snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 29 July 2009, 09:54 PM

Dog Pit Bull vs. Burglar (gruesome)

Comment: Is this story real?

GOOD Dog ...1 BAD Guy....0

The attached photos are from a burglary in one of our southern states.

The detective's name was deleted to protect the source. The photos are the results of a stupid burglar who failed to notice the resident had a pit bull for a pet or more accurately stated as a guard dog. It appears said burglar struck the dog on the head and failed to hit it hard enough.

The lesson learned here is thou shall not argue with a pit bull when burglarizing a home!!!!

Old 29 July 2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
The lesson learned here is thou shall not argue with a pit bull when burglarizing a home!!!!
Or, you know, don't burgle.
Old 29 July 2009, 10:07 PM

A human head is not where a dog would grab and hold an adult. If anything, that's more of a big cat behavior.
Old 29 July 2009, 10:09 PM

That body looks like it has a bit more decomposition going on than what would be there if this was a fresh attack. Of course, it could also be just the bad lighting.

My under-educated guess: plausible, but appears to be two different stories/pictures.
However, a pit sure could do that kind of damage, as could other types of dogs.
Old 29 July 2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
Or, you know, don't burgle.
and just don't argue with a mean, strong dog.
Old 29 July 2009, 10:21 PM

I am not a CSI, but that looks a shotgun blast to the face, and that is certainly not a dog who has just attacked someone. It is clean and calm, and doesn't seem to be in pain from its wound (ie, it's not fresh). If a dog had really attacked a human and done that to him, even in self-defense, it would be impounded by animal control, and probably euthanized in short order. If the owner contested the order for euthanization because the dog was attacked, the dead guy was trespassing, and the dog had never attacked before, was a family pet, etc., the media would probably have picked up the story, and we'd have heard it before.
Old 29 July 2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
I am not a CSI, but that looks a shotgun blast to the face, and that is certainly not a dog who has just attacked someone. It is clean and calm, and doesn't seem to be in pain from its wound (ie, it's not fresh). If a dog had really attacked a human and done that to him, even in self-defense, it would be impounded by animal control, and probably euthanized in short order. If the owner contested the order for euthanization because the dog was attacked, the dead guy was trespassing, and the dog had never attacked before, was a family pet, etc., the media would probably have picked up the story, and we'd have heard it before.
I was thinking that (didn't write it), but the lighting in the image is throwing me off a few things. Particularly his hand, it looks like bone showing, but then again, it could be the lighting.

It could be a gun blast, but it could also be someone falling from a 2/3rd story building too and hitting their head. Or anything else, but no, I don't believe it was a dog, let alone the one in the picture.

That's why I said plausible (that a dog could do that kind of damage) but I don't think it was this dog or the story that goes with it.
Old 31 July 2009, 12:04 AM

It doesn't look like a dog attack to me.AFAIK, they don't usually go for the top of the head, and I would think there would be defense wounds on the arm.
Old 31 July 2009, 12:10 AM

Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
A human head is not where a dog would grab and hold an adult. If anything, that's more of a big cat behavior.
Dogs trained in protection will go for the arm. Untrained ones typically go for the leg.

Sister "the pittie's cute, though" Ray
Old 31 July 2009, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Ray View Post
Dogs trained in protection will go for the arm. Untrained ones typically go for the leg.

Sister "the pittie's cute, though" Ray

Assuming he was standing, wouldn't the head be a bit of a reach for a pit bull? And wouldn't the dog have more blood on him? And wouldn't there be more defense wounds on both of them?

I vote highly unlikely.
Old 31 July 2009, 09:35 PM

I agree the pictures probably don't go together, but the photos of the man don't show much in the way of torso and legs. If a man has a fight with a pit bull, it's entirely likely he could end up kneeling, squatting, or falling, allowing clear access to the head and arms for a quick-moving doggie. Just because a man stands tall doesn't mean a short dog can't get to the head ... eventually.
Old 31 July 2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Ray View Post
Dogs trained in protection will go for the arm. Untrained ones typically go for the leg.....
Dogs who are trained and shy of confrontations go for the police.
Old 31 July 2009, 10:25 PM

FWIW, my first thought was "gunshot to the face," too.