snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 18 July 2009, 10:35 PM

Wolf Large wolf (hunting photo)

Comment: I received an email saying that the attached picture is of a wolf that was shot just east of Yellowstone park.

Old 18 July 2009, 11:04 PM

Hmm. Probably a short man, and dogs for some reason seem to look a lot bigger when they are stood up like that. I guess I'm seeing the big dilly-o here.
Old 18 July 2009, 11:14 PM

I could take a similar picture of myself with my friend's Alaskan Malamute, a breed, which, according to Wiki, is smaller than wolves.
Old 19 July 2009, 12:08 AM

Wolf

This photo was posted at a website called Hunt and Tell, and says that the wolf was "found" near Edson, Alberta.

http://www.huntandtell.com/tag/wolf/

Alpine Outfitters of Grande Prairie, Alberta, have photos of similarly sized wolves on their website.

http://www.alpineoutfitters.ca/alberta_wolf_hunts.asp
Old 19 July 2009, 08:27 AM

All that picture does is make me sad. What a beautiful wolf, obviously healthy and doing well in the habitat, and some idiot shot it just because.
Old 19 July 2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamamander View Post
All that picture does is make me sad. What a beautiful wolf, obviously healthy and doing well in the habitat, and some idiot shot it just because.
We don't know the context of why the wolf was shot. Perhaps it was "some idiot" shooting it for sport, but that's not necessarily the case. Wolves are included in predator control programs in Alaska and parts of Canada to keep the populations manageable and protect livestock. About 15% of the wolf population is culled in those areas each year, though I believe it is regulated and the allowed hunting is adjusted depending on the wolf population.
Old 24 September 2009, 03:51 PM

Wolf

Comment: This wolf was shot recently in Drayton Valley, Alberta .which is near Edmonton about 3 hours North of Calgary. The wolf weighed over 230 lbs smashing the previous record of 175 lbs. Wouldn't want to run into this puppy in the woods.

Apparently a bear hunter witnessed this wolf chase off a big black bear at his baiting station.
Old 04 October 2009, 03:38 AM
keepyourkiltdown

Quote:

I agree. We spend all this time and effort trying to grow the population when they are endangered, then when they thrive (surprise, surprise) they start hunting them again.
Old 28 October 2009, 08:35 PM

Wolf

Comment: This Wolf was shot recently in Morden, Manitoba ....which is about 75 miles south of Winnipeg. The wolf weighs over 230lbs smashing the previous record of 175lbs.

Wouldn't want to run into this puppy in the woods. In fact it wasn't shot in the woods, it was shot on the beach at Lake Minniwasta, after swimming the length of the Lake in pursuit of a deer.

Apparently a bear hunter witnessed this wolf chase off a big black bear at his baiting station.
Old 05 November 2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:

hmmm, healthy? Looks quite dead to me.
Old 17 December 2009, 07:58 PM

Wolf

Comment: If this doesn't scare you to death...I don't know what would. They are not just staying away from us, you know.
You could run into this any time you take your family out camping, fishing, hiking, or step onto your back porch now. Except,
probably not just ONE.

These guys are eating the Elk wintering in Sun Valley and Ketchum, right in peoples yards now. The Elk have migrated and
wintered in the Wood River Valley before there was a Ketchum or Elkhorn...last year a pack of wolves tree'd a mountain lion,
and ripped him from the tree, and tore him to bits, right in the valley near homes.

If you go to Idaho Fish and Game website, they have a map, that has dots on it that shows where wolves have been sighted
....they are EVERYWHERE now. In Pocatello, in the South Hills, and in the canyon, in Boise, in every nick and corner now...and
crossing state lines too..Good luck Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Wyoming, Utah, and Montana...they know no boundaries.

They have flourished and populated....they have no natural predator, and kill everything you can imagine. So all other animals
are their food now, and we will be too.

Do you have any doubt now, from the size of this animal, that they have no trouble taking down Elk? Or a mountain Lion.....Or
elephants if we had them!!! They have a healthy appetite. And are depending on us to feed them. There are no creatures safe
from these killing machines.
Old 17 December 2009, 08:14 PM

Have wolves ever seen humans and large mammals as natural prey? And wouldn't we as the species with shotguns sort of be a match for wolves and their complete lack of weaponry and opposable thumbs? Apparently they do naturally prey on ungulates. Last I checked though, humans were not ungulates. It should be pointed out that wolves have always been spotted in those places. Also, you are probably going to spot more than one wolf if you spot a wolf at all seeing as how they're pack animas. All in all, you aren't anymore likely to be eaten by a wolf now than you were 20 years ago.
Old 18 December 2009, 12:26 PM

Reading

[Edited by moderator to remove pointless reproduction of entire previous post.]

Quote:
Do you have any doubt now, from the size of this animal, that they have no trouble taking down Elk? Or a mountain Lion.....Or
elephants if we had them!!! They have a healthy appetite. And are depending on us to feed them. There are no creatures safe
Yes, I'm sure these wolves would quickly wipe out any elephant population. The alarmist tone here scares me far more than any four legged critter would.
Old 18 December 2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Witch View Post
I could take a similar picture of myself with my friend's Alaskan Malamute, a breed, which, according to Wiki, is smaller than wolves.
Plus the guy is holding the wolf up infront of himself, hence closer to the camera making it look bigger. Plus he appears to be literally bending over backwards trying to hold the thing up.
Old 18 December 2009, 01:50 PM

Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Duck View Post
Have wolves ever seen humans and large mammals as natural prey?
I beleive that wolves, in packs, do hunt moose. However, IIRC, there are no reported cases of humans being killed by wolves. Generally wolves are smart and have learned that humans are dangerous.
Old 18 December 2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
These guys are eating the Elk wintering in Sun Valley and Ketchum, right in peoples yards now. The Elk have migrated and
wintered in the Wood River Valley before there was a Ketchum or Elkhorn...last year a pack of wolves tree'd a mountain lion,
and ripped him from the tree, and tore him to bits, right in the valley near homes.
I think they have it backwards. The wolves are eating elk on their hunting ground and humans just happen to put a yard in their way.
Old 18 December 2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
There are no creatures safe
I'd love to find the author of this comment and beat them.

What an ignorant, alarmist load of dross.
Old 18 December 2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post

What an ignorant, alarmist load of dross.
Sounds like any hunter or sheep farmer (in most cases the same persons) in those parts of Sweden where there are wolves. The fact that analyses have shown that most sheep killed by "wolves" have in fact been killed by dogs and that far more dogs get shot or killed by cars than by wolves has not hindered them from enforcing a limited protective wolf hunt.
Old 18 December 2009, 05:23 PM

Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
Feminists. There is no creature safe from these killing machines!
Old 18 December 2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Feminists. There is no creature safe from these killing machines!
Take that back before I rip off your...

*cough* Now why would you say such a thing Richard?