snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Urban Legends

Old 23 July 2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragonfly View Post
Oh, we've got a good one, it even got made into a movie. Any fans of B horror movies, in particular those by Charles B. Pierce? A native of this area, he did The Legend of Boggy Creek, which is based on local sightings of a Bigfoot type monster - the "Fouke Monster" - in a small town right out side Texarkana.(pronounced "Falk" for some unknown reason.)
I have a MST3K DVD with the sequel to that movie on it. I don't remember many particulars, besides it being awful.
Old 23 July 2009, 05:44 PM

One of the local legends I can think of offhand is about public school #4. It's a really old abandoned school building that is pretty popular among ghost hunters and teenagers who like to sneak into old abandoned buildings.

Supposedly public school 4 is haunted. One of the legends says that the reason the school was closed down was because there was a furnace explosion back in the 60's that killed many students and some of the faculty as well, another says that the principal was a cannibal who ate some of the students. The general consensus seems to be that it was shut down b/c it's literally right next to the interstate overpass, and hard to get to.

It is a really creepy building though, lots of rooms in weird places, and the ceiling to the auditorium collapsed years ago, which makes it really creepy at night.

here's a link with some pictures showing how very close it is to the interstate.
Old 24 July 2009, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
Today a colleague told me he'd like to go diving in a local reservoir because "there's a whole village down there".
The funny thing is there really is the remnants of an old ghost town under our reservoir. Here are some pictures of what little remains of it that I took when the water level was very low a few years back. And more from another site.

As to actual local legends, I suppose it's a bit of a legend that Johnny Cash was once an inmate in Folsom Prison. He was in fact never incarcerated here; that song is entirely a work of fiction.

Going back to my old stomping grounds, when I was growing up everyone "knew" that this old plantation house was haunted. The family that lived there told stories of supposed encounters with the ghost.
Old 25 July 2009, 06:18 PM
bjohn13

Legends abound about the old abandoned Absaraka church. If one looks into the front window of the church, one can see a bluish purple glowing cross hovering in the air above the altar. My belief is that it was simply the way the light reflected through the window (or some such thing), but I do remember seeing a show on TV about it once. Yes, I went to go see it.

Another legend that I always got a laugh out of was about a huge dirt pile that used to exist on the south end of town. Rumor had it that someone had tried to build a ski resort but didn't count on the fact that the silty soil tends to shift a lot, and putting a lot of weight on it is usually not a good idea.

Cow tipping seems to be a popular endeavor in these parts. As someone who has actually tried tipping a cow with no success, I tend to just walk away from people who claim to have actually tipped a cow before.
Old 25 July 2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
Are there any local ULs attached to your region?

Today a colleague told me he'd like to go diving in a local reservoir because "there's a whole village down there".
Local legends anyone?
Strangely I was recently assured by a friend that there was a 'whole drowned village' in Cluanie Loch, which is a hydro-power reservoir. I've checked the old OS maps (easy when they are on the works computer) and he is entirely wrong. All that's drowneded are two smaller lochs, Loch Lundie and Loch Beagh which got subsumed when the levels rose.
I think it is a default assumption in the UK that all reservoirs drowned villages!

Last edited by Moku; 25 July 2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 25 July 2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htonl View Post
In central Cape Town there's some unfinished highway construction that's been that way for several decades. (Here's a picture of one part.) Everyone seems to have a different story about why it wasn't finished
There is a bit of motorway in the West Midlands (can't quite remember the road numbers but near West Brom) where there is a fly-over. At one point the beam supporting the upper motorway projects well beyond the deck of the road and the column is placed at its end. I was once assured by a friend that this was because they had built in capacity to widen the upper road at a later date.
He wasn't impressed when I pointed out that the bits of beam for the other columns didn't extend that far, but that if the one he was pointing to didn't extend, the column would be in the middle of the bit of road we had just driven along.
I sometimes wonder how many other people he had told his 'factoid'.
Old 30 July 2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning View Post
Across the river is The Mothman.

There was a Richard Gere movie made. I'm told it is awful.
I read Mom's copy of the book when I was a teen, and was just completely and utterly enthralled by the whole situation. I was so excited when the movie came out (despite the presence of Richard Gere, who for some reason, has always given me the willies, even before I heard that urban legend).

You're right. The movie is awful.

As far as my home town - we had a road not far from my house, referred to as "White Lane." It's since been reassigned a number for E911 purposes. But there were always stories of cars mysteriously dying on the road then starting again when pushed or towed off, stories of horses that wouldn't dare take that road, mysterious sightings. The road was horrendously creepy and lined with a ton of old, dead trees and a couple of abandoned farmhouses. As tweens, one of my friends and I went biking out there, and got ourselves good and scared spitless relating the tales along the journey.

Other than that, about half an hour away in Atchison, Kansas, we had our own "Albino Woman" in one of the local graveyards, and "Molly's Hollow," a small forrested area with a screeching ghost of a hanged woman.

Oh, and of course, the pride of northeastern Kansas, the tale of how the founder of neighboring St. Joseph, Missouri, Joseph Robidoux, was a horse thief kicked out of Kansas. Of course, I can find no support for this whatsoever via a quick google search, but it's a very popular story in Doniphan County, Kansas.
Old 01 August 2009, 06:42 AM

Well, my favorite from Bloomington came from a tale about an RA who threw herself down the stairs in my dorm. Rumor had it that if you went to the stair well at midnight on the night she died, you'd be able to hear her scream. My friend and I who both lived in Read were thinking about listening in on the night (December 13th, I believe), but then realized there were, like...6 stairwells in read and we didn't know which one to go to

Stepp Family cemetery in the local Hoosier National forest has a few different tales too. Same above friend and I have actually gone to sit around at night, but we always get bored and covered in bug bites, which doesn't really make anything creepy inasmuch as itchy. Alas.
Old 19 August 2009, 09:25 PM
fritos56

Default Local Legends

Out at Randolph Air Force Base, near San Antonio, Tx, is a creek known as Woman Hollering Creek. It starts at the back of th ebase by the golf course and eventually runs into Cibolo Creek.
There are several stories on how it got it's name. One is that one day a woman went to the creek to get water or wash clothes, while there, she was attacked by native americans, and yelled for help.This was back in the days before the railroad came through the area, and the land was pretty wild.
Another theory is that the woman went there with her children,and one of the little ones fell into the creek,again the woman yelling for help.
www.texasescapes.com has something on it .
There is also the Legend of the Converse Werewolf. Converse is about a couple of miles from Randolph. Supposedly back in the 1880s, a rancher or farmer who lived in the area sent his son out to go kill a deer for dinner.
Well the young man was gone for several days and his father got worried.So the father and the friends went out and searched for him.The father finally found his son, he was dead, and held in the arms of a large wolf-man creature,who was chewing on him. He shot at the beast,but it escaped.
the family buried the son,and the father later died of a broken heart.
There really is not much on the legend on the net.
Old 21 August 2009, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerdog View Post
The "Bunnyman Bridge" is only a hop and skip from my house!
I was going to mention this one, because I used to live near it too.

There's so much old stuff where I live now, so mostly just ghost stories.
Old 21 August 2009, 06:09 AM

I don't know if this counts, but in a rather old book I read, and have lost, it was claimed there were the ruins of a rather grand Roman Villa on the hills overlooking Marden (Kent England) which one could go and gawk at.

But I cannot find anything on the interweb to support that, or give me a clue as to where it might be, if it even exists.
Old 21 August 2009, 06:39 AM

I went to the local reservoir a few weekends ago and they had the history of it there. There isn't a whole drowned village, but a big house (which should have been listed and preserved) and 11 cottages (I'm guessing they were tied to the estate of the big house) were demolished and the stonework used in the construction of the reservoir.
Old 14 September 2009, 07:49 AM

Llewtrah, is that Hanningfield reservoir? (feature of my childhood for birdwatching, and cycling ride landmark!).

Anyway, I have a couple of legends from West Lothian (they belong properly to Mr Embra, rather than to me):

1. A house is buried under the "fifth bing" of the Five Sisters shale bings. The house belongs to an "old lady who didn't want to move. They got her out but the house still has all the furniture in it". This story seems similar to "drowned village" legends, except that a shale bing develops only gradually, so I would have thought there would have been plenty of time to get the furniture out!

2. A UFO was sighted at Dechmont Law.

3. In the 70s burglars tried to break into the recently-opened Woolco store in Livingston through the ventilations system. One of them fell down a shaft, breaking his neck. The other fled. Shoppers eventually noticed a strange smell and the dead man was discovered. Mr Embra's dad says he knew the accomplice in the case.

Where we live now, a local woman once pretended to have given birth to rabbits.
Old 17 September 2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
I don't know if this counts, but in a rather old book I read, and have lost, it was claimed there were the ruins of a rather grand Roman Villa on the hills overlooking Marden (Kent England) which one could go and gawk at.

But I cannot find anything on the interweb to support that, or give me a clue as to where it might be, if it even exists.
Are you sure it wasn't Marden in Sussex?

There are villas at Up Marden and West Marden near Chichester. 'Grand' wouldn't really describe the visible remains of either of them, though, as Up Marden doesn't seem to have ever been fully excavated (http://www.romansinsussex.co.uk/leve...?sitenumber=42) and all the 'Roman Sussex' website has to say about West Marden is: "Watergate Hanger, West Marden (SU7712) is a modest villa on the South Downs, consisting initially of a three roomed cottage, and later transforming into a winged corridor villa. Mosaics were found in some of the rooms."
Old 17 September 2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embra View Post
Llewtrah, is that Hanningfield reservoir? (feature of my childhood for birdwatching, and cycling ride landmark!).
Yep - it's Hanningfield. Fremnells (which might have rivalled Hylands) and a bunch of cottages were dismantled rather than flooded (the stonework got reused). As teens, friends and I used to cycle around that way and feed the ducks and geese. It now has a nice wildlife reserve - good for chilling out if I have a half-day at work.

Another local tale I know is that of the duel on Deadman's Lane, Galleywood (between Beehive Lane and Watchouse Road). It was told to me in the early 90s by a lady in her 80s who lived on a smallholding there According her, 2 men fought over a woman and one was shot dead. I can't remember if the other also supposedly died and whether the woman ended up dead as well, as tends to happen in tragic folktales. Anyhow, that's supposedly how it got its name. I don't know when the event supposedly took place and can't find written sources.
Old 17 September 2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Eight View Post
Are you sure it wasn't Marden in Sussex?

There are villas at Up Marden and West Marden near Chichester. 'Grand' wouldn't really describe the visible remains of either of them, though, as Up Marden doesn't seem to have ever been fully excavated (http://www.romansinsussex.co.uk/leve...?sitenumber=42) and all the 'Roman Sussex' website has to say about West Marden is: "Watergate Hanger, West Marden (SU7712) is a modest villa on the South Downs, consisting initially of a three roomed cottage, and later transforming into a winged corridor villa. Mosaics were found in some of the rooms."
Nope, it described many of the other features of Marden, Kent exactly.

I personally think they ran out of interesting things to write about, and made something up. Or the author was working from word of mouth and confused the two Mardens in regards to the villa.
Old 17 September 2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
Or the author was working from word of mouth and confused the two Mardens in regards to the villa.
That's not uncommon. I've seen things written about places I know and thought "what the heck?" and a little searching online shows that information from one town/village has been attached to a place with the same name in a different county. I've even watched a whole Time Team programme that seemed to be set in a place I know (and wondered throughout why I'd never heard of the historic ruins they were excavating) before I found out it was a town with the same name in another part of the country. Even authorities get it wrong e.g. when awarding grants to the wrong Newcastle!
Old 17 September 2009, 12:48 PM

Well thank you Mr Dozy author for letting me scour the Weald for this mythical villa.

I should add this was long before the rise of the internet, and even Marden library doesn't have many books about Marden. 75% of their books are bonkbuster novels.
Old 17 September 2009, 03:09 PM

We've got the Beast of Bray Road (Google Search results). It isn't too far from where I live and I've driven by the area many times (just a few weeks ago, in fact, on the way to Kenosha).

Kat once got lost out in those backroads after a concert. There was dense fog and her friend (the driver) got turned around and they ended up zig-zagging all around. It was so foggy that they could barely see and were driving slow. Kat said it was a horror movie moment- three young girls, one was wearing inappropriate-for-running shoes, one was a minority, there was a virgin just accepted to college on a scholarship, and the slightly promiscuous girl with the heart of gold. And of course, there was only one of the girls who could drive... and if she'd have gotten out of the car to check what that "thumping noise" was... she would have been eaten! And of course, the one with the high-heeled shoes would have gotten out to see where their friend went, leaving only the virgin-college student who didn't know how to drive.

But that's not really the UL...
Old 19 September 2009, 03:42 AM

Vanishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Bob View Post
On a similar note, there is a giant hammerhead shark that lives off the coast that is known as "Hitler" (never heard why, assumed it had something to do with the U-Boat). The shark is huge, one person I know said he was fishing and looked over the side of his boat to see one wye of the shark a few feet out from the boat. Looking out the other side he could see the other eye a few feet out from that side. That would put the distance from one eye to the other in the neighborhood of fifteen to twenty feet. I first heard of the creature back in the seventies and still hear about his on occasion (haven't heard of any sightings lately, just stories).

We also have our share of ghost stories.

Photo "not FOAF stories, just AF stories" Bob
They call it Hitler because the hammer part looks like a moustache. We think it was caught last year, a huge female, pregnant, a world record for the type of line/tackle used. It was caught by the same guy who caught the hammerhead this year and Mote wouldn't take the body.

One of the charter fishermen was hooked up with an even larger hammerhead a few years ago, though. He was hooked up for 13 or so hours after a tarpon tournament before the shark broke the line, but he says it was at least 16' long.

Anyway, I work at a lighthouse that is reputed to be the most haunted in Florida. The story here is that one of the lighthouse keeper's daughters died, and that you can hear her playing jacks upstairs. One of the keepers did have a young daughter die of scarlet fever back before the bridge to the island was built, but I've been in the lighthouse til all hours, and haven't heard anything. And my office is where it is supposed to happen. On the other hand, there is a local firefighter who won't go upstairs because he saw something in the attic when they were doing the annual inspection a few years back.