snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Old Wives' Tales

Old 24 July 2009, 08:43 PM

Default Sleep in multiples of 90 minutes

I have a friend who insists that one should always set the alarm clock for an interval of 90 minutes from when one goes to sleep. IOW, it if you go to bed at ten, set the alarm for 5:30 a.m. or 7:00 a.m. but not 6:00 or 6:30 a.m. This is said to make it much easier to wake up feeling refreshed.

Where does this belief come from? Is it just taking the concept of sleep cycles a little too literally? Is there anything to it at all?
Old 24 July 2009, 08:52 PM

The following blog has some references and quotes from a couple of websites. It's two to three topics down.

http://www.glenrhodes.com/
Old 24 July 2009, 11:25 PM

Whalephant

I was told (by a non-scientist, non-doctor friend) that the natural sleep cycle was 45 minutes long. This seems to fit my personal experience more closely than the idea of a 90-minute sleep cycle.

Silas (yawn....)
Old 25 July 2009, 12:22 AM

Icon204

From what I remember, learning this in college, is that sleep cycles are variable from person to person and also within an individuals' night sleep. Cycles grow shorter and shorter as a person sleeps, so even if a person cycles at 90 minutes at first, it may be as little as 45 minutes in the hours before he or she wakes up.
Old 25 July 2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
I have a friend who insists that one should always set the alarm clock for an interval of 90 minutes from when one goes to sleep. IOW, it if you go to bed at ten, set the alarm for 5:30 a.m. or 7:00 a.m. but not 6:00 or 6:30 a.m. This is said to make it much easier to wake up feeling refreshed.

Where does this belief come from? Is it just taking the concept of sleep cycles a little too literally? Is there anything to it at all?
I take it this person does not have a small child.
Old 27 July 2009, 05:47 AM

Crash

reciently watched a seinfied episode where kramer thougt it would be great to sleep in only 20 min increments and he figures that he can fit more things in the day
Old 27 July 2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
reciently watched a seinfied episode where kramer thougt it would be great to sleep in only 20 min increments and he figures that he can fit more things in the day
I vaguely remember this. I was always jeallous of horses, who sleep for 20 minutes at a time. As much as I need it and love it, I think its a waste of time. Imagine all we could get done in that extra 8 hours!