snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Old Wives' Tales

Old 27 July 2009, 07:44 AM

Icon401 Eyebrows don't grow back

Comment: I have heard that if one were to shave off thier eyebrows that
they would not grow back. Is this true or false?
Old 27 July 2009, 08:14 AM

I can't see shaving having any long-term effect. Mine have been plucked so much (because in my teens eyebrows were supposed to be pencil thin) that many of the hairs gave up growing back and I'm waiting for an end to the current trend for thicker eyebrows!
Old 27 July 2009, 11:22 AM

Military

I lost mine at 18 during a short "accident" on my basic training (who knew that gas fumes were explosive?). They grew back for graduation, though.
Old 27 July 2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
I can't see shaving having any long-term effect. Mine have been plucked so much (because in my teens eyebrows were supposed to be pencil thin) that many of the hairs gave up growing back and I'm waiting for an end to the current trend for thicker eyebrows!
One of my aunts plucked her eyebrows so thoroughly and so long during the Joan-Crawford-pluck-them-off-and-draw-them-in-thick fad that they finally stopped growing back entirely, and she had to draw them in for the rest of her life. She did have sense enough to switch to a silver pencil once she let her hair go gray.

The bits of my eyebrows that are missing are due to hypothyroidism. They're not coming back.
Old 27 July 2009, 01:31 PM

I had heard that Lana Turner had shaved hers off and they never grew back in. This was in the pre-internet black and white years, though, so I had no way to determine if the legend was true.

OTOH, mine seem to grow back no matter what I do.
Old 27 July 2009, 01:39 PM

I can't seem to find a cite at the moment but I remember a segment on makeup on either HSN or QVC and the woman representing the particular company said she had shaved her eyebrows off back in the 80s and they never really grew back.

My personal experience is more like AnglRdr's. I pluck, wax and even sometimes shave that part where the unibrow grows in and it always grows back.
Old 27 July 2009, 01:40 PM

There was an article in the NYT recently about a new fad of bleaching, plucking or shaving the eyebrows to make them invisible.

And here I am drawing mine in every day.
Old 27 July 2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
There was an article in the NYT recently about a new fad of bleaching, plucking or shaving the eyebrows to make them invisible.
Why would someone want them invisible? I'm a big eyebrow fan, myself, though I must admit to liking Brooke Shields' more than Andy Rooney's.

Quote:
And here I am drawing mine in every day.
I can see how it might be a creative outlet.
Old 27 July 2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglRdr View Post
Why would someone want them invisible? I'm a big eyebrow fan, myself, though I must admit to liking Brooke Shields' more than Andy Rooney's.
Please don't ask me to explain NYC hipsters. Apparently it makes one look androgynous and somewhat extra-terrestrial. There were references to David Bowie.

Quote:
I can see how it might be a creative outlet.
Quite the PITA, actually. Especially since I also have to trim them once a week, because the few hairs that remain, if left alone, will grow quite long. I loved and miss Walter Cronkite, but I have no wish to emulate his eyebrows.
Old 27 July 2009, 01:57 PM

A few years ago when I had to revert to wearing glasses, the style of frame I had would occasionally make contact with the "unibrow" over the bridge of my nose. True to form this caused acne - really visible acne. So I started plucking and making two eyebrows. A few months of this and the "unibrow" is no more. There's still hair between the two, but it's more sparse and colourless. On the other hand, the rest of my eyebrows are going in the Andy Rooney or Brezhnev direction - I've had "alien" hairs in my eyebrows that are well over an inch long. Oh, the joys of aging....
Old 27 July 2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Mike View Post
On the other hand, the rest of my eyebrows are going in the Andy Rooney or Brezhnev direction - I've had "alien" hairs in my eyebrows that are well over an inch long. Oh, the joys of aging....
Be vigilant -- my brother and I can both testify that eyebrow hairs are capable of growing far longer than that.
Old 27 July 2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Mike View Post
I've had "alien" hairs in my eyebrows that are well over an inch long. Oh, the joys of aging....
I have a single alien hair in my right brow. It's white, wiry, grows askew and is long enough to hit the rim of my glasses. I suppose one day I'll be grateful for that one plucky hair trying to do the job of all the others that gave up the ghost due to plucking ....
Old 27 July 2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Please don't ask me to explain NYC hipsters. Apparently it makes one look androgynous and somewhat extra-terrestrial. There were references to David Bowie.
I think this link is required viewing for this thread. You don't realize how much you take eyebrows for granted (even heavily manicured ones) until they're gone...

Hot Chicks With No Eyebrows (More or less safe for work, at least as far as the first page goes.)

--Logoboros
Old 27 July 2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I can't seem to find a cite at the moment but I remember a segment on makeup on either HSN or QVC and the woman representing the particular company said she had shaved her eyebrows off back in the 80s and they never really grew back.
I heard this story about Mary Kay Ash. I think from my sister who briefly sold Mary Kay products.
Old 27 July 2009, 04:24 PM

A little off-topic, but I can confirm that ear hair grows back.
Old 27 July 2009, 05:05 PM

When I was 15 I was trying to trim my eyebrows for some reason (this was before I became a big dirty hippie) and I accidentally shaved off HALF of one eyebrow. I looked ridiculous for a few weeks and all of my friends at school made fun of me. But they eventually grew back.
Old 27 July 2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
When I was 15 I was trying to trim my eyebrows for some reason (this was before I became a big dirty hippie) and I accidentally shaved off HALF of one eyebrow.
That is why I use scissors.
Old 27 July 2009, 05:16 PM

Canada

Quote:
Be vigilant -- my brother and I can both testify that eyebrow hairs are capable of growing far longer than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
I have a single alien hair in my right brow. It's white, wiry, grows askew and is long enough to hit the rim of my glasses. I suppose one day I'll be grateful for that one plucky hair trying to do the job of all the others that gave up the ghost due to plucking ....
When I see Andy Rooney, I wonder how his eyebrows grow, because they all look like alien hairs at least an inch long. They look like they can be braided!

Actually, this brings up a point - my father has had incredible ear hair since he started wearing in-the-ear hearing aids. Before this, it was pretty minor, but the potential seemed to be there (since one of his younger brothers has ear hair like a caterpillar). Does touching the skin stimulate hair growth for "protective hair" like ear hair or eyebrows? My "unibrow" seemed to stop growing back after I got laser surgery and stopped needing glasses. I've heard the opposite for head hair and general body hair - that repeated contact and friction causes it to wear off.
Old 27 July 2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
When I was 15 I was trying to trim my eyebrows for some reason (this was before I became a big dirty hippie) and I accidentally shaved off HALF of one eyebrow. I looked ridiculous for a few weeks and all of my friends at school made fun of me. But they eventually grew back.
I have a friend who did the same, I think he went all in and shaved both of them completely off so they'd at least look the same growing back in.

The lesson is: If, while shaving your head with no guard, and trimming your beard with a #2 guard, you get the wild idea to trim your eyebrows, make sure the #2 guard is on the razor before going for it.
Old 27 July 2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logoboros View Post
I think this link is required viewing for this thread. You don't realize how much you take eyebrows for granted (even heavily manicured ones) until they're gone...
You're telling me. Last month I tweezed mine away. Like, they were gone. NOTHING. Kaput.

It looked abysmal. Also, stuff would get into my eyes and they felt pretty itchy that first week or so. I drew them in pretty well so they looked okay when I would have my faux brows on, but now I'm at an awkward stage as I wait for my brows to fill out. They don't look terrible but I should have left well enough alone Ugh.

Just found the Times article. Had no idea I was on the cutting edge. But really, it was a bad look. I always that that the people telling me my eyebrows were too thin and to cut out the over tweezing (before I went all the way) were just...I don't know, paranoid or something. I wish I'd listened!