Old 12 August 2009, 10:58 PM

Icon104 Employers pay Facebook to see private profiles

Comment: There is a rumor going on that employers can pay a fee to
Facebook to see profiles set as private. Employers are doing this to see
what their new or existing employees do in thier time away from work to
make hiring or promoting decisions. Could you guys please see if this
rumor is true?
Old 13 August 2009, 06:29 AM

I strongly doubt it, it would open Facebook up for big time legal retaliation. They wouldn't be so stupid.

It would probably also put the employer in a dangerous position.
Old 13 August 2009, 04:16 PM

Computer

There's nothing about it in their privacy settings or elsewhere in the fine print, FWIW.
Old 13 August 2009, 08:01 PM

Of course, an employer could see your list of friends, and contact one of them to see if they'd sell you out. But they'd have to be pretty savvy about who they picked to contact if they didn't want word getting back to you.

So that probably wouldn't work for investigating strangers, but it probably wouldn't be all that hard to bribe a coworker of an employee who already works for you who's your Facebook friend. That, or count on someone having "Remember me" checked on the website and just use their computer after hours to look at all their friends.

Hey, I should get a job as a corporate ethics consultant!

--Logoboros

Last edited by Logoboros; 13 August 2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 13 August 2009, 08:08 PM

Icon102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logoboros View Post
Of course, an employer could see your list of friends
Not necessarily. You can hide your friends list.
Old 13 August 2009, 08:43 PM

How may people will add someone to their friends list, just to add them with out any consideration as to who they are.
Old 13 August 2009, 09:04 PM

Fright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post
How may people will add someone to their friends list, just to add them with out any consideration as to who they are.
You would be surprised.
Old 13 August 2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
You would be surprised.
That the will or won't? My guess would be at least 70% will do this. I would be really surprised if it was the other way around.
Old 13 August 2009, 10:17 PM

Icon102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post
That the will or won't? My guess would be at least 70% will do this. I would be really surprised if it was the other way around.
Okay, we're probably we're in agreement, then.
Old 14 August 2009, 01:05 PM

I have a friend who repeated this one to me about two years ago. Her father is a hiring partner at a major NY law firm, and she claimed that he personally used the service. I took her at her word, until another friend, terrified that employers could see his Facebook page, called Facebook to ask about the policy. They made clear that there is no such program and that a person's privacy settings are what they are; there is no program to pay a fee to get around them.
Old 14 August 2009, 05:33 PM

If there were such a program it would be easy to find out wouldn't it? There are hundreds of thousands of business owners who would like to take advantage of such a thing and they would have to publicize it to them, right?
Old 14 August 2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz1980 View Post
If there were such a program it would be easy to find out wouldn't it? There are hundreds of thousands of business owners who would like to take advantage of such a thing and they would have to publicize it to them, right?
Indeed. I highly doubt that facebook would also directly violate their own terms of service. If they lied about the personal information that they were given they would get sued at the drop of the hat. Such a system would have to be disclosed, otherwise, it would be argued that information was transferred by fraud.
Old 08 September 2009, 04:59 AM
minimarmot

It's yet another conspiracy theory that relies a huge cabal of people keeping a secret (i.e. every Employer in the world) - one whistleblower, and it would all be over. If there was a breath of truth to it, a rival Social Network company would be all over Facebook faster and harder than the Soviets would have been over NASA if there was a breath of truth in moon-landing hoaxes. I'd bet that, as part of their due diligence, Facebook are required to hire agents provocateur to test the integrity of their system and their employees.
Old 27 September 2009, 09:22 PM
bl76km81

Default Hackers

I personally beleive that corporations have hackers on their staff, that could get into any facebook account, in a matter of minutes.

I have tried to convince my daughter that some of the pictures on her facebook, may be the reason why she cannot get a better paying job.
Old 28 September 2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl76km81 View Post
I personally beleive that corporations have hackers on their staff
All sworn into a code of secrecy, because it would be very bad publicity if anyone found out.
Old 28 September 2009, 03:20 PM

Depending on your privacy settings, like people said, they may not need to hack in, just be in the same network as you.

For example, my boss isn't my FB friend, but we're in the same networks, and I can see pretty much his whole profile and wall, I just can't post to it.
Old 28 September 2009, 06:46 PM

We now have guidelines on use of social networking sites. We've been reminded that we've all signed to Official Secrets Act and that our contracts prohibit disclosing company information. Most social networking sites have been blocked from work as well.

At one point at work, management demanded to know the details of all ebay accounts used by empoyees. To be fair, they'd just dismissed a guy for selling company equipment on ebay and he'd been doing this for quite a while before detection.
Old 28 September 2009, 07:22 PM

one major problem with this method of checking up on someone... ok so you can see the pictures of someone with your name in your city. How, prior to the first interview, can the prospective employer know that the profile belongs to the prospective employee... I was looking for an old friend, and after sifting through 5 pages of the name (not that common a name either) I gave up on looking for him. there are multiples of my name in my city as well. any employer will have a hard time finding me. I also use a different email address for job hunting than I do for everything else, (a nice clean gmail account) so if they search that they won't find anything either. only way they can find me is guess which one of them is me.

And if some other guy with my name has nasty photos on their facebook and a company thinks that's me and decides not to interview me. That's STUPID, and a reckless screening process for employers. John Smiths of the world are pretty much toast if that's a common policy... You'd be missing out on tons of people. and not everyone has a facebook profile, what if he doesn't have a profile but another guy with the same name has one, and the only picture he has up is of a scantily glad woman?
Old 30 September 2009, 01:48 AM
minimarmot

Quote:
All sworn into a code of secrecy, because it would be very bad publicity if anyone found out.
Precisely my point. You'd need a Propaganda-2 style conspiracy to pull this off. And given the high coincidence of skilled security hackers and anarchist / anti-corporate types, somebody would have blown the conspiracy by now, probably by slapping a scan of the nondisclosure agreement all over the internet, with the explicit intention of humilliating your company and Tha System by implication. Someone like that would gladly do 18 months for martyr points, and any number of ambitious lawyers riding the civil rights wagon would be queueing up to defend them.
Old 16 October 2009, 04:24 PM
WHATEVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
...To be fair, they'd just dismissed a guy for selling company equipment on ebay and he'd been doing this for quite a while before detection.
As I was reading this thread, I was thinking that if someone were to have something incriminating on their social networking page and were dumb enough to believe they wouldn't get caught, they deserve to be caught. It's the internet, folks. Don't believe that anything on it is private.

WHAT"Not in a weird, 'I'm wearing a tin foil hat' kind of way"EVER