snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Old Wives' Tales

Old 18 July 2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachrymose View Post
Madness?

THIS....IS.....TAMPAX!
Spell to induce madness: Menstruatus tampax! (wave wand)
Old 18 July 2009, 05:08 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
Um isn't it a long running myth that if a menstruating woman walks through a field of crops, she will "spoil" the crop? It just sounds like an extension of that.
Yes, the myth of menstruating women's spoiling crops is an old one. I get into in our article about Menstrual Myths. The contamination by touch (or by sheer proximity) beliefs affect not only foodstuffs a menstruating woman might walk near (such as fruits still on the tree or vegetables still in the ground), but prepared foods she might take a hand in making (mayonnaise, canned food, jam or jelly, butter, bread).
Old 18 July 2009, 08:23 PM

I think anyone who believes that at least owes us the explanation of the potential mechanism of how that works.

On the main page I've read many preposterous things, you and snopes have debunked over the years, and I think "how could anyone even believe that in the first place - let alone a significant enough number of persons that it even needs addressing?" I guess my faith in humanity is misplaced
Old 18 July 2009, 08:47 PM

Uh, well, the fact is that blood can umm, how do I put this-- I don't know about pickles, but it definately will cause milk to curdle, and really could spoil stuff, so in the days before handwashing, umm, I suppose it is possible that accidentally introducing blood, menstrual or otherwise, could ruin food that was being prepared. Yes, I know that kitchens had animal blood in them, o this is really a bit of a WAG, and I'm sure there was a lot of the "yeah, sorry, not my week for canning-- I'll get right on that next week," involved as well, but possibly an observation that a slightly greater tendency of food not to come out right when prepared by a menstruating woman led to women seizing a clear opportunity. I'm pretty sure I'd do it, if I'd lived 10,000 years ago.

"Oop, gotta go to the menstrual hut."
"Umm, isn't that the third time this month?"
"Uh, no. You must be confused by all the calendar changes. Bye."
Old 19 July 2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
"Oop, gotta go to the menstrual hut."
"Umm, isn't that the third time this month?"
"Uh, no. You must be confused by all the calendar changes. Bye."
Cue well-worn party joke:

He: Fancy coming home with me tonight?
She: I'm on my menstrual cycle.
He: That's okay, I'll follow you on my motorbike.

I once got out of a holiday hike in hot climes (ex's idea of fun, I hate the heat) because the destination was a shrine and I was "unclean" at the time. I stayed in a chady cafe sipping fresh juice and he got all hot, dusty and covered in scrapes and scratches. Yay for being unclean
Old 19 July 2009, 04:55 PM

Good thing I did my gardening yesterday. Aunt Flo has come for one of her increasingly less frequent visits. God, I can't wait for her not to visit any more. And, as I say mood swings "I DON'T HAVE MOOD SWINGS, WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM." O.K. maybe I do, but I try to keep them light and witty, as much as possible.
Old 19 July 2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterscotchCat View Post
Good thing I did my gardening yesterday. Aunt Flo has come for one of her increasingly less frequent visits. God, I can't wait for her not to visit any more. And, as I say mood swings "I DON'T HAVE MOOD SWINGS, WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM." O.K. maybe I do, but I try to keep them light and witty, as much as possible.
Well it depends now. Do you grow cucumbers/zucchini/gherkins in your garden? If so I can see your very real concern. If you don't then hey no worries.
Old 19 July 2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I think anyone who believes that at least owes us the explanation of the potential mechanism of how that works.
Because you can't trust something that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't bleed?

Didn't the bible say something about not coming in contact with menstrating women?

Triple "Because menstruating women are EEEEEE-VIL"AAA
Old 19 July 2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Well it depends now. Do you grow cucumbers/zucchini/gherkins in your garden? If so I can see your very real concern. If you don't then hey no worries.
Yes, crookneck squash and cucumbers (yum, homegrown cucs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleAAA View Post
Because you can't trust something that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't bleed?
Actually, I think that is a quote from Southpark. "How can you trust someone who bleeds for 7 days and does't die." When I first heard that, I was mortified. Then the joke sunk in and I laughed until tears streamed from my eyes and had to say "Help, Can't breathe, Can't breathe".

Last edited by ButterscotchCat; 19 July 2009 at 11:22 PM. Reason: add image
Old 19 July 2009, 11:26 PM

I was trying to insert a photo of my cucumbers we picked yesterday. The ones we didn't eat. So here goes. http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...2/100_0465.jpg There, that's better. I always have a hard time remembering how to link through Photobucket. Maybe I need to make myself some crib notes
Old 20 July 2009, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Yes, crookneck squash and cucumbers (yum, homegrown cucs)
Oh stop it with your photopokery. Damnit I was hungry enough already.

Eta: Southpark might have used that "joke" but it was around a long time before Southpark was even concieved of.

It's actually "I don't trust something that bleeds for seven days and doesn't die."

Last edited by Eddylizard; 20 July 2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 20 July 2009, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Oh stop it with your photopokery. Damnit I was hungry enough already.

It's actually "I don't trust something that bleeds for seven days and doesn't die."
Sorry, my cucs are good.

I don't know where the bleeds for 7 days came from. But still, when I saw/heard on Southpark, again I will say at first I was mortified. Then it was "Help, Can't breathe, Cant't breathe" Have you ever had a laughing experience where you laugh so hard that you can't breathe?

Many a year ago, I went to the theater to see one of the Pink Panther movies. I was the same way, "Help, Can't breathe!"
Old 20 July 2009, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Sorry, my cucs are good.
So that boasting about the quality of your homegrown cucumbers is supposed to help me when I'm hungry? Yah know it would be kinder just to lie and say they are aweful.
Old 20 July 2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
A former co-worker had a theory that some primitive tribes' practice of isolating menstruating women was originally the women's idea, so they could go to "the hut" for a week and get away from the family.

"And then, when I'm finished, I'll need a special purifying bath, with lots of herbs and flower petals. And I should probably stay in there for a long time, without being disturbed. . . "
I read this in one of Madeleine L'Engle's books--I think it might have been Acceptable Time, where Mrs. Murray hypothesizes this in speaking. I think it's because they're talking about the nature of blood in general.
Old 20 July 2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Actually, I think that is a quote from Southpark. "How can you trust someone who bleeds for 7 days and does't die."
Never mind being used by South Park, that quote (with varying numbers of days) is older than I am.
Old 21 July 2009, 04:05 AM

It's sufficiently well known that the punchline appears in the movie In the Company of Men without any setup (i.e. "Why can't you trust women?").
Old 21 July 2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
It seems to me I heard this one before, and it seemed like nonsense then, too.
I'm sure it's nonsense as well, unless the the woman also happens to be spraying round up as she walks through the cucumber patch (Are cucumbers grown in patches? Fields?) Still it's really old nonsense...

Chp. 20 of Fraizer's "Golden Bough"

The short chapter is entitled "Women tabooed at Menstruation and Childbirth" and describes numerous folk practices relating to taboos toward menstration.

Some of my favorites include:

Quote:
Among the Bribri Indians of Costa Rica a menstruous woman is regarded as unclean. The only plates she may use for her food are banana leaves, which, when she has done with them, she throws away in some sequestered spot; for were a cow to find them and eat them, the animal would waste away and perish.
Quote:
As the garments which have been touched by a sacred chief kill those who handle them, so do the things which have been touched by a menstruous women.
Quote:
While in that awful state, she had to abstain from touching anything belonging to man, or the spoils of any venison or other animal, lest she would thereby pollute the same, and condemn the hunters to failure
Nutty!

-Winged Monkey
Old 21 July 2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
While in that awful state, she had to abstain from touching anything belonging to man, or the spoils of any venison or other animal, lest she would thereby pollute the same, and condemn the hunters to failure
Well, if you can't touch anything belonging to a man, you won't have to do his laundry -- or him, for that matter. And if you can't touch the spoils of an animal, you can't clean it or cook it.

Wacky and insulting, yes, but there are advantages.
Old 22 July 2009, 12:03 AM

Ponder

The professor who taught my Old English course in college brought up menstrual taboos in a lecture once. As he explained it, taboos often form around things that defy neat classification, and menstruation is one of those things: it involves bleeding and pain, usually signs of illness, but it's also a sign that a woman is healthy and fertile.
Old 23 July 2009, 08:13 PM

Frying Pan

Quote:

Braggert.

It's interesting that Flanders the Belgian Malinut doesn't shove her nose in my crotch unless Aunt Flo is in town. As I'm shooing her away, I tell her, 'why yes I am on the rag!'