possible and this maybe the bear and the guy is lucky to be alive. All we have ia a picture of a dead grizzly that look to have died from some sort of trama. It would be easy to write a story to explain why it is dead.

A little internet search brought up this story that did not match the story.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...9-a40d28664690

The next news story I found was this.

Quote:
The big bear, estimated at 830-pounds and 12 years old, was hit by pickup near Lincoln, Montana.
Giant Grizzly Killed
Old 13 August 2009, 10:37 PM

Yeah, where's the motorcycle? All I see is a dead bear.
Old 13 August 2009, 10:46 PM

From the comments section of Singing in the Drizzle's second link:

Grizzly Killed by Pickup: The Photos
Old 14 August 2009, 12:49 AM
rswarrior

I was at a motorcycle rally last year. Two riders hit a two year old bear at highway speed. The bear ran away, angry but fully mobile. The bike was wrecked, and the two riders were shaken and bruised, but otherwise OK. Full leather riding gear kept them from getting severe road rash.
A bear that side likely wouldn't get killed by a motorcycle weighing about half as much as the bear. A pickup truck...sure.
Old 14 August 2009, 07:57 AM

A human can easily die after getting hit by a motorcycle. Sure, a grizzly is bigger and tougher, but it still dies from a cracked skull. It all depends on how you hit it.

On the other hand, a brown bear (the only bears we have here) got hit by a car just at the edge of my home town. Hunters and wildlife experts spent weeks trying to track it down and shoot it, as it was hurt and potentially dangerous. They never found it, so it can't have been that badly hurt...
Old 14 August 2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
A human can easily die after getting hit by a motorcycle. Sure, a grizzly is bigger and tougher, but it still dies from a cracked skull. It all depends on how you hit it.

On the other hand, a brown bear (the only bears we have here) got hit by a car just at the edge of my home town. Hunters and wildlife experts spent weeks trying to track it down and shoot it, as it was hurt and potentially dangerous. They never found it, so it can't have been that badly hurt...
Nitpick: Brown bears and grizzlies are the same kind of bear. Just thought I'd throw that out there as an interesting fact of the day.
Old 14 August 2009, 05:17 PM

Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PallasAthena View Post
Nitpick: Brown bears and grizzlies are the same kind of bear. Just thought I'd throw that out there as an interesting fact of the day.
Not precisely, according to nature.org:
Quote:
The brown bear includes many subspecies, including the Kodiak (Ursus arctos middendorfi) and Grizzly (Ursus arctos horribilis).
Old 15 August 2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PallasAthena View Post
They are related, but our bears (Ursus arctos arctos) are nowhere as large as a grizzly, topping out at a measly 300 kg.